Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction and quick question

colhat

New in Town
Hello All:

Hopefully I am posting in the correct forum. I have searched high and low for a "introduce yourself" thread with no luck. So please mods, if you need to move my thread to proper place, do so.

Safe to say I got the hat bug. Started when I visited a local Goorin Bros shop (where I picked up two flat caps and a straw hat, which has already died). Although I now realize there are other shops "out there" who offer better quality hats, the visit did trigger my recent interest in hats. Is that a good thing or a bad? lol. I have enough habits already.

I have been lurking around for at least a couple of months reading, learning and taking notes. Recently, I purchased a felt fedora. Not sure it fits properly. When rested on my head (long oblong) the bottom of the brim rests about a finger width (index, nail resting on bottom of hat) from the top of my ears, which is a good thing. But after wearing the hat for an extended period of time and taking it off, I have the imprint of the head band on my forehead about an inch (maybe less) from my eyebrows. As I understand it, that is a no-no. So is the hat too big, too small, or is it ok? Is that still too new and needs to be broken in? Not sure if it makes a difference, but fwiw I shave my head, so I am bold.

Looking forward to reading answers and to start making contributions to the forum. Thanks in advance.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First - Hello and welcome to the lounge.
If your hat sits just above the ears, that sounds about right to me.
The mark on your head doesent sound to bad. I get that if my hat is a little tight, or I need a haircut, or it is still breaking in. Do you have gaps at the side of your head? The hat may be stretching to suit your head shape, as long as its not uncomfortable thats what matters. You can help it fit better by getting a hat stretcher to keep it in the shape and size you want.
What hat do you have?
Again welcome to the lounge, hear your hat in good health and I look forward to pictures.
Johnny

Hello All:

...I have the imprint of the head band on my forehead about an inch (maybe less) from my eyebrows. As I understand it, that is a no-no. So is the hat too big, too small, or is it ok?

It depends on what the imprint is, and if you agree with it.

All seriousness aside, it sounds like it's too snug. You should get a measure of your noggin to get a sense of your numerical size. Then despite slight variances from manufacturer to manufacturer, you should be better able to get the right fit. You are fortunate to have a brick and mortar store to go to! Wlecome to the Lounge, and enjoy your "ride."

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
It depends on what the imprint is, and if you agree with it.

All seriousness aside, it sounds like it's too snug. You should get a measure of your noggin to get a sense of your numerical size. Then despite slight variances from manufacturer to manufacturer, you should be better able to get the right fit. You are fortunate to have a brick and mortar store to go to! Wlecome to the Lounge, and enjoy your "ride."

I agree...it can be figured out by hat size measurement.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Could be you're a long oval & the hat is a simple oval. If it's a little snug front & back yet there is space at the sides then that is probably the reason for the mark left on your forehead. It's easy enough to put a long oval in one's self but since you have access to a hat store, they may do it for you.
If on the other had your hat is snug all around, you need a bigger hat.:D

RJR

Could be you're a long oval & the hat is a simple oval. If it's a little snug front & back yet there is space at the sides then that is probably the reason for the mark left on your forehead. It's easy enough to put a long oval in one's self but since you have access to a hat store, they may do it for you.
If on the other had your hat is snug all around, you need a bigger hat.:D
I suspect that you're a long oval.

colhat

New in Town
Thank you all for your responses. Before continuing I should clarify my hat purchase. Even though the flat caps I purchased were from a local retail store, the felt fedora was purchased online from a different vendor. It was a leap of faith on my part.

Let me now describe how the hat fits. If I were to gently place the hat on my noggin, the brim on the front will rest about an inch above my eyebrows and an index finger's width above the top of my ears. In terms of pressure points, they seem to be well distributed among the front, back, and sides of my head. As I wear the hat, the hat seems to slide down (settle in?) a little bit. When I remove my hat, for lack of a better term, it feels like it has snugged (a real word?) down. It feels like a good seal has been formed between the hat and my head and a small vacuum is being released (not sure if that makes sense, but it is difficult to describe). The hat is new and has only been worn a few times. Is it possible it still needs to be broken in? Weather here insists in staying hot. Can't wait for the cool weather.

Thanks in advance.
P.S. Yes, the vendor mentioned to me about being a long oval. :)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for your responses. Before continuing I should clarify my hat purchase. Even though the flat caps I purchased were from a local retail store, the felt fedora was purchased online from a different vendor. It was a leap of faith on my part.

Let me now describe how the hat fits. If I were to gently place the hat on my noggin, the brim on the front will rest about an inch above my eyebrows and an index finger's width above the top of my ears. In terms of pressure points, they seem to be well distributed among the front, back, and sides of my head. As I wear the hat, the hat seems to slide down (settle in?) a little bit. When I remove my hat, for lack of a better term, it feels like it has snugged (a real word?) down. It feels like a good seal has been formed between the hat and my head and a small vacuum is being released (not sure if that makes sense, but it is difficult to describe). The hat is new and has only been worn a few times. Is it possible it still needs to be broken in? Weather here insists in staying hot. Can't wait for the cool weather.

Thanks in advance.
P.S. Yes, the vendor mentioned to me about being a long oval. :)

If the hat drops a little after putting it on, it probably isn't too small for you. :D
If I was in this position I would try 2 things. Firstly I would steam around the front base of the crown & while still hot & damp, put the hat on & press the front of the crown against my forehead until it cools, this way the hat will follow the contours of my forehead & not press into certain areas.
If this didn't work & since the hat drops a little, I would add something behind the sweatband ( folded tissue paper, dollar bill etc.) at the sides to give a little more room at the front & stop it dropping after you put it on where you want it.
How about some info on the hat, type of felt, brand & such......unfortunately, we sometimes come across a hat that we just can't do anything with, they just don't work for us, they're never comfortable & we're obliged to pass them on........can be heartbreaking at times. :D

Once I learned of my own Long Oval status, I have been much happier with my size selections. If possible, make friends with a decent hat shop, they can help with any final fit stretching. I found my own efforts were a little heavy handed, and crude. Newby issues....

Everyone needs a Hatter and a Haberdasher on their speed dial!!

colhat

New in Town
If the hat drops a little after putting it on, it probably isn't too small for you. :D
If I was in this position I would try 2 things. Firstly I would steam around the front base of the crown & while still hot & damp, put the hat on & press the front of the crown against my forehead until it cools, this way the hat will follow the contours of my forehead & not press into certain areas.
If this didn't work & since the hat drops a little, I would add something behind the sweatband ( folded tissue paper, dollar bill etc.) at the sides to give a little more room at the front & stop it dropping after you put it on where you want it.
How about some info on the hat, type of felt, brand & such......unfortunately, we sometimes come across a hat that we just can't do anything with, they just don't work for us, they're never comfortable & we're obliged to pass them on........can be heartbreaking at times. :D

Thanks for your response. Since I am pretty much a noob at hats, the odds of me going and steaming a hat are none to zero. :) I will try to place a spacer of some sort at the sides and see how it works out. I figure risks are small, benefits might be good/great.

The hat I purchased is made of beaver felt by Optimo. The style, I believe, is the International

colhat

New in Town
Once I learned of my own Long Oval status, I have been much happier with my size selections. If possible, make friends with a decent hat shop, they can help with any final fit stretching. I found my own efforts were a little heavy handed, and crude. Newby issues....

Thanks for your reply. Locally, the only hat shop is Goorin Bros. Being a strictly retail shop, it is difficult to find the same salesperson from one week to the next. I have been working over the phone, emails, and video chatting with a shop in Chicago.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Provided you gave correct measurements to Optimo, and they knew you were a long oval, it seems you might just need to get the sweat more conformed to your headshape. Don't bother bringing an Optimo to Goorin. That'd be like taking your Rolls Royce to Maaco.

You really can hit it with some steam, or wear it in a light drizzle, mist it with distilled water. You might also consider very gently dampening the inside of the sweat before you wear it.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Congratulations Colhat on getting such a fine hat....looks like you hit the ground running...}8^))
You have been getting good advice....if it slips down after putting it on then I think it's safe to think that it's not too small....I think trying the spacer sounds interesting...So let us know how that works....

I think getting a hat stretcher is a good idea....Even if you don't want to stretch it..they are great to keep your hat from shrinking when it gets wet....and they are also cool for getting that long oval shape in there too, if that turns out to be a consideration...

Love to see some head shots....I've seen the Optimo International and they are a beauty...would love to see yours....

Ohh, and when you say, someone at Optimo's mentioned "long oval"...what did they say?

colhat

New in Town
Provided you gave correct measurements to Optimo, and they knew you were a long oval, it seems you might just need to get the sweat more conformed to your headshape. Don't bother bringing an Optimo to Goorin. That'd be like taking your Rolls Royce to Maaco.

You really can hit it with some steam, or wear it in a light drizzle, mist it with distilled water. You might also consider very gently dampening the inside of the sweat before you wear it.

Thanks for your reply. You might be right about the hat having to conform to my head shape. Still waiting for the weather here to cool off (I was advised not to wear a felt hat in the heat of Summer). As a result, the hat has not been worn much (Maybe for 15min to 30min at a time).

I have placed a little bit of a spacer on the sides of the hat. It seems to have worked. As a result the hat seems to sit a smidgen higher but it is not sliding down.

colhat

New in Town
Congratulations Colhat on getting such a fine hat....looks like you hit the ground running...}8^))
You have been getting good advice....if it slips down after putting it on then I think it's safe to think that it's not too small....I think trying the spacer sounds interesting...So let us know how that works....

I think getting a hat stretcher is a good idea....Even if you don't want to stretch it..they are great to keep your hat from shrinking when it gets wet....and they are also cool for getting that long oval shape in there too, if that turns out to be a consideration...

Love to see some head shots....I've seen the Optimo International and they are a beauty...would love to see yours....

Ohh, and when you say, someone at Optimo's mentioned "long oval"...what did they say?

Thanks. One correction, I mentioned I had the International. After double checking, it was the Chicago.

Where does one obtain a hat stretcher?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for your reply. You might be right about the hat having to conform to my head shape. Still waiting for the weather here to cool off (I was advised not to wear a felt hat in the heat of Summer). As a result, the hat has not been worn much (Maybe for 15min to 30min at a time).

I have placed a little bit of a spacer on the sides of the hat. It seems to have worked. As a result the hat seems to sit a smidgen higher but it is not sliding down.

While Optimo's are a significant investment in hats, they are well made, and they don't need to be "babied." It's less comfortable to wear a felt hat in the heat, because, well, it's hot. But it won't harm your hat in any way.

There are a few different variations of hat stretchers or "hat jacks" out there. If you google it, I'm sure you can find one, but here's an amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hat+stretcher

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Amen to THAT! Great advice!

GHT

I'll Lock Up

I don't, not with a talented wife and a Belgian Hat Fairy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace