Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Calzones in San Fran still there?

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
It used to be on Market Street, a visit to the Bay area was never complete without a visit there. Some of the best Italian Ive had. I took many friends there and never had a complaint. :cheers1:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Art might know, I never heard of it

I know you pm'ed me about this store, but I have never, ever heard of it. Before the "internet" , I searched every phone book and library source on finding a hat store. I found one in Oakland, San Leandro, Pauls' in SF, and one in Berkeley. Then came the internet. I thought Millerhats.com was the best. Oh, then I found Biltmore hats....wow. Now, I am spoiled. But back to your question, I don't know. I will do some homework.

So far only this eatery.

Calzone's | North Beach | Italian

New European bistro specialties include Italian potstickers, sundried cranberry apple salad, aspargus chicken pasta and a flavorful lamb loin. The eye-popping calzones and pizzas on light, thin crust baked in brick ovens are not to be missed. Big windows for people watching and outdoor tables for soaking in the flavor of North Beach. Daily 11-2 am. $$. AE, DC, JCB, MC, V.

add to my saved trip | map
Address: 430 Columbus Avenue
City: San Francisco,94133
Phone: 415-397-3600
Fax: 415-397-3446
Email: info@calzonesf.com

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is the list, I think

This is the entire list of hat shops in SF Bay area.....

Contra Costa County Hat Shops

Ava's Garden
967 Richard Ln, Danville, CA 94526. Tel. 925.820.4962.

Sara Lorraine Adams Millinery
124 Alameda St., Vallejo, 707.644-2746. Custom hats by appointment.

East Bay Hat Shops

Berkeley Hat Company
2510 Telegraph Ave., Berkeley, 510.549-2955. Big selection of modern women's hats and lots of men's hats (including top hats).

Chandra Cho, Fine Millinery
1508 A Walnut Square, Berkeley, 510.644-4499. Gorgeous hats. Lots of choices for the teens, twenties and thirties.

Ebony Beauty Supplies
8302 14th St., Oakland, 510.562-5529. Carries human hair strands for making your own wigs and un-sewn hanks for hair weaving. Also has sausage curls for 'southern belles.' Great prices.

The Hat Generation
431 Water Street, Oakland, CA 94607, 510-451-2247. Good selection of men's hats (some very nice fedoras and British cloth hats), lots of women's hats for the Deco era.

The Hat Guys
1764 Broadway, Oakland, 510.834-6868. Lots of hats, floor to ceiling, and a small selection of feathers. Hours: Mon-Fri 9:30-5:30, Sat 10-5:30.

Top Hatters
855 MacArthur Blvd. (off Foothill Blvd.), San Leandro. Tel. 510.632.5320

Marin Hat Shops

Hats and Images
450 First St. East #F, Sonoma, Tel. 707.938.HATS

The Hat Generation
84 Main Street, Tiburon, CA 94920, Tel. 415.435.6380. Good selection of men's hats (some very nice fedoras and British cloth hats), lots of women's hats for the Deco era.

Peninsula Hat Shops

Fino Fino
75 Arbor Road, Menlo Park, Tel. 650.321.8720. Stylish straw hats.

San Francisco Hat Shops

Adornme
Crocker Galleria, 50 Post Street, San Francisco, 415.397.4231. Beautiful hats; many in the styles of the 1920s.

Alternative Design Studio
3458 18th Street, San Francisco, 415.255.2787. Owner Elina Davenport dreamed up many of the 1000 hats on sale. Others are commissioned from Bay Area milliners.

Frank's Fisherman
366 Jefferson St., San Francisco, 415.75.1165. Captain's hats, Greek fisherman's caps, 19th c. seaman's hats, and (drum roll, please!) Viking helmets ... with Horns!

The Hat Generation
900 Northpoint (Ghirardelli Square), San Francisco, CA 94109, 415.749.1734. Good selection of men's hats (some very nice fedoras and British cloth hats), lots of women's hats for the Deco era.

Hats on Post
210 Post St., Ste. 201, San Francisco, 415.392.3737. Hours: Mon-Sat 12-5.
Inspecteur des Chapeaux
415.387.4103. Inspector, collector, and connoisseur of fine men's hats. By appointment.

Lily Fighera Hats
568 Arguello Blvd., San Francisco. 415.752.5957. By appointment. Lily's hats are also available at two shops in San Francisco: Backseat Betty (1584 Haight Street. 415.431.8393) and Fetish Footwear (Presidio and Sacramento).

Pan's House of Horns
415.292.5649. Individually hand-crafted. The horns are also available at Dark Garden (321 Linden Street, San Francisco, 415.431.7684).

Paul's Hatworks
6128 Geary Blvd., San Francisco, 415.221.5332. Impeccable vintage men's hats. Paul also makes fine Panama and fur felt hats.

Thorne Hat Shop
1552 Ocean Ave., San Francisco, 415.586.8535. Nice general selection.

Santa Cruz Hat Shops

The Hat Company
1346 Pacific Ave., Santa Cruz, CA. Men's and women's hats, 1920s and 1930s. Men's top hats and boaters. Witch and wizard hats.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OH God forbid, I left out that rude, crude woman who grabbed my Optimo hat with her greasy salted pork rind eating fingers and squished my crown, saying "gimme", humph!, and "If you ain't gonna buy anything, get out".

No kidding. Willie Brown's favorite hatter, the "famous" Mrs. Ruth Dewson.
It was a hole in the wall crap shop. IMHO

Mrs. Dewson's Hats
2050 Fillmore St
San Francisco, CA 94115-2709 View Map
(415) 346-1600

Business Info
Mon-Sat 11am-6pm
Sun 12pm-4pm

Both women and men---even Mayor Willie Brown---top their noggins with the formal hats from this classic shop.

Mrs. Dewson will greet you warmly, perhaps with an endearing "honey," and you should respectfully obey her signs to request help before trying anything on. She's bedecked the crowns of many a star, with the photo album to prove it, and will proudly show it off if you ask.

The Goods
Women and men desiring an elegant touch to a dressy outfit or a hipster addition to a shabby chic one may find the answer here. Wide-brimmed straw hats by Annabel Ingall or more flamboyant ones with gigantic embellishments could beg for attention at both church and the Kentucky Derby. For an edgier look, try newsboy caps, furry Kangol visors, or timeless classics, such as feather-topped Stetsons, felt porkpies, driving caps or berets. With Mrs. Dewson's patented, felt snap-brim fedora, named the "Willie Brim," you can even emulate the Mayor.

Hat Box
If you buy a first-class hat for more than $150, it will come in Mrs. Dewson's signature red hatbox.

Parking
It can be difficult, especially on weekends, so if you don't want to drive around forever, pay to park at the garage on Clay between Fillmore and Webster.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Looks like Calzones is gone.

Calzones was a Italian Restaurant on market St. It was a small place, all the cooking was done in a huge brick oven. The wait for a table was normally around 30 to 45 min. During that time you could have a drink at the bar or carry it outside and people watch. It was entertaining and once inside the meal was served quickly. I once took a friend there and he complained all the way there after I told him about the wait. As soon as his meal was served and he had his first bite, he was all smiles. In fact he wanted to go back the next night, but there is more than one restaurant in San Fran.

I did do a search for the Penny Farthing in Salinas. If ever there, I would recomend it. It is British owned and operated. Beef and Kidney pie, Sheppards pie, fish and chips are but a few items on the menu. A game or two of darts a beer or two from one of the local micro brewers and a pleasant evening can be had. They also offer a selection of Irish and English beers.:cheers1:

stinker

New in Town
WOW! Thanks, Andy!

You gave me plenty to do next time I'm in San Francisco! I have been to about half of the shops you mention... and now, on to the rest of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff