Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Intimate Predicament

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I thought I'd share my embarassing experience today with you all...
Being the holiday season and wanting to find something special for hubby, I decided to put on my best clothes and head to the local antique mall. I wore a black pleated skirt with a nautical-inspired blouse and my usual "underthings" (stockings, girdle, undies, and slip). Earlier when I had donned my skirt, I was happy to note that it fit a little more loosely around my waist, signifying that my feeble attempts to loose some weight was working.
Joyfully, I walked into the antique mall sporting my vintage-inspired outfit, complete with vintage coat and purse, feeling like I really fit in with all the wonderfully displayed wares. Then I noticed a strange feeling after bending down to peer at some objects near the floor. Initially, I thought my slip was tangled up or something. Then it dawned on me. My panties were falling down! Apparently, my small weight loss also meant that my undies were looser too! (Today, I was wearing them on the outside of the garters--wrong move.) I figured if I could gracefully tug them back up that they would stay in place. But the very next time I bent down to look at something, they started creeping back down again. So I just ignored them. When I realized that they were going to keep their downward trek, I again, attempted to gracefully hike them up without being noticed. (The bathroom was nowhere to be found.) So, all through the building I did a little dance; bend down, stand up, hitch up the undies. I wondered if the shop owners would be suspicious about my strange behavior. Later on, I found a bathroom and promptly put the underwear where they belonged--under the garters, and then they finally stayed put.
When I got home I told my hubby about my "intimate predicament" and he laughed along with me, but just had to add, "Maybe they just thought you had a tick or something." I've not had this problem before, but I've decided that modern underwear does not go well with girdles. I got my Folkwear 1920s-1930s intimacies pattern out again and I'm determined to finally make some tap pants as my New Year's Resolution. I won't be caught in an "intimate predicament" again!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Hahaha. Frahm was really onto something, huh?lol

I've never gotten as authentic as vintage underwear, and this may be part of why.

Viola

r lush

New in Town
That reminds me of the pin up art featuring the same predicament!!!

frahm101.jpg

GOK

One Too Many
Oh my goodness Bonnie, I'd have just died of embarrassment! You poor thing, my heart goes out to you, it really does.

So did you get your hubby a present?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im sure you looked so cool, and were so on it, that many thought: "Man that vintage lady even has vintage moves. Shes oh so cool." ;)

Well, at least you can hope to believe that. lol

LD

BonnieJean

Practically Family
r lush, that picture is so cute. But I don't think I looked that cute.

So did you get your hubby a present?

I found one thing, not a pocket full of treasures that I had hoped for.

Im sure you looked so cool, and were so on it, that many thought: "Man that vintage lady even has vintage moves. Shes oh so cool."

Well, at least you can hope to believe that.

Yeah, I can only hope so, but I think it was more of a classic case of "Pride Comes Before the Fall", literally!

Thanks for all the comments--another "vintage" lesson learned for me!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Tee hee! That is a funny story. Well, I'm glad you knickers didn't go too south.

And good luck with your tap pants mission for the New Year. I'd love to hear how they turn out.

Oh and congrats on the weight loss. I too am trying to lose some weight too.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Hahah, aww! I would've died of embarrassment! I've almost worn regular modern underwear on the outside of my girdle too, but stopped myself before I left the house. It just seemed like a disaster waiting to happen (and I guess it probably was!).

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Typical...

...you can never find a powder room when you need it. Except for this one lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've found tap pants at Target....of course not authentic vintage, but they do the job.
I'm so glad you could laugh about your mall trip!:D

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I used to have a problem with sagging undies and undies that fall down. (Thank god it's never happened while I was wearing a skirt!!) I have to buy a size smaller than what I would consider a normal size for myself. I have no junk in my trunk...

I've recently had some trouble with my garter belt slipping down, but if I hook it on the next tightest hook, then it feels too tight.

Bleh. I'm just a mess. :(

Funny story, but oh how embarasing. :eek:
I feel your pain. :(

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Vintage underwear didn't stay up in the 1940's either. When my mom was a kid her panties ended up in the street by what is now the Santa Monica Third Street Promenade. She just stepped out of them and kept walking, because she was too embarassed.

Bonnie Jean, time to go shopping! Good luck with the new knickers.

Miss_Bri

New in Town
I have a very similar story to Tourbillion's. My great aunt Jean in Michigan tells a story of walking down the street one day during the elastic rationing days, when the elastic on her panties finally gave out and broke. Her panties slid right down her legs and she simply stepped out of them and kept walking, leaving them behind on the sidewalk. I wonder what the next person to come upon them thought!

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss_Bri said:
I have a very similar story to Tourbillion's. My great aunt Jean in Michigan tells a story of walking down the street one day during the elastic rationing days, when the elastic on her panties finally gave out and broke. Her panties slid right down her legs and she simply stepped out of them and kept walking, leaving them behind on the sidewalk. I wonder what the next person to come upon them thought!
That reminds me of a really OLD underclothing mishap I read about, from roughly the 1840s. At that point, underclothes were drawers, effectively separate legs just tied or buttoned together at the waist. A lady was walking down the street and lost one leg of her finest drawers, and just had to walk on and leave it! She was upset because she couldn't use the single leg she had left. And later she saw another woman wearing the expensive lace that had trimmed the leg she left in the street!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Sounds like losing ones knickers happened more often than not in the "Golden Era". Just think of all of the panties covering the streets! Hee hee!

Oh, and for those of you making tap pants, I saw a nice pattern on www.evadress.com.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh gals, I can't help but giggle at the sight of the leggings falling down. I know that would happen to me. I remember my first time putting stockings on, the attachment piece slid off and popped me in the back of the head. LOL!

I once was having lunch in San Diego with some of the Indygear guys. I had on a khaki button up field shirt. As I was gliding food into my mouth one of the buttons popped off onto to the plate. I'm the only girl among about 8-10 guys. The button that came off was dead center in my chest area. I was so embarrassed. I popped up ran to the bathroom, put on my Indy jacket, zipped it up. Afterwards we headed over to a place called Flightsuits to tour the facility. Dave, the manager, got me some thread and a needle so I could sew that sucker back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo