Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to wear a brown Fed 4 without looking Indy?

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I've never had my taupe Alessandria cause an "Indy" reference but someone the other day did look it over and say "Howdy, cowboy" which I thought was odd. Not very Western looking to me.

I don't think people in my usual circles are tuned in at all to Raiders as a cultural touchstone. Must be an age-cohort thing.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
well

I do not own a fed iv, nor have i seen one in person. BUT, judging from the photos of the federation iv's on this site you can get away with it.

just bash the hat differently. and if you want the same bash, then just leave your khakis, leather jacket, pistol and bullwhip at home. lol

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Any brimmed hat will get a stupid comment if you come across sufficiently half-witted people. Some people are just dumb and say ridiculous things, some will even get abusive. I don't care anymore what people say or think of me. I realise that some people (even those I talk to on a daily basis) think I'm strange.

As far as the Fed goes, I think it will not look like an Indy hat if not worn with a leather jacket. Most people won't call you Indy because of the crease, but because of the things you combine the hat with (such as khakis, leather jacket and whip). IMO anyone clever enough to recognise an Indy crease will probably be intelligent enough not to call you Indy just because of a hat.

So to summarise my somewhat long-winded post, you can wear a Federation IV without it being an Indy hat. Just don't think of it as an Indy hat and it won't be one.

kw

New in Town
Looking Indy?

A lot of good posts. It is however, how you feel about wearing a brown fedora that is important. Yes, a lot of people associate what you wear with movies or tv shows they have seen. Is this bad? Although sometimes annoying, I think not. It gives awareness to the style we promote.
While sporting a beard and wearing my bowler, my brother would tell me I looked like Mr. French (a man-servant), from an old tv sitcom. I always considered Mr. French a very well dressed Gentleman.:D

Duper

Practically Family
Classified00, I have the tawny fawn. If you enjoy it half as much as I do you will be truely pleased. It just gets better each time I put it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael