Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

International Intrigue Night on TCM

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just wanted to let you all know that tonight it is International Intrigue Night on Turner Classic Movies.
It starts at 8pm ET with "Casablanca". At 10pm ET "The Correspondent" and then "The Third Man" at 12:15.
What a wonderful evening of movies. So, for those of you who aren't watching the second night of "American Idol", enjoy!:)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Shame they can't ever promote a "night" of less well known movies. I didn't see so much as a :30 teaser ahead of time that they were doing Jean Arthur.

I guess they want the serious nuts to buy the magazine.

Feraud

Bartender
Fletch said:
Shame they can't ever promote a "night" of less well known movies. I didn't see so much as a :30 teaser ahead of time that they were doing Jean Arthur.
Right! I cannot believe they do not advertise an evening of Jean Arthur, Willam Powell, or any of the other actors and directors they feature.
What an odd situation.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I always cry "Marketing to the marketers!" at times like this - ie: the only promotions are BIG promotions for the greatest common factor of the audience (or market). Anything else, especially anything halfway arcane, the marketing people Don't Get It and refuse to take part.

Hondo

One Too Many
Thats "Foreign Correspondent" ;)
I wonder why TCM don't show this in "Closed Caption" [huh]
I've hearing impaired friends, who miss out, it is CC on Amazon.com.
"To have and to have not" I guess :eusa_doh:

Feraud

Bartender
Fletch said:
I always cry "Marketing to the marketers!" at times like this - ie: the only promotions are BIG promotions for the greatest common factor of the audience (or market). Anything else, especially anything halfway arcane, the marketing people Don't Get It and refuse to take part.
It boggles the mind...

What would a minor promotion cost the company? How about a generic commercial with a voiceover to specify the actor?

I would love to work at that place. I would pull in ratings by the boatload. :D

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I would love to work at that place. I would pull in ratings by the boatload. :D
You can send them feedback. I did.

Let's all tell them if they continue to try to "modernize" TCM with hip-hop segways, cheezy 80s movies (AMC's got that covered), and making Robert Osborne "dumb it down" by removing the tie, unbottoning the shirt, and replacing the suit with a sport coat, then we're gonna invite the programming managers to our own private showing of "Das Boot"... :kick:

Feraud

Bartender
Cousin Hepcat said:
You can send them feedback. I did.

Let's all tell them if they continue to try to "modernize" TCM with hip-hop segways, cheezy 80s movies (AMC's got that covered), and making Robert Osborne "dumb it down" by removing the tie, unbottoning the shirt, and replacing the suit with a sport coat, then we're gonna invite the programming managers to our own private showing of "Das Boot"... :kick:
Thanks. I did not realize I could do it and will send them a suggestion to promote their nightly lineup a little better.
I will also add that because Osborne works for a station that features classic film, the least he could do is maintain a classic sense of style. ;)

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
American Intrique

One of my favorite movies is Raymond Chandler's "The Blue Dahlia" (1946) starring Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake.

http://www.eskimo.com/~noir/ftitles/bluedahlia/index.shtml

They just don't write or make movies like this anymore in Hollywood.

32440748_o.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

You are so right about the lack of advertising/marketing on the part of TCM. They don't do it at all. I didn't know about intrigue night until they advertised it five minutes before it began. Kind of annoying, for I would have planned ahead. I do make a habit of going to their website to check out their monthly play list. That's really the only way you can know in advance what movies are playing.
I was pretty surprised that they were playing "The Third Man", for they apparently never play this film. I just watched it the other day for the first time and really liked it a lot. But, I'm gonna have to watch it a few more times to really get the full grasp of it.

I too wish that the channels that play the older movies would play more obscure films. There are so many movies from that era that I have yet to see. But, they seem to stick with the better known actors and titles. There are so many more vintage movies out there worth looking at.

BegintheBeguine

Whenever I am cat-sitting or house-sitting or something, they4a have cable and I turn to TCM. There is usually something worth watching. It is true I don't have cable but I own 100s of movies and have access to 1000s more from the public library, but still, I don't own everything. It used to be AMC, when I lived in an apartment that had cable access. We know where AMC has gone. :( I hope TCM will listen up and straighten up; I wasn't aware of Mr. Osborne's change in sartorial style. Ah, Foreign Correspondent: I first saw it as a child on the big screen at the George Eastman (of Kodak) House's movie theatre.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Thanks. I did not realize I could do it and will send them a suggestion to promote their nightly lineup a little better.
I will also add that because Osborne works for a station that features classic film, the least he could do is maintain a classic sense of style. ;)
They have a message board. I have been on there complaining about the newer movies but most of those idiots on there insist TCM isn't showing more modern movies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot