Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this hat too tall for me?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

Here you have various views (taken from archives ;) ) of me wearing a Penman hat, Indiana Jones Raiders style. It has a 5 1/2'' tall (open) crown, with a centerdent. Brim is dimensionally cut, 2 1/2'' sides, 2 3/4'' front and back.

The question is, do you think the height is right for me, or is it too tall? I have other hats with a 5 1/2'' crown, but with c-crown or diamond creases, which reduce overall height more than a centerdent; indeed, the height is more apparent in this hat.

DSC_0276-1.jpg

DSC_0280-1.jpg

DSC_02202.jpg

DSC_0275-1.jpg

DSC_02112-1.jpg

Penman2.jpg

I do have another 5 1/2'' tall hat with a centerdent, a Stetson Open Road, I enclose photos of this one for comparison (not very good phots I'm afraid); I felt this one looked right on me, so I ordered the same crown specifications for the Penman.

or1.jpg

or2.jpg

I do like the hat, and I would say its height is essentially apparent only from direct and near-direct frontal angles; it looks taller than the Stetson, but I think the fact this one is lighter in colour and the Penman is darker may account to a certain extent for this; as may the fact that the Penman has straighter sides.

So, what do you think? I am already thinking of another 5 1/2'' tall crown with a centerdent (non-Indy styled this time) and would like to hear your opinions.

Regards!

donCarlos

Practically Family
I like those hats, but I´d honestly say that they are too large (by that I mean all dimensions, not only height) for your head. At least from some angles. It may fit well, but looks huge.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I think it looks too tall from the front. I have this problem too, and if you drop the center "V" of the crease down, that helps make the hat look less tall from the front, but keeps the side height where it looks fine as well as the 3/4 view.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
donCarlos said:
I like those hats, but I´d honestly say that they are too large (by that I mean all dimensions, not only height) for your head. At least from some angles. It may fit well, but looks huge.

With regard to the Penman, this was my first reaction, as well, Torpedo. Could just be the photography -- but the crown as a whole seems extremely large on you. You have a longer, narrower facial structure, and that Penman just seems like a whole lotta crown to me relative to your features.

In contrast, the OR looks great -- the crown is not as full, and the height is not an issue. So -- I think that that particular height looks fine on you, so long as the proportions of the crown are also appropriate.

I'm a big fan of your lids and your look, so my comments are meant in a constructive way! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
kaosharper1 said:
I think it looks too tall from the front. I have this problem too, and if you drop the center "V" of the crease down, that helps make the hat look less tall from the front, but keeps the side height where it looks fine as well as the 3/4 view.

I have to agree with Kao. Try to lower the front v a little, if you do anything at all. I think, mainly, that the hat is just too new and hasn't broken in yet. It needs time to conform a little to your head, and I think it will look better and better over time. I have found that most good Raiders hats need a break-in period to look their best. I think the crown and brim are fine, though.

Feraud

Bartender
You have a distinct V shaped lower half of your face and it is being overwelmed by the large brim and too blocky crown.
I would be curious to see pics of you in a narrower brim, let's say 2 1/4 but no more than 2 1/2, and a crown with slight taper.

Having said that I think this pic is looks fine.
DSC_0275-1.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
I agree - the crown is too tall and the brim is too wide. This could be due to camera angles, too, but it does appear to take over your head a bit. Give these other suggestions a try regarding alternate creasings. I've found that sometimes a crown height adjustment also, somehow, effects brim width a bit as far as how it's perceived by the eye. It's definitely a nice hat, and if modifications are necessary, then so be it.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Brim's good but yup, the crown's overpowering you. Just the slightest of degrees can make a real difference in these things. Try some shaping techniques - you know what you're doing by now, Torp' - to drop that crown a little visually and you'll be onto a winner.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
It's a nice hat, and you look good in it, but it's a bit to tall for you, for my taste.[huh] I also agree with Kao

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, but Michael, Harrison and you were gifted with strong, squared jaws. Torpedo, like myself, has a much more tapered face shape. Respectfully, I think it's a matter of how this hat looks on him more than how it looks on Mr. Ford. :)

dschonn

Familiar Face
I think it's less that the crown is too high (though that may also be true), and more that it's just too full for your face when viewed straight on. If I were presented with this difficulty, I would try to introduce a slight and subtle taper (heresy for an Indy hat, I know), perhaps by deepening the center dent a bit, which would balance better with the shape of your face. The pictures that aren't straight on, particularly the fourth one with the tie and leather jacket, look good, because of the way the dents alter the silhouette of the hat and lend a bit of visual taper.

With perhaps one exception, nobody looks exactly like Harrison Ford, so we probably shouldn't all wear his hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner