Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irwin wearers - how do you...

greeny

Familiar Face
..compensate for not having pockets?

If I'm out and about I usually have a few things to carry- wallet, phone, keys, a book perhaps. If I wear an Indy style jacket I can fit all this into my pockets. With my new Irvin of course I don't have any pockets. Over the weekend I wore it and took along an old MKVII bag. Not ideal though - over one shoulder it has a bit of a handbag look, worn across the chest it's not so easy get off again with the huge Irvin collar. Although at least it's in keeping with the look to a certain degree.
So I'm just interested to know what you fellow Irvin wearers do. Take a bag? What kind? Stuff everything in your trouser pockets?

Edward

Bartender
Not an Irvin owner, but I virtually lived in my LW B3 last Winter. The B3 does have the bonus of the front pocket for gloves, which I found very convenient. I didn't at any stage feel the need of a sweater under the B3, so I took to wearing a waistcoat over my shirt underneath - vintage style, with four pockets, giving planety of places to stow my pens, mobile phone, travel card, etc.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Step 1: Cut down on "important things to have in my pockets"
Step 2: Use the pockets in the trousers/shirt for the rest: Wallet, glasses, cellphone and keys.
Step 3: Get a nice bag, if you have to carry more than that. (books, newspaper, maps, pen, camera...)
Step 4: If a bag is not an option: Buy a flyingsuite to wear under the Irvin. Plenty of pockets there.;)

Cap'n Spaulding

New in Town
I've wondered about this too, since I have an Irvin coming from Aero.

I figure I really only need my wallet, cell phone and keys on most occasions. They will all fit in my trousers/jeans so I think I'll be in good shape. I have a canvas vintage paratrooper bag I'll probably use if/when I need to carry any larger items, and sling it messenger bag style.

The only thing I haven't figured out is what to do with gloves.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've never, ever missed pockets with my Irvin and I lived in mine constantly the last time I lived in Norway. Saying that I'm not one of those blokes that carries round a whole lot of nonsense and bumf anyway, I only ever have my wallet, keys and cellphone and all that hoofluff lives in my trousers anyway.

Pockets were why trousers were invented!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Amen to that, Smithy!

In any case, I always feel that wearing an Irvin jacket without the matching trousers is being half dressed!

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I find I have enough pockets in a pair a jeans for what I need.

If I go to work in my Irvin I wear cargo trousers but even then I don’t always use all the pockets.

James.

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
I just wear Irvin trousers with my jacket as the trousers have two large pockets, one above each knee. Damned clever design the Irvin Suit, it's almost as if they thought it all through. However if you're going to the shops you might need a big bottle of water in case you start to dehydrate with all your flying clobber on. :p

rikbb

Familiar Face
no pockets

mobile phone in right front pocket of jeans, creditcard box in left front pocket of jeans, keys in left back pocket of jeans, coins in little change pocket of jeans and still one pocket (front right side) free for whatever…

Edward

Bartender
Cap'n Spaulding said:
The only thing I haven't figured out is what to do with gloves.

You might need somewhere to stick them when you're inside, yeah.... course, if you're outside and it's cold enough to be Irvin weather, they'll be nowhere else than on your hands!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot