Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's Kentucky Derby weekend!

Davidson

One of the Regulars
I'm wearing my derby from now through the weekend in honor of the Kentucky Derby. If you like a special reason to wear your derby, here's a good one!

Anybody interested in trying to create a "calendar" of appropriate days / weeks to wear certain types of hats? I don't really have the hat history knowledge.

Week before the first weekend in May. Event: Kentucky Derby Men: Derby Women: Ladies hats at the Kentucky Derby are as old a tradition as the Derby itself.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Davidson said:
I'm wearing my derby from now through the weekend in honor of the Kentucky Derby. If you like a special reason to wear your derby, here's a good one!

Anybody interested in trying to create a "calendar" of appropriate days / weeks to wear certain types of hats? I don't really have the hat history knowledge.

Week before the first weekend in May. Event: Kentucky Derby Men: Derby Women: Ladies hats at the Kentucky Derby are as old a tradition as the Derby itself.

Let's see a pic. That's kind of funny coming from me, a guy without a digital camera, expecting everyone else to be photo capable.

dean

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
And I'm dressing as a horse. ;)

:deadhorse

Dare I?;) Which end, coming or going? lol lol lol :eusa_clap
I'm sorry Marc I couldn't resist! Hope you don't mind too terribly, I'm sure you'll get me back soon enough.;)

Well not that that fun is done with...
This will be a perfect weekend for my Stetson derby!:beer:

Cheers!

Dan

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Being from Lousiville, the Derby is such a HUGE deal. Almost like a holiday! Cook outs galore, betting betting betting, oh the days :rolleyes:

I miss Lousiville at Derby....

Jay

Practically Family
I've never been to the Derby but always wanted to go. I've read Hunter Thompsons' "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved," is it still like that?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
deanglen said:
I think I'll switch from boxers to jockeys for the week.;)
On Saturday, I'll be switching from jockeys (Kentucky Derby) in the afternoon, to boxers (De La Hoya vs Mayweather) in the evening. ;)

BTW, Queen Elizabeth will be attending the Derby and rumor has it that Queen Latifah will be at the fight. :p

epic610

One of the Regulars
Seriously,

I saw a segment on a cable news program about women's hats at the derby. does anyone have any insights or photos about men wearing hats on dergby day?

RBH

Bartender
epic610 said:
I saw a segment on a cable news program about women's hats at the derby. does anyone have any insights or photos about men wearing hats on dergby day?
Although I wasnt there, [I saw it on the news] at the Arkansas Derby recently alot of the men were wearing some nice looking panamas. The weather was kinda warm at the time.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
epic610 said:
does anyone have any insights or photos about men wearing hats on dergby day?
5580628_7_2.jpg

5580570_7_2.jpg

5580572_7_2.jpg

5580626_7_3.jpg

5580574_7_2.jpg

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
I went to the KY derby last year, it was great. It would be even greater if one year we planned a vintage derby outing and we tailgated (I don't think that's the proper word) together. Wouldn't we turn heads!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Most of the local folk of the area dont get into the Downs. Thats reserved for the people who fly in and their millions of dollars lol Those who are brave enough to battle the crowd can see the race live, from the building, on tvs lol

Gotta love that. :eusa_doh:

LD

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I didn't see a horse the whole day. Only rich people get to see live horses, lol. I made $3.25 and looked fabulous anyway. We'd definitely have to go the cheap route if we planned something like that!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As Kentuckians in exile, my wife and I try to have people over for the Derby every year. We were able to do so this year, and fixed hot browns and derby pie.

"My old Kentucky home, far away..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner