Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irvin Contract Stores numbers

rick howarth

New in Town
Does the contract stores number on an Irvin Label give any clue to the manufacturer. Mine is 1943 with a contract number 4314/C.37.B. Would appreciate any help in identifying the maker. Thanks

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes the contract number and later the Stores number does link to a manufacturer. I do not know who made this CC jacket though, however photos might give me a clue.

rick howarth

New in Town
Thankyou Andrew, I haven't yet tried to load photos but I will try. May I also ask has anyone ever identified what kind of paint it was on the yellow hood. I see that leather paints as opposed to dyes are available and I wouldn't want to overpaint the whole thing but am tempted to do a little careful touch up where that paint has entirely gone. Any views or advice ?
Finally does anyone have any views on restitching. I have noticed at least one seller who uses a machine rather than by hand but surely that is going to seriously weaken the leather.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The re-stitching on Irvins should ideally be done by hand using 1940s thread and the original stitch holes should be adhered to.

rick howarth

New in Town
Yet again Andrew thankyou for that advice. The nearest I have been able to get to the original is a linen thread which I purchased on the assumption it was near enough correct.
I had assumed the Coastal Command Irvin was a rare beast but have seen quite a few for sale recently. Like for like they don't seem to achieve the prices of standard Irvins.

There is (or was) a seller on eBay selling original spools of the correct russet linen thread. The manufacturer was Barbour in NI. I bought a bunch a while ago, and it's just the right shade (compared to existing original stitching) for the inevitable and constant seam mending of an "in use" original Irvin.

You'll need to use a basic back stitch for attaching seam bindings, and a slightly more complex stitch to attach panels to each other, but nothing too tricky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner