Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've done a little work to the 30's or 40's "Mystery Stetson"....

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This is a great story! Well done, Josh!!! Fantastic lid, and you have done an absolutely amazing job in giving it new life. Love the fact that you have a heather Playboy. Looks great on you -- right out of a 30's Stetson ad. Nicely done!

Cheers,
JtL

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Great hat, Josh! Reminds me of "the hat". Always good to see a rescue story.

B

Thanks, Bill!! It really does look like "the hat," just darker. I had no idea that it was a heather felt when I bought it, but was really excited to see it though.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This is a great story! Well done, Josh!!! Fantastic lid, and you have done an absolutely amazing job in giving it new life. Love the fact that you have a heather Playboy. Looks great on you -- right out of a 30's Stetson ad. Nicely done!

Cheers,
JtL

THANK YOU for your very kind words, Jimmy!! It was a total surprise to me that not only is the hat a heather felt, but also an Air-Light. When I bought the hat from etsy, I knew it was old because of the short brim/tall crown factor, but it just looked like a regular brown hat. I thought to myself, "well I have so many brown hats as-is, but I just can't pass this one up." The seller was nice enough to still sell me the hat for the $18 dollar sale price even after I had her look under the sweatband and she found the Stetson Label. I thought it was very fair of her to keep the price the same, because she even said that she would have had no idea that it was a Stetson unless I asked her to look for a label.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Gentlemen, I hope I'm not crashing in on the wrong thread. Besides the fact that I'm jealous of your $18 unbelievable Stetson, I was hoping to get some of the wisdom of the Lounge to help me with another mystery. I originally posted over on the Homburg thread because I believed I had purchased a homburg. The ribbon is wider on the underside, the stitching is on the top. The confusion was that the hat had the pliable felt of a '40s fedora. There didn't seem to be an uneven wearing of the stiffener that you would expect as a hat was losing its shape. Finally, as I was trying to steam it into shape, I realized that it had "Whippet" written at the head of the headband. So, what the heck is this? Brim is 2 3/8ths, Crown is bashed at 4 3/8ths (it was handed to me as center crown but it took nothing at all to give it a tear drop), ribbon is 1 1/2, and headband is 1 7/8ths. Pictures galore.

9070005775_7934958f39_z.jpg

Underside of the brim:
9072231736_f95fb572fe_z.jpg

Top of the brim:
9070004517_4bb98fc6d6_z.jpg

9076152741_51e7bd1aa3_z.jpg

9076152569_851df8bc31_z.jpg

9076151237_978749844e_z.jpg

9072230960_de70610c14_z.jpg

9070005157_1312dc4726_z.jpg

Miamibruno

One Too Many
In case anyone is curious, the mystery was solved by Alan Friedman. It is a Stetson Whippet homburg. Yes, a Whippet homburg. Apparently they made a few of them. I'm not sure how many, but I'm lucky enough to have one. Thanks, Alan!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou