Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's my face - isn't it?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Ladies (especially) and gents.
I have a question. Something has puzzled me during the last week.
How come your face becomes public property, the moment you start growing a beard or moustache?
The moment it's there it's like everybody is free to tell you what they think about it. (Especially my sweet wife...:rolleyes: )

Unless I can make a positive remark, I do not comment on other peoples hairstyle or dresses.
But with a moustache it's different...everybody is free to make jokes, negative comments - and positive.
I thought it was my face. Obviously it's not.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It's not your face, it's the fact that you have the guts to be a non-conformist that people start ridiculing you. Before I used to wear a hat and other obvious vintage inspired clothing, I never received a single comment. As soon as I started hat wearing I started getting the comments (though more good ones as well as dumb ones). Why? Because I stopped conforming.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire, I'm certainly guilty of commenting on my friend's beards! To me it's the equivalent of a new haircut (it is hair after all!), so it feels natural to say something. I didn't regard it as a sensitive topic (although I'd never say anything negative, ofcourse). Now I know better thanks to you ;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I do not see myself as touchy but just to give you all a few examples:

- "Planning to join the policeforce/army/airforce?"
- "Got a cold?"
- "Hey, what's that under your nose?"
- "Are we going to Stuttgart with that?"
- "That was smart in the 60's!"
- "Trying to look younger?"
- "You look at lot older!!!"

But also:

- "Cool"
- "It suits you"
- "Wish I could do that - but my wife wont let me..."

[huh]

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spitfire I grew a beard for the first time in my life this winter. I shaved it off last week and asked someone their opinion.

I was very surprised by their answer. :D :D

I am growing it back. It goes with my earring gives me an edgier look. I liked it to begin with, but, do not know why I shaved it. [huh] [huh]

As far as knuckle headed remarks: they come and go like the tide. [huh]

Saturday I went out to dinner and went to a show. The waitress was telling me how she would like me to take her out as I looked like a man from the "Cotton Club" she wrote her tel number on the
bill. lol lol I am not going to cry about that.

So the my attitude is: Take what comments you want and leave the rest behind.

These are comments from people you don't know?

Certainly in the UK, this would be the reaction (from people who do know you) to any change of appearance . Nothing is meant by it, just lighthearted ribbing.

Personally, i hate shaving. I find it painful and a chore. I don't think clean shaven looks better than facial hair. But the wife hates kissing me when i have a beard - apparently it hurts. I agree with her. When saying goodbye to friends and going through the kiss on the cheek ritual, stubble is a bit painful.

bk

Creeping Past

One Too Many
The issue of prickliness can be overcome by growing the beard and m[o]ustache longer. It softer and much more pleasant for both parties.

Geesie

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
Ladies (especially) and gents.
I have a question. Something has puzzled me during the last week.
How come your face becomes public property, the moment you start growing a beard or moustache?
The moment it's there it's like everybody is free to tell you what they think about it. (Especially my sweet wife...:rolleyes: )

Unless I can make a positive remark, I do not comment on other peoples hairstyle or dresses.
But with a moustache it's different...everybody is free to make jokes, negative comments - and positive.
I thought it was my face. Obviously it's not.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but your face is indeed your wife's property.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Just wait until your beard is long and everyone thinks they've got the right to touch it.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Among friends it's the always forceful question of social norms coupled with the striking change in your once familiar appearance. Once you have worn a beard or mustache for a good period of time friends will comment when you remove or alter it.

Among strangers, it's just a question of social norms.

The status of you face (as yours or communal property) has always been and remains both.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
Among friends it's the always forceful question of social norms coupled with the striking change in your once familiar appearance. Once you have worn a beard or mustache for a good period of time friends will comment when you remove or alter it.

I was thinking about that very idea as I was reading through the thread.

Last year, when I shaved off my 20+ year moustache and goatee/sometimes beard, no one said anything, even if they noticed. When I asked my wife about it, she said it had been a part of me for so long, she hadnt noticed. I thought that was a little backwards, but hey.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
I was thinking about that very idea as I was reading through the thread.

Last year, when I shaved off my 20+ year moustache and goatee/sometimes beard, no one said anything, even if they noticed. When I asked my wife about it, she said it had been a part of me for so long, she hadnt noticed. I thought that was a little backwards, but hey.

wow no one noticed! most guys look really different with & without facial hair, that if one shaves it all off, it would be difficult to recognize the person unless you know & seen him without it before [huh]

for me it's laziness & it grows in slow... so I don't get comments because if it starts to look a little scraggly I just get rid of it and the process starts all over again....

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It works both ways. I had a mustache in various forms for a long, long time. Got tired of trimming around it and all a few months ago, and just shaved the whole thing away.
People did notice, but I simply replied,..."What mustache??"
My life is easier now,...:)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I have often wondered about, how women would take it, if their friends, lovers and husbands suddenly began commenting and ordering them to change their looks.
- Stop dying your hair, it looks stupid!
- Why don't you use another lipstick, I am tired of that color.
- Stop using so much makeup.Makes you look older.
- Use more makeup! You do look old.
- Do you have to wear those earrings?
- Get a haircut.
- Grow your hair longer....whatever.

Yep, I know..... "It's only good sound advice, and it all depends on how you say it!" I don't think so! It's interferring in another persons life!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot