Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irvin/B3/A2 inspirations... Burberry aviator jackets

mimaximax

New in Town
Why don't we face it.
These nice, young guys are just in the wrong forum.
Nothing wrong with their choice of jackets or what they want to spend on something, which just isn't what it tries to be.
We are just too old fashioned to see it.
We believe in history, design, stitch by stitch accuracy. We faint at the sight of plastic or words like "artificial leather".
We would rather spend hours and weeks searching the internet or flea markets for that one, special, authentic zipper, than go into a high end fashion store and dump some cash.
We just don't get it!
We can tell them again and again about real Irvins and real A2's - but they don't care.
They want fashion and the security that comes with wearing a brand. Our brands are different. They are out of style to them.
Names like Irvin, Links, Wareings, IAC or Dots doesn't mean a thing.
We are out of date. They are hot. We are not.
Best of luck guys! Enjoy your jackets. :)

Cheers!

Yes, I personally find the jacket to look very cool, but I never thought you guys were out of date ! I was aware where I was posting and enjoyed the opinions all of you shared which helped me in some ways. I highly respect your values of history, authenticity and accuracy and by no means I wanted this jacket to replace any existing one. As I wanted to be sure the jacket will last, I was mostly hoping for comparison and advice regarding technics, materials, stitching, construction, thickness, etc.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
I KNOW I'm out of date.........but maybe I didn't learn too much along the way.

We got unemployed 21 year olds gonna buy current fashion statement $2,000 jackets. I ain't smart enough to figure that one out! How does one do that?

Regards,
coffee

Yeah. I'm not unemployed, but very far from spending $2,000 on a piece of attire. :p

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Why don't we face it.
These nice, young guys are just in the wrong forum.
Nothing wrong with their choice of jackets or what they want to spend on something, which just isn't what it tries to be.
We are just too old fashioned to see it.
We believe in history, design, stitch by stitch accuracy. We faint at the sight of plastic or words like "artificial leather".
We would rather spend hours and weeks searching the internet or flea markets for that one, special, authentic zipper, than go into a high end fashion store and dump some cash.
We just don't get it!
We can tell them again and again about real Irvins and real A2's - but they don't care.
They want fashion and the security that comes with wearing a brand. Our brands are different. They are out of style to them.
Names like Irvin, Links, Wareings, IAC or Dots doesn't mean a thing.
We are out of date. They are hot. We are not.
Best of luck guys! Enjoy your jackets. :)

Cheers!

Spitfire, I couldn't agree more, but i think it's a state of mind, rather than an age thing. I am 26, love clothing, fasion, and the history behind it, and will never pay premium, (or at least very rarely) when you can, with a little effort find it some where else for half price.

The thrill of the hunt is the best thing, as you said, finding that elusive original zipper, or one-of-a-kind vintage piece that you know yourself, and a few other will appriciate.

It's not a big club, and it's not eletest, (ie some Moderists) but it cares about detail, and the important thing is the item, not the person in it. High end fasion is mainly about the self, 'Look at me in THIS! it cost the price of a small family car' that is eletest, and generally brash, flash and ugly.

The coat in descussion screams for attention, like a petulant child (sorry alcoholicartist) but the Irvin, A-2's G-1 etc will alway be drawn on for inspiration because of the real 'drama' behind them, a war, or history shown in the design or wear of the material.

Plus anything classic, like the Harrington is something which will never be out of style.

God is in the detail, not on the price tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy