Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's Time To Unwind

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We live in a hectic world full of gadgets, noise, days that make you want to go home and collapse.

Of course, the world has always had it's bothers, these bothers have just changed since the golden era. I'd imagine, but do not know, that after a long stressful day a man or woman in the golden era would have something that they did to unwind, to take their mind off of the stresses of living during that time. I'm sure this all depended on where one lived or what one had. I imagine a hard working man going to the local bar and sipping an ice cold beer and chatting with friends. Or a woman, after finally putting the kids down and washing the dishes, sitting by the fire and knitting.
Today's worries might differ from those of back then, but it doesn't make them any less troublesome. We work hard, we take care of our families, we think about finances, as it was decades ago. But today their is a very public focus on stress. It seems that just about every other commercial I see is for a new miracle anti-anxiety drug or drug to treat depression. They make it seem like you pop this pill and all of your worries go away. We all know this isn't possible. It seems like the world around us is incredibly noisy. Phones ringing, computers dinging, children yelling, horns honking, crowded malls during the holidays. All being pressed by some anxious person living the hectic life that we all live. When I get home locking the door is like the first attempt to lock out all of the noise and fast pace of the outside world. It's time to unwind.

So, what do you do to close the outside off. Is your apartment or house your sanctuary of choice or do you go down to the local bar for a single malt and conversation with a neighbor? Is the hectic world something you just deal with as part of your every day routine and not something that brings a bit of anxiety to yourself? I don't know about you, but after being out in the world for a bit of time, I treasure the silence of my home. Well, as silent as a city apartment can be that is located right on the train line and at a major intersection.

I need to take time to click my head back on my shoulders. Sometimes I feel like I've been in a whirlwind, and that first exhale after coming home feels so good. Nothing feels quite as good as sitting on my deep seated sofa with a good book and a glass of wine. With my cats curled up beside me and the fire lit. I don't need some happy pill to ease myself. After all these are everyday stresses that people have been dealing with since the dawn of time. If society could unwind without the help of some miracle drug for thousands of years, I can easily take it easy without their help. Since when is curling up in bed and watching a silly movie, or sitting and doing a needlepoint not enough? That is if, in this busy and hectic world, you have the chance to do so.

In the world we live in their have always been troubles. Some times were much worse than others. People learned to deal with these troubles for many of years.
Our world is fast paced, the most technologically advanced, filled with 60 hour work weeks, bills to pay, health problems, family problems, all of these stresses that everyone has to deal with on some level or another. How do you get away from it all? Do you wait for your vacation and do all of your un-winding at once or do you have a daily/weekly routine that you commit to to keep yourself balanced?
There is a pill for everything nowadays, and I know that some of them are actually useful. I do believe that there are people who do need their help. But I'm talking about the everyday stressors that we all have, that people have had for centuries. So, what do you do to unwind??

moustache

Practically Family
Good question Daisy!

My wife and i try to get out of the apartment a few times a week for some "cultural" activity.Used to be the Oregon Symphony as we had season tickets.Too expensive now.So a nice hot cup of tea or coffee at the local cafe does nice sometimes. And i ALWAYs have a book! Society should read more books instead of banning or burning them. I try not to get into the gadget thing.I have a cell phone which i use rarely.The computer and cd player are my most complicated devices. If the power went out,i would be fine as i have no real NEED for such electronics.Admittedly,the refrigerator is nice:p :p

During the spring and summer,Lavendar Lady and i go to bird sanctuaries and bird watch.Also hiking in the beautiful Pacific northwest,world travel and time with each other is enough for us.

JD

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Whenever I need to unwind I like to go out with my friends and/or boyfriend and do something -- anything! Even if it's as simple as walking down the block to get some frozen yogurt, it makes everything a lot easier for me. I hate being cooped up in my apartment.

Another thing I love to do with my boyfriend when nobody is in his house (he lives with his parents, older sister, her husband, their 3 children, his grandma, and his uncle -- phew!), which is as you can see, very rare, is just lie in the middle of their living room floor and do NOTHING. Just lying there in silence feels amazing!

koopkooper

Practically Family
I think the best way to relax is to get completly drunk....rolling around on the floor....nah just kiddin, I think putting on some Frank, unplugging the phone is a swell way of get out of the modern world, that and reading a book that takes you back in time, or watching an old sitcom or movie.

I also like to take the 57 Chrysler out on the open road and just cruise by myself listening to music and that gets me out of the modern world and nice n relaxed baby!

moustache

Practically Family
koopkooper said:
I think the best way to relax is to get completly drunk....rolling around on the floor....nah just kiddin, I think putting on some Frank, unplugging the phone is a swell way of get out of the modern world, that and reading a book that takes you back in time, or watching an old sitcom or movie.

I also like to take the 57 Chrysler out on the open road and just cruise by myself listening to music and that gets me out of the modern world and nice n relaxed baby!

That sounds VERY relaxing.Just don't fall asleep while driving that 57 please!!!

JD

canucklehead

New in Town
For me, one of the most relaxing things I can do is go out on the balcony with a pipe and a book and tune the world out for a couple of hours.

Everything about pipesmoking either forces me to slow down or is relaxing in and of itself. The second I open the pouch of burley/cavendish blend and catch the sweet bouquets, something clicks inside my brain and two magnitudes of stress leave my body. The act of filling the bowl is necessarily not rushed, if you want it done properly. Depending on the size of bowl I use, I can make a pipe last a good hour and a half, if not longer. There's nothing better than losing yourself in a good book, occasionally taking sips from the pipe and not knowing or caring how long you've been doing it.

Another thing that I do whenever I can to blow off steam is play with my almost-two-year-old daughter. An hour or two of being an amusement park ride, dinner guest, colouring companion and dancing partner to someone with limitless supplies of energy not only gets me laughing and sends my mood three notches up the scale or more, it also tires me out to the point I can't be bothered to worry about much.

Other times, just curling up on the sofa with my wife while we read our books, or watch a video, is enough.

These are my day-to-day methods, in no particular order. There are others I employ occasionally, such as a round of golf with a friend, or a day at the beach, but they're few and far between.

-Mike

Daisy Buchanan

You all have great ways of relaxing.

I love going to the symphony. I try to go at least once a year and consider myself lucky to go twice. Prices really have gone up.

Pigeon Toe, I totally understand what you mean about lying in the middle of the floor and doing nothing, just staring at the ceiling. Blocking out the sounds outside.

My dad has always loved to drive so I remember going on long car rides in the spring in his 56 SL convertible. Even though I don't do that anymore, just the thought of those warm nights in the wind brings some semblance of peace.

I hate to say that I can't live without electronics. I don't have a home phone, so my mobile gets a lot of use. But, I can and will turn it off.

Our cable company has this channel that is meant to show off how great HD television is. They show films of different areas in the world. It's just a helicopter flying over different areas. Other films are of animals in the wild. It's so relaxing to put on some soft music and watch.

When I had a dog I would go on lots of walks. I still try to take them, but not as often as I like or should, especially now that the weather is getting cold. I did have one experience about a month ago when it was unusually warm for the time of year. I put my iPod on a mellow playlist that I had made and started walking down the street. Before I had realized it I was miles from home. I had gone into a zone where the only thing I was thinking about were the lyrics of the playing song. I also didn't realize how sore my feet had become. Lucky for me I live on the T (public transit system here in Boston). I was so pooped I had to take a train home. I kept my iPod playing while on the train so I wouldn't lose the calm and peaceful mood I was in. The train was nearly empty, and even though it was only a little more than a 15 minute trip it was actually quite relaxing. A total turn around from the normal rush hour rides in which the cars are jam packed with people in a rush to get to work or appointments.

This is such a girly thing to do but I find a great way to unwind is to take a nice hot long bubble bath. I have a gigantic tub/jacuzzi in the bathroom that's in my bedroom. I have a pillow to rest my head and I use so aromatherapy candles and bubbles. I hear lavender is supposed to be very calming but I also like brown sugar and vanilla. IMO, This is such a great way to bring some peace and quiet to a busy and hectic world.

We have an arboretum not far from our house and walking there can be very peaceful.

It is hard to get absolute quiet living in a city. It is really nice to get out of town on the weekends. I am not far from Maine and New Hampshire. If I'm not able to spend a weekend it's close enough for a day trip. I love getting into the car, with no itinerary, and just seeing where the road will take me.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
124788503_l.jpg

4435378_l.jpg

"Ladies and Gentlemen, on your way home from work, the day has been hard, paperwork at the office, travelling to get your kids to school and from. The whole day has just been a complete mess. Not to say that arriving at the bank too late was troubling, but it does set you back a bit. When stress erupts into your day, so does your stomach, and nothing calms your stomach like Tums does. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Tums. That ever popular product that soothes and slithers your acid indigestion away. Believe your bank problem is keeping you from Tums? Well, Tums is sold at any of your local drug stores and markets, and at a price you can't beat. And when your stomach is relieved, tune in every night for a relaxing episode of Jack Benny, Baby Snooks, The Great Gildersleeve, and more, because while Tums cures your stomach, nothing can completely cure your stress than to laugh to your favorite radio programs. T-U-M-S, Tums for the Tummy, and R-A-D-I-O, laughter for yourself or the whole family"

:D

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks HappyFilmLuvGuy, that is great!!
You have given us a good perspective into how people in the golden era relaxed. Also that ploys of the media are not a new phenomenon and that even back then the idea of taking a pill to take your troubles away was popular.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I agree with you Daisy- I think we are over stimulated with distractions. I've turned to books and my favorite pastime, napping. I love solitude and being with your thoughts. I also love driving.

GOK

One Too Many
Mostly to unwind, I find Lara does the trick! Videogaming may not be GE but I'm not so retro/vintage that I don't want to avail myself of modern technology at my disposal.

Sometimes I'll do the girl thing and have a long soak in a luxurious bubble bath, with a good book and a scented candle. This is followed by a full pampering session.

Or maybe I'll bake.

Or go to bed early and read a book or watch a good film.

Or perhaps look in here.

Or I'll just sit quietly and gather my thoughts.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I walk. There's a little ice cream shop downtown, and one of my favorite things to do is stroll down there in the early evening for a vanilla cone, and then onward to the Boardwalk on the waterfront, where I go out to the end and back. The whole walk is about two miles round trip, and takes me about 45 minutes -- and the exercise cancels out the caloric impact of the ice cream (she rationalized.) And I feel much more relaxed for having done it!

Sunny

One Too Many
I was reading the responses and wondering, since everything y'all have suggested sounded so great, why I hadn't done it! I do hate stress and I've no problem with blocking out the world.

Then I realized that I developed my own tactic many years ago, as soon as I learned to read. Because reading is what it is. Reading fiction, particularly, albeit of wildly varying genres and time periods. I've always loved to read ever since my mother taught me in kindergarten. The most horrible punishment my parents could inflict was to take away all but school reading. :eek:

So I don't need to make any particular effort to withdraw and relax. All I do is pick up a book. I read while I'm getting ready for work in the morning, while eating, brushing my teeth, in the car, drying/curling my hair... you name it, I've at least tried to read while doing it. It's particularly important to me to read before going to sleep at night. That's made for some late nights that I've regretted at 5:30 the next morning (including this morning *coughcough*), but I've no one to blame but myself, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only problem is finding more good books. After I've read them for the eighth time they don't hold me as well for those late-night readings...

LadyStardust

Practically Family
There's the quaintest park about 10 minutes away from my building. I like to go there and walk or sit on one of the benches and muse, or read. At home, long bubble baths and hours of listening to Chopin usually does the trick.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
katiemakeup said:
I agree with you Daisy- I think we are over stimulated with distractions. I've turned to books and my favorite pastime, napping. I love solitude and being with your thoughts. I also love driving.

Napping is the best! Once I wake up from a nap everything seems a little bit more manageable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner