Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's At The Tip Of Your Tongue

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
It often happens. That word that you can't quite "put your finger on". It's "at the tip of your tongue", but what is that word?

Explain a moment that you couldn't think of the right word and if you ever thought of it later.

OK!!.....uh..Oh Crap!...and I had it right on the tip of my tongue,too!
I'll put my finger on that moment in a minute. I think the word rhymed with orange...or perhaps gorilla. It was that time in June...full moon....in Schenectady,NY...no...maybe it rhymed with Schenectady. If you hadn't of asked...it would have instantly come to me! Maybe it was Roswell...or rhymed with....See what you caused...:mad:
If I think of it later..I hope I don't forget it..then hafta try and think of it again..then forget it before I can say it....
WAIT..now I remember!! the word was.....happyfilmluvguy....or was it... troublemaker...

K

killertomata

When it happens to me, I invariably remember the word some time later and blurt it out when it no longer has to do with whatever is being discussed. lol

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's a word for it but it's not dyspepsia

Two years ago it was so bad that my doctor scheduled an MRI. Nothing wrong in my noggin, so he asked me some questions and rightly put it down to stress in my home life. I was afraid at the time that when I eventually became a nurse I'd forget an important word or phrase. :eek:
My dad would forget some unimportant words consistently, like chauvinist and fondue (he'd say "I know the word's not yogurt"). I told him it was no big deal, they were foreign-sounding words so more likely to get confused about them, and to write them down. When he died at age 82 a few weeks later I found them written in the back of a favorite book. :(

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
This happens to me constantly. I forget song lyrics, names, places, singers, you name it, I forget it. Then, right after it no longers matters, it pops into my head and I shout it out. My wife loves me for it. ;) I get it from my father, he does it even more than I do, if that is possible.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
"It's on the tip of my tongue...

...I know!...Saliva!"

allen.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As an English major, I'm constantly using unnecessarily verbose sentences requiring multiple, archaic words but off the top of my head, I can only think of one I'd forgotten (although I forget words all the time).

I was trying to think of the word "collateral" when referring to a bank loan and all I could come up with was "correlate". I had some difficulty with that one for a few days.

I probably forget a word at least once a week that I remember the week after. Pretty sad.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
It was three days after telling a story before I remembered that Migros was the name of the upscale Swiss grocery chain where I found my Christmas duck.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I periodically forget simple everyday words. So usually I will start trying to describe what it is, in the hopes of jogging it to the surface. It often works.

My most recent episode was this last weekend. I had been speaking to a friend about the name of Kroger grocery stores in California and for the life of me I couldn't come up with it no matter how I tried.
A few days later, in our Colorado Kroger store (which is King Soopers by the way) I suddenly turned to my husband and said in a loud voice: "It's Ralph's!" My husband, of course, looked at me blankly and as though I was losing my mind. I then had to explain that I had just come up with the name of store which had evaded me days earlier. I'm not sure which emotion won out, the triumph of finally succeeding, or the silliness of how I announced my discovery! lol

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I tend to dramatically yell out the answer like I've made the world's greatest discovery, as well.

Oh and I think anyone here from Los Angeles could have told you it was Ralphs. :p

Next time someone here is in this situation, and is near a computer, post it here!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I always say don't think about it and it will come to you. Sometiimes that's impossible. Then you drive yourself crazy. It's good to practice to do a little good old fashioned zen mind emptying at moments like this.

Dagwood

Practically Family
My biggest problem is when I write words that look like they are spelled wrong but I know are correct.

For instance, I've written "the" a zillion times (OK - maybe a billion). However, every so often, I look at the word and think its not spelled correctly. I've had that problem with other words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats