Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Josh Bernstein the New Indiana Jones ???

MaximOfSurrey

Familiar Face
Feraud said:
Why do you think that?
Isn't he is the archaeologist who does not want to be thought of as an Indiana Jones type?

Yeah, he is. In the advertisements and previews for his show that I've seen they've tried to "Jones it up" so to speak.

Also, I'm so sorry for that horrible, horrible pun.

Feraud

Bartender
MaximOfSurrey said:
Yeah, he is. In the advertisements and previews for his show that I've seen they've tried to "Jones it up" so to speak.
I have seen those ads. It is ironic to not want to not be called Indy Jones with those ads floating around..:eusa_doh:
No apology needed for the pun. :)

akaBruno

Suspended
I'm not saying that he wants to be Indiana Jones. But... he is becoming quite a pop figure, in his own right. And he's doing it in a hat.

There have been posts around here, wondering about his hat.

BRUNO

RBH

Bartender
I think I get what you are saying Bruno, whereas Indy kinda made it 'cool' to wear a hat back in the 80's, Josh is on the road to do the same thing now.
And to answer your question, I do think he will have an effect on the hat wearing public, including the younger crowd.

S

Samsa

That's kind of like asking, "Is Springsteen the new Bob Dylan?"

akaBruno

Suspended
Samsa said:
That's kind of like asking, "Is Springsteen the new Bob Dylan?"

Springsteen got bigger than Dylan and ... it's way off base.

Think people THINK. Maybe your hats are too tight.

Public figure... Josh Berenstein... on TV everyday in commericials ... good lookin guy in a good lookin hat ???

Now... think about this... (remove you hat if it's too tight)... maybe, just maybe... a hat craze will start with everybody wanting a hat like Josh Berenstein.

I know it's only a TV show. He's not Harrison Ford. But, he's probably getting more exposure than Indiana Jones did in it's day.

It's not a bad thing. I think that it's something that will help bring back the HAT!

BRUNO

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
More exposure than Indiana Jones?!? WTF?!?

You're way off base. Raiders of the Lost Ark was the biggest film of 1981 - back before the general audience was splintered into little Balkanized special-interest groups. Two hit sequels, a TV series, endless play on cable and broadcast TV, VHS and DVD copies...

"Digging for the Truth" may be the biggest show on the History Channel, but it's still a special-interest channel that isn't universally available, and isn't even on a lot of people's radar who actually have it on their cable systems.

Josh Bernstein will NEVER be a household name, much less the poster boy for hat-wearing archeologists!

Feraud

Bartender
akaBruno said:
Springsteen got bigger than Dylan and ... it's way off base.

Think people THINK. Maybe your hats are too tight.

Public figure... Josh Berenstein... on TV everyday in commericials ... good lookin guy in a good lookin hat ???

Now... think about this... (remove you hat if it's too tight)... maybe, just maybe... a hat craze will start with everybody wanting a hat like Josh Berenstein.

I know it's only a TV show. He's not Harrison Ford. But, he's probably getting more exposure than Indiana Jones did in it's day.

It's not a bad thing. I think that it's something that will help bring back the HAT!

BRUNO
Why assume anyone who disagrees is not thinking?
The Indiana Jones character is a cultural icon. People who have never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark know who Indiana Jones is.
Can the same be true about Josh and his little cable show?
Why don't you take an impromptu poll. Walk down the street and ask random people two questions -
A - Who is Josh Bernstein
B - Who is Indiana Jones

Let us know the results.

S

Samsa

Bruce A. Fulmer said:
Do we realize how disappointing it would be if everyone wore hats and therefore we weren't remarkable at all?

Actually, I think I'd be quite happy to see everyone else wearing hats. I always grin when I see someone else around town wearing a fedora, be they old or young. True, we would no longer be "remarkable," but everyone would be better dressed.

It should also be noted that Bernstein does NOT wear a fedora.

Mateo

New in Town
I wouldn't mind more people wearing hats at all.
There is always room for being different with styling and colors if that is your wish.
My aim is to dress good and I would love to see more people do that. :)

Best, M.

vintage68

Practically Family
As a professional working in the advertising industry I can say without reservation that a little media exposure, especially on TV, goes a long way. So yes, Bernstein wearing a hat will help the industry, but not to the degree Raiders did.

BTW, the hat he wears was made by Nathaniels in Colorado, close to where I live. I'm sure if you spoke to Nate he would tell you his sales have gone up as a result of the publicity.

MattJH

One Too Many
Samsa said:
It should also be noted that Bernstein does NOT wear a fedora.

I respectfully disagree as detailed in this thread. I know that there are all kinds of cowboy hats, but his... it looks like an Australian-flavored fedora to me, no matter which angle I look at it.

vintage68 said:
BTW, the hat he wears was made by Nathaniels in Colorado, close to where I live.

To quote Josh Bernstein: "I've had several hats over the past 20-plus years, all named Henry (it's a long story). Henry I and II were Akubras, while Henry III through V were custom made for me by Steve King of Bounty Hunter Hats (III) in Telluride, Colorado, and Nathaniel Funmaker of Nathaniel's of Colorado (IV and V) in Mancos, Colorado. The newer models are 100 percent beaver felt and, therefore, not cheap. But they hold up very well to years and years of abuse and adventure. Sadly, I did once lose one on a trip. Henry III, may he rest in piece. I won't go into the gruesome details, but if people in Mexico City could keep an eye out, my name is written on the inside hat band."

warbird

One Too Many
it isn't a fedora, it's a cowboy hat. Call it a Aussie influenced cowboy hat if you like but it's a cowboy hat. I have one very similar. It was made for me by a cowboy hat make. He doesn't make fedoras. This type crease was used quite often on cowboy hats long before it became common on fedoras.

You seem stuck on a view of the cowboy hat as a cattleman's crease. in reality cowboy hats come in more shapes than fedoras do and I probably has 8 maybe 10 different cowboy hat styles and only 3 or 4 fedora styles.

MattJH

One Too Many
warbird said:
You seem stuck on a view of the cowboy hat as a cattleman's crease.

Could be true!

Could be that I'm a Philadelphia Eagles fan and the thought of cowboys bugs me. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy