Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Invisalign!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
KittyT said:
I couldn't take the drugs they gave me. They made me horribly nauseous. My swelling went down after 2 days.
I had the same experience, but it took about a week to recover. I had all four out at the same time and mine were fully/partially impacted. If you end up taking Vicodin make sure you eat enough with it.

Idledame

Practically Family
Pigeon toe, parents always love to hear that they were right. Be contrite and admit you were a rotten kid to not wear your retainers when they put thousands of dollars into your teeth and you didn't even appreciate it! But tell them that you are so much more mature and responsible now, and you appreciate the value of a buck...and you would do everything the Orthodontist said this time (but only say it if it's true!!!). Then ask if they would consider maybe paying for half. And if they do yell at you, don't yell back, just admit they are totally justified and you deserve it.

I look forward to the day that my daughter will say those words to me! I finally just had her braces yanked off (I wanted to do it myself--with pliers!!) because she would not wear retainers or the little rubber bands and was actually damaging the roots of her teeth. Very maddening when you spend thousands which could have gone to vacations or things other family members needed or wanted. Good luck!

TackyAnnie

New in Town
Love Invisalign!

I never had braces before invisalign. I got them at age 21, wore them for a year, and it worked like a charm. I have a permanent retainer on my front teeth, both top and bottom, and I wear a top retainer at night. You've got to stick with it, but it works!

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I need braces. I had them for almost 2 years. The retainer I got was just a plastic mould of my teeth and I had to wear it at night. But when I woke up each morning it was almost always out of my mouth. So my teeth started to move because it kept coming out.

Do you think that because I've had braces before that if I got them again my teeth would move quicker?

and what are the permanant retainers like?

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
i_am_the_scruff said:
I need braces. I had them for almost 2 years. The retainer I got was just a plastic mould of my teeth and I had to wear it at night. But when I woke up each morning it was almost always out of my mouth. So my teeth started to move because it kept coming out.

Do you think that because I've had braces before that if I got them again my teeth would move quicker?

and what are the permanant retainers like?
It depends on how much they've shifted.

Well, I survived my wisdom teeth extractions yesterday, They did have to give me oxygen after the needles because I was starting to hyperventilate. That was the worst part of it.
I go for my braces consultation Tuesday but I just found out that most insurance companies including mine (Blue Cross Blue Shield) will not pay anything toward ortho after the age of 18! How lousy is that??!!!:rage:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tips for wisdom teeth recovery...

DO take all your antibiotics! I got an infection in my holes, nothing quite like that pain. I have had a ot of pain in my life, but the teeth was the worst.

DO irrigate with saltwater, it makes it heal a lot faster.

Do take homeopathic arnica! Start taking it the day before the surgery and continue until the swelling is gone. I did this and the dentist could not believe how fast my swelling went down. Even with that infection, I was back to normal in a week. Arnica is good for any soft tissue trauma, and you can take it internally or use an ointment for sore muscles, bashing of fingers, etc. Arnica is my friend!

I think I will do the Invisalign once I can afford it, my teeth are not terribly crooked, but where they are, they irritate my tongue a lot and it is annoying and painful. If all goes well, I will have a new job with benefits (first time in 5 years will have had coverage!), in a week or so...then I can do it!

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
DO take all your antibiotics! I got an infection in my holes, nothing quite like that pain. I have had a ot of pain in my life, but the teeth was the worst.

DO irrigate with saltwater, it makes it heal a lot faster.

Do take homeopathic arnica! Start taking it the day before the surgery and continue until the swelling is gone. I did this and the dentist could not believe how fast my swelling went down. Even with that infection, I was back to normal in a week. Arnica is good for any soft tissue trauma, and you can take it internally or use an ointment for sore muscles, bashing of fingers, etc. Arnica is my friend!

I think I will do the Invisalign once I can afford it, my teeth are not terribly crooked, but where they are, they irritate my tongue a lot and it is annoying and painful. If all goes well, I will have a new job with benefits (first time in 5 years will have had coverage!), in a week or so...then I can do it!
No offense but I gotta speak up here........
You don't need all that.
Infection after wisdom tooth removal is not that common.I mean yeah it happens but not as much as you think and very very rarely where I work because the Air Force has different standards than private practice.
Most of the time the only complaint is soreness and swelling. Use your ice as directed and anti-inflmanitories and you won't have that.
And if you automatically give someone antibiotics then you could be creating a bacteria that is antibiotic resistant.
FOLLOW POST-OP INTRUCTIONS TO A TEE!
There is no reason why you shouldn't pretty much be back to normal after a week.
Most of the time (I'd say 90% or better) when people show up with dry socket,it happens in the lower jaw and it happens because they did not follow my instructions. They smoked, they drank from a bottle,straw,something hot, or spit,etc.
You should NEVER irrigate untill you have had your post-op exam or unless the doctor tells you to. This can disrupt the blood clot in the socket that acts as a natural band-aid and make matters worse. It can cause dry socket much like the smoking,straw,spitting etc.
I'm sure Cherry's OMFS told her to rinse with warm salt water but not all reccomend irrigation. It depends on whether or not the theirds are impacted or not.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
CherryRed said:
Thanks ladies. I am doing pretty well, just a little sore. I have no swelling. The nurse said I shouldn't have any problems. I am doing the salt water every few hrs and I followed all the DO NOT's for the first 24hrs.
Good girl!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace