Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this 3 PIECE SUIT Edwardian? 1920s? Earlier?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A friend brought me bags of clothing recently, and inside were some pillowcases, an odd cotton cape, a nurse's uniform, cotton strips rolled and tied (bandages, I assume), some immediately pitched nasty fur things, a badly deteriorated 1910's shirt, and this suit. All from the same family. The shirt and suit go together well enough to make me think they belonged together, which helps date it.

Things that make me scratch my head:

• It's rather formal. Cutaway coat.
  • The fabric is not formal. A black-maroon alternating stripe, with the black bits being raised.
  • It is carefully sewn and lined throughout. Too well for a home made job.
  • No labels, dates, markings, except a single label at the collar.
  • Bottom vest/waistcoat button is different - rounder. Yet sewn on at the same time as the rest.
  • Original owner was a bean pole. How often do you see suits this age for a man over six feet tall?

I am thinking pre WWI, same as the shirt (which I will include in this thread for reference). But I'm seeing nothing like it in the resources here on The Lounge.

It measures out as follows:

Trousers - Inseam 32 & 3/4" ||| Outseam 43" ||| Waist 34"

Waistcoat - Pit to pit 18 & 1/2" ||| Front, top of collar to bottom points 24" ||| Back, bottom of collar to bottom edge, 18"

Coat/Jacket - Pit to pit 19" ||| Back, bottom of collar to bottom edge, 31" ||| Outside sleeve 24 &1/2" ||| Inside sleeve 18"

Suit size 38, pants 34X32.

Front. The buttons are fabric covered, and sewn on within the lining. No threads show on the reverse. This is true of the waistcoat, also. The way the front sweeps aside like this is odd unusual to my limited experience and is the thing that most has me stumped in dating it.

1910_Suit_Front.jpg

Back. Buttons at the top of the vent.

1910_Suit_Back.jpg

Coat lining.

1910_Suit_Lining.jpg

The only mark, anywhere.

1910_Suit_Label.jpg

The only damage is a small hole at the shoulder. This is the inside view of it.

1910_Suit_Damage-1.jpg

Outside view of damage.

1910_Suit_ShoulderDamage.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Trousers.

Front. (Pants are uncuffed). Buckle back.

1910_Suit_Pants_Front.jpg

Back.

1910_Suit_Pants_Back.jpg

Lining. Button fly, slant pockets. No labels here, either.

1910_Suit_Pants_Lining.jpg

No marks on any of the interior or braces buttons.

1910_Suit_Pants_Button.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The shirt, for reference. Detachable CUFFS. The buttons are placeholders for studs. Bib front, open at the back like a modern, very formal shirt.

Shirt3.jpg

Shirt2.jpg

Shirt1.jpg

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
1890s to very early 1900s. It's a daytime business suit of the era, and it's worth a ton of money. About $1,000+ if sold online.

Last edited:

Barmey

One of the Regulars
Looking at the shape of that armhole and sleeve, it all seems very remenisant of cutters drafts of the 1880s. I'd say it was definitely 19th century. Amazing find! Glad it's out of the pillow case

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Very lucky find, Scotrace.

I recommend that you switch your eBay listing to normal int'l shipping, without the Global Shipping Program. It scares off int'l bidders, especially on high-priced items. The amount paid through GSP doesn't mean a thing to customs of the recipient's country; the recipient will have to pay import charges all over again, likely even including taxation of the GSP charges.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Very lucky find, Scotrace.

I recommend that you switch your eBay listing to normal int'l shipping, without the Global Shipping Program. It scares off int'l bidders, especially on high-priced items. The amount paid through GSP doesn't mean a thing to customs of the recipient's country; the recipient will have to pay import charges all over again, likely even including taxation of the GSP charges.

Agreed. I never bid when the GSP is activated. It's an Ebay scam.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Agreed. I never bid when the GSP is activated. It's an Ebay scam.

You bet. eBay even admits it, you just have to dig into the eBay.com Global Shipping Program Buyer Terms & Conditions.

7. Payment and Program Fees.
[...]
Exclusions. You alone are responsible for any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to (or made available for pickup at) the delivery address specified by you or the collection center near you that is designated by Pitney Bowes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy