Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting documentary - Garment District NYC

babs

A-List Customer
SCHMATTA: Rags to Riches to Rags

http://www.blowbackproductions.com/schmatta.shtml

Stumbled on this one last night and became engulfed. Fascinating look at the history of the clothing industry and fashion and design and the people that made it happen in the 20th century and it's rise and fall. Amazing Amazing documentary I thought.

I thought it was worth mention as it hits home in looking at how the clothing and apparel industry has changed and morphed and the designer industry emerged, and the past, present and future of the industry in terms of domestic vs imported apparel work. Also in how that parallels industry in the U.S. in general.

I was thoroughly engrossed, having little knowledge of the "Schmatta" district and it's significance to U.S. clothing and industry overall.

Anyone else see it?

(Best Michael Myers "Coffee-Talk with Linda Richman" voice)... Discuss... :)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got my first suit for work at a place called Moe Ginsburg Better Men's Clothing in the garment district. They also used to be a factory making unlabeled suits for men. They closed in 2002. The thing I loved about the garment district is I would go early in the morning on a week day and be the first customer.

The competition between stores was fierce and there was this idea that the first sale of the day was good luck. I would be confronted by store employees that would start a downward bid on clothing it was a lot of fun. lol lol lol

The real reason I went were the knishes ....Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Bassman

A-List Customer
I had a summer job there in the '70s. $2.00 whole dollars an hour. I pushed some garment racks around town and backed leather skins with fabric and then cut them to patterns for fur trimmed "disco jackets". Every day in the factory, I had my lunch with the mostly Hispanic workers who listened to the Danny Stiles Nostalgia Show during lunch.

Shel

New in Town
Yes, I stumbled on it the other night myself. I'm from NY and it really hit home for me. I recall vividly how alive and vibrant those streets used to be in the 60's and 70's. It's hard to believe that only 5% of the garments we wear in this country are made here. How did we get ourselves into this mess? That's a rhetorical question because I'm pretty sure that any answer will involve a political discussion!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael