Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is your fedora tipped?

metropd

One Too Many
fatwoul said:
...a full 180 degrees. :D :D

:eek:fftopic: quite witty

Yes I wear my hat tilted to the right. One day I switched to the left and was walking past Patrick James Menswear in San Diego and an old black man said" dats a bad brim baby but tilt that sucka to the right" From then on I have always worn my fedoras on the right.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
youngmaninphotoboothwittj9.jpg

"Whadda youse mean my hats on funny...?!"

metropd

One Too Many
Sefton said:
youngmaninphotoboothwittj9.jpg

"Whadda youse mean my hats on funny...?!"

Great picture! Sefton it looks great tilted that way!:eusa_clap I just got in a habbit of tilting it right there is no "right" angle to wear it.

Alon

One of the Regulars
If the angle of your hat has any connotation(s), as fatwoul suggests, I think it is that a leveled hat implies practicality, businessy, or to-the-point attitude, and an angled hat daring, jaunty, or artsie.

At least those are some adjectives that enter my mind when I see one of the two styles.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Left,right,straight;as long as the fedora suits your face it'll look o.k.
Now if we were talking about ball caps it's a different story. You put one on your head backwards or sideways you immediately assume the guise of the typical lout: Originally Genus Americanus.He is now known to populate every inhabitable land mass and is found among the indigenious lifeforms there. [huh]

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Sefton said:
Now if we were talking about ball caps it's a different story. You put one on your head backwards or sideways you immediately assume the guise of the typical lout...

I don't think I've ever worn a ball cap backwards. I have, however, worn a FEDORA BACKWARDS! I was taking pictures with an old single lens reflex camera, and the brim kept getting in the way. It wouldnt snap up, so I turned the hat around backwards. It worked great!

fatwoul

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
I don't think I've ever worn a ball cap backwards. I have, however, worn a FEDORA BACKWARDS! I was taking pictures with an old single lens reflex camera, and the brim kept getting in the way. It wouldnt snap up, so I turned the hat around backwards. It worked great!

Yes thats the same problem I have. It isn't normally an issue unless I am using flash, but if I am using an older, much larger camera like my F2the brim is a problem. My Federation flips up nicely, so long as I remember to put the brim down again afterwards. My Fieldmaster has to come off altogether, since it does not have a snap brim. The backwards thing wouldn't help with that hat, since the brim is downturned at the back too. lol

I regret to say that I have worn all sorts of caps backwards, for the same reason, but I have never - ever - done it to be cool.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fatwoul said:
Yes thats the same problem I have. It isn't normally an issue unless I am using flash, but if I am using an older, much larger camera like my F2the brim is a problem. My Federation flips up nicely, so long as I remember to put the brim down again afterwards. My Fieldmaster has to come off altogether, since it does not have a snap brim. The backwards thing wouldn't help with that hat, since the brim is downturned at the back too. lol

I regret to say that I have worn all sorts of caps backwards, for the same reason, but I have never - ever - done it to be cool.

Hollywood cameramen in the early days wore newboy caps and turned them backwards while they shot film due, of course, to using the eyepiece on the camera while they cranked away in the pre-sound days. Oh, my, another plus in the cap category!;)

17084_0002.jpg

dean

Wesne

One of the Regulars
I wear mine pretty level from side to side (I don't really consciously try; that's just the way it fits) but if I'm feeling jaunty I may tip it back a little farther on my head. When taking pictures with a flash atop my camera I'll either let the flash push down the front of the brim (which on the Resistol I've been wearing is just over 2 inches and quite soft, allowing for this) or, on occasion, snap up the brim in the front.

pgoat

One Too Many
Mine is always tipped a bit over the left eye....when I was a long haired youth my hair always fell that way, so this is the closest I get to that these days!

If it gets too hot I get temporary relief by pushing it back off the face a bit -

a little warm= Frank Sinatra semi-tilt;

franksinatraff4.jpg

way too hot for a hat but too lazy or manually occupied to remove and hold hat= Paul Simonon/Two-tone bands back o' head rake.

afnv.2Uob

pic_down_beat_12_82_a.jpg

afnj.6OJa

Topper had it down, too:
afnh.70GH

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Tilted just a bit to the left, my evening commute is in a generally North by North West, and wearing it that way helps block out the rays of the setting sun. Generally not tilted back far at all for the same reason.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Then again the Akubra Casual that I just un-boxed looks and seems best tilted to the right.

It was a birthday gift, had to try it on early as I will be in Las Vegas for my birthday!!

Snazzy

New in Town
I wear it straight, but just because it feels right that way. I tried the tilted, but with my Federation the crown just seems to tall to be tilted. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but straight is the way for me.

Unless I'm sitting at a bar or some high top table...then I tend to sit it back on my head a bit with a slight tilt. Always wondered why I saw guys do that, but it just seems right [huh]

Noindex

New in Town
I wear mine with a slight tilt to the left. I never really thought about it until reading this thread, but it has never occurred to me to tilt it to the right. Left tilt simply feels more natural I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80