Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It was the kind of night...I love those old pulp thrillers.

jameson

New in Town
Does anyone write hard-boiled detective genre fiction of the thirties and forties style. I mean with dames and mugs and greasy trigger-men?

Corky

Practically Family
Read some prose by James Ellroy...

Checek out anything by James Ellroy.

150px-JamesEllroy.jpg

jameson

New in Town
Thank you, guys. That's a great website (hardcasecrime)
And Corky, I actually have a signed copy of LA Confidential
Great advice.

Talbot

One Too Many
I'm always looking for film noir themes and background music.

I haven't done so well to date, but I have two comps from later films called Crime Jazz, Murder in the First Degree, and (you guessed it) Murder in the Second Degree.

Mostly themes from later 50's films such as Touch of Evil etc. Very enjoyable, just not in the earlier gumshoe category.

This is good:

Spillane.jpg

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
One of the great opening paragraphs in hard-boiled crime fiction:

"There was a wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down out of the mountain passes and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge."

Author and story? (I expect anybody here can answer that one in his sleep.)

And to blow my own trumpet, you can find one of my stories, though it's set in 1962, on Thrilling Detective: http://www.thrillingdetective.com/fiction/07_12_03.html

jameson

New in Town
Hey, that story was great. I have a link to one of mine on thrilling detective, but you have to pay for it. Where do we find more of your stuff?
And speaking of Chandler, how about this one:

"He snorted and hit me in the solar plexus.
I bent over and took hold of the room with both hands and spun it. When I had it nicely spinning I gave it a full swing and hit myself on the back of the head with the floor."

The man could write.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hey, that story was great. I have a link to one of mine on thrilling detective, but you have to pay for it. Where do we find more of your stuff?
And speaking of Chandler, how about this one:

"He snorted and hit me in the solar plexus.
I bent over and took hold of the room with both hands and spun it. When I had it nicely spinning I gave it a full swing and hit myself on the back of the head with the floor."

The man could write.
He could indeed. Nearly everybody who's followed him in the crime field has had to deal with the fact he was there and staked out the territory already.

Here's another of mine in the same early '60s series: http://www.mystericale.com/index.php?issue=091&body=file&file=greater.htm

And I had a third out on the now-deceased e-zine "Crime and Suspense," a story that grew out of my question after watching "It's a Wonderful Life" for the umpteenth time, "What if George Bailey had secretly been a hit man?"

jameson

New in Town
Happy 2012

It's a new year and I've decided to write another Malone story this one. My contract on ONE MORE NIGHT TO KILL will be up in about six months and I'm going to need to start shopping it around again. My question:
Does anyone still buy hardboiled detective stories?
Or do people just read about vampires anymore?
I'm going to write it anyway. Just curious.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!http://www.amazon.com/One-More-Night-Kill-ebook/dp/B004U2FLA8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails