Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is chivalry dead?

rue

Gentlemen, whether or not chivalry is dead in a broad sense in today's society, I ask you this: do you really care?

We here on the Fedora Lounge are more than happy rejecting our society's careless and lazy attitude toward dress and chosing instead to dress in a more refined, some might say civilized fashion, so why should we care of society or feminists or anyone else rejects our ideas about chivalrous conduct? Chivalrous conduct is the mark of the gentleman; it need not be encumbered with anachronistic ideas about the inferiority of women in order to be relevant or praiseworthy. I consider women to be the equal of men in human dignity and worth, in intelligence, and so on, but why should I not treat women with care, consideration, reverence and respect? Is there any objection to such things?

If you aspire to be a gentleman, then by all means act like one and treat women in a gentlemanly fashion. If they cop attitude about it, it's really a reflection on them and not you, and you can further demonstrate that you are a gentleman by receiving their vitriol with grace and poise. In the end, you look like a swell guy and they look like feculent swine (got that from the slang thread!)

What do I think? Dress like a gentleman, act like a gentleman, BE a gentleman, for such a thing is worthy of praise whether our crude modern society thinks so or not.

Well said! :D

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen, whether or not chivalry is dead in a broad sense in today's society, I ask you this: do you really care?

We here on the Fedora Lounge are more than happy rejecting our society's careless and lazy attitude toward dress and chosing instead to dress in a more refined, some might say civilized fashion, so why should we care of society or feminists or anyone else rejects our ideas about chivalrous conduct? Chivalrous conduct is the mark of the gentleman; it need not be encumbered with anachronistic ideas about the inferiority of women in order to be relevant or praiseworthy. I consider women to be the equal of men in human dignity and worth, in intelligence, and so on, but why should I not treat women with care, consideration, reverence and respect? Is there any objection to such things?

If you aspire to be a gentleman, then by all means act like one and treat women in a gentlemanly fashion. If they cop attitude about it, it's really a reflection on them and not you, and you can further demonstrate that you are a gentleman by receiving their vitriol with grace and poise. In the end, you look like a swell guy and they look like feculent swine (got that from the slang thread!)

What do I think? Dress like a gentleman, act like a gentleman, BE a gentleman, for such a thing is worthy of praise whether our crude modern society thinks so or not.

Bravo! :eusa_clap

Flicka

One Too Many
A while back all chairs were taken up by guys in the coffee lounge at work. My super-pregnant colleague walked in and had to stand. Their boss passed by and stopped to stare. "Really, guys. Get up for the pregnant lady!" she said. They laughed and took it as a joke. None of them moved a muscle.

I wouldn't even call it chivalry. It's common decency and consideration, and that's certainly dead.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
A while back all chairs were taken up by guys in the coffee lounge at work. My super-pregnant colleague walked in and had to stand. Their boss passed by and stopped to stare. "Really, guys. Get up for the pregnant lady!" she said. They laughed and took it as a joke. None of them moved a muscle.

I wouldn't even call it chivalry. It's common decency and consideration, and that's certainly dead.

Ugh, disgraceful! If it had been my co-workers, my response to their indifference would have been something along the lines of, "No seriously, get off your asses and give her a chair you insufferable boorish oafs!"

I don't think such a thing would happen where I work, for the most part, but it's hard to say. We always seem to have a ton of available chairs anyways, and most of the REALLY pregnant ladies are off on maternity leave anyways.

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
Without thinking I once opened a door for a very heavily muscled lady bodybuilder young enough to be my daughter. Then it flashed across my mind "uh-oh, what have I done?" She smiled warmly and thanked me sincerely. Nice young woman, and a good experience for both of us.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
No, thank goodness. I adore manners. When passing in the street some men will sometimes say hi to me and walk on, my favorite. And letting me walk in the door first, too. Are just some of the few nice and wonderful things men do in public.
Plus from what I've learned. Its also begains with ourselves. We teach people how we want to be treated.

silverladybug

New in Town
Ugh, disgraceful! If it had been my co-workers, my response to their indifference would have been something along the lines of, "No seriously, get off your asses and give her a chair you insufferable boorish oafs!"

I don't think such a thing would happen where I work, for the most part, but it's hard to say. We always seem to have a ton of available chairs anyways, and most of the REALLY pregnant ladies are off on maternity leave anyways.

I agree. What a disgrace. I don't care if you are male, or female. If you are a healthy, capable individual, you give up your seat up. I really hope manners aren't dying, but parents have become lax with their children and then these children grow into adults who do not understand what common courtesy is. It's really sad

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars

A true gentleman, God bless you, sir!

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
We frequently talk about Fedoras, jackets and hem lines. But what really draws us here is, a desire to separate ourselves from the masses by the way we dress.
Our attention to the way we look also says what our values are.
In all due respect, drawing a wide swath on people in the States, most are about whats new and most expedient.
In so many words being a individual. Yet having no regard, to how your dress impacts or shows respect for other people or the event.

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
On twitter this morning:
(RoyalReporter is covering the British royals at Ascot today)
"@RoyalReporter: Dress code assistants in purple uniforms have been 'helping' women and men conform to the new strict rules, handing out hats and pashminas."

Seriously, no one knows how to dress appropriately anymore and that's makes me so sad.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
On twitter this morning:
"@RoyalReporter: Dress code assistants in purple uniforms have been 'helping' women and men conform to the new strict rules, handing out hats and pashminas."

Seriously, no one knows how to dress appropriately anymore and that's makes me so sad.
It is not as if it is not plainly spelled out.

Royal Enclosure Dress Code

Please note the dress code below is NEW for 2012.
A Royal Enclosure Style Guide has been produced for the first time this year and helps to bring to life some examples of the kind of outfits that are expected at Royal Ascot. Click Here to view.
Ladies
Ladies are kindly reminded that formal day wear is a requirement in the Royal Enclosure, defined as follows:

• Dresses and skirts should be of modest length defined as falling just above the knee or longer
  • Dresses and tops should have straps of one inch or greater
  • Jackets and pashminas may be worn but dresses and tops underneath should still comply with the Royal Enclosure dress code
  • Trouser suits are welcome. They should be of full length and of matching material and colour
  • Hats should be worn; a headpiece which has a base of 4 inches (10cm) or more in diameter is acceptable as an alternative to a hat.
Ladies are kindly asked to note the following:

• Strapless, off the shoulder, halter neck, spaghetti straps and dresses with a strap of less than one inch (2.5cm) are not permitted
  • Midriffs must be covered
  • Fascinators are no longer permitted in the Royal Enclosure; neither are headpieces which do not have a base covering a sufficient area of the head (4 inches / 10cm).
Gentlemen
Gentlemen are kindly reminded that it is a requirement to wear either black or grey morning dress which must include:

• A waistcoat and tie (no cravats)
  • A black or grey top hat
  • Black shoes.
A gentleman may remove his top hat within a restaurant, a private box, a private club or that facility’s terrace, balcony or garden. Hats may also be removed within any enclosed external seating area within the Royal Enclosure Garden.
The customisation of top hats (with, for example, coloured ribbons or bands) is not permitted in the Royal Enclosure.
Children (admitted on Friday and Saturday only)
Girls (aged 10-16) should be dressed for a formal occasion. Smart summer dresses are suggested. Hats, headpieces or a fascinator may be worn but are not compulsory.
Boys (aged 10-16) should either dress in accordance with the gentlemen’s dress code (as set out above); or alternatively may wear a dark-coloured lounge suit with a shirt and tie (whereupon no hat is required).
Overseas Visitors
Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal National Dress of their country or Service Dress.
Serving Military Personnel
Serving military personnel are welcome to wear Service Dress or equivalent.
Grandstand Admission Dress Code
Please note the dress code below is NEW for 2012.

A Grandstand Admission Style Guide has been produced for the first time this year and helps to bring to life some examples of the kind of outfits that are expected at Royal Ascot. Click Here to view.
Ladies
Ladies within the main Grandstand enclosure are encouraged to dress in a manner as befits a formal occasion.
Ladies are kindly asked to take particular note of the following:

• A hat, headpiece or fascinator should be worn at all times
  • Strapless or sheer strap dresses and tops are not permitted
  • Trousers must be full length and worn with a top that adheres to the guidelines above (i.e. strapless or sheer strap tops are not permitted)
  • Jackets and pashminas may be worn but dresses and tops underneath should still comply with the Grandstand Admission dress code
  • Midriffs must be covered
  • Shorts are not permitted.
Gentlemen
Gentlemen are required to wear a suit with a shirt and tie.
Children
Girls (17 or under) should be dressed for a formal occasion. Smart summer dresses are suggested. Hats, headpieces or a fascinator may be worn but are not compulsory.
Boys aged (13-17) should wear a suit or jacket with a shirt and a tie. Younger boys (12 or under) should be dressed smartly but are not required to wear a jacket or tie.

Silver Ring Dress Code

Whilst we encourage racegoers to wear smart clothes no formal dress code applies except that bare chests are not permitted at any time.

Edward

Bartender
On twitter this morning:

Meh... While I agree with the general point, I don't really see this as much of an example. Royal Ascot is so far removed from Real Life...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Time: Yesterday morning. The Place: The Number 2 train, rolling south through the South Bronx. What happened: A young man from the nabe got up and gave his seat to a very elderly lady.
Conclusion: Chivalry is not dead, at least not in the South Bronx.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Time: Yesterday morning. The Place: The Number 2 train, rolling south through the South Bronx. What happened: A young man from the nabe got up and gave his seat to a very elderly lady.
Conclusion: Chivalry is not dead, at least not in the South Bronx.

:eusa_clap

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Several times over the last few weeks when I've been on our tram line with my daughter in her pram young men have offered me their seat (or offered to help me take them pram down some stairs) - chivalry is also not dead here in Dublin I am glad to report!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo