Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've got that laaazy feeling

Sunny

One Too Many
Some of the discussion in the "Well Put Together Lady" thread made me wonder what you ladies do wear when you're lazing around. This isn't necessarily vintage wear, although I'd love it.

I dress fairly nicely at work all day. Two nights I go to school; the rest are usually at home. Currently I just change into shorts and a tee, but that's won't be lasting when it gets really cold. I've lost weight, and so most of my pants and shorts are too big. I feel sloppy in them. Even the pants that fit aren't comfortable for lazing around, and I've always disliked super-stretch stuff on principle. And though I adore shoes and wear heels all the time, deep down I have always been a barefoot girl. Peeling the hose off is a good feeling. But I can't go barefoot in the winter! Yes, it's Texas, but I've lived here all my life and it doesn't take much for my toes to get cold.

LizzieMaine, you said you wear cotton housedresses and oxfords at hom. Does that include stockings and girdle? If I were staying at home all day I wouldn't mind that, but I don't think I'd do it after a 9-hour work day. What did all those smart 1940s secretaries wear for a quiet evening at home? Short of a woolly bathrobe? :p

I guess I'm searching for ideas about what to wear that's definitely casual but also put together. And warm! In the summer, I can wear decent shorts and a tee and be fine. But being put together in the winter requires more thought.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Another Texan here, and my toesies get cold too!

Until I finish losing weight (a few more months) I will continue to wear my sloppy track pants, stretch shorts, and worn out tank tops around the house. Very soon, most of those will go in the garbage, with a few pieces saved for painting/hair dyeing days. Even though I hated to buy work clothes that I would quickly shrink out of, it was a necessity to have clothes to wear for job-hunting. Soon, I will reach my goal weight and go on a vintage shopping spree!

I have a couple of pairs of fake-leopard booties and some fuzzy socks and "slipper socks" for keeping my feet from freezing.

For vintage "around the house" wear, I think bobby socks are appropriate with a house dress. I wouldn't mind having a "Rosie the Riveter" jumpsuit!

--Leslie

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I too have been losing weight and wear yoga pants when running around the house or when it gets cold out I'll wear--gasp--velour sweat pants. Just like Carmela Soprano but without the accent.

However, this dandy ensemble rarely goes outside.

I do have a lovely chenille bathrobe that vintage snap.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, I actually have to wear a girdle most of the time for functional reasons -- I have a degenerative disc problem, and I need the support to prevent nasty attacks of sciatica. So most of the time I do have a girdle on -- I've got several different kinds, though, and if I know I'm not going to be doing much straining, I'll wear a lightweight one. I'll wear bobby sox at home in the summer -- but in the cold weather, I'll wear cotton stockings.

However, if I'm in total lazy-around-the-house mode, as in sprawling on the couch on a rainy day eating Milk Duds and watching TCM, I might not bother to get dressed at all -- and stay in flannel jammies and rump-sprung corduroy bathrobe. (I dont get anywhere near enough days like that, darn it...)

Avalon

A-List Customer
I have to admit, I'm another of those track suit ladies. :rolleyes: Though lately I've been wearing white or black palazzo pants under a tunic shirt - my version of the dress-and-lounge slacks combo in my favorite pic of Jean Harlow:

jeanxm5.png

What I'd really love is a set of beach pajamas! :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I must admit, if you ladies saw what I wear at home, you might be ashamed of your fellow vintage gal.
I'm not working right now, and am dealing with an illness, so getting dressed up during the day isn't really necessary. Of course, if I have to leave the house to run an errand or go to a Dr.'s appointment, I get dressed, including hose, dress/skirt, and make-up. Even for a quick trip to the pharmacy, I put on a pretty outfit.
At home I lounge around in sweat suits. Not the typical grey sweat that you would wear to the gym. As embarrassing as this is, I have about 6 velvet sweat suits in different cute colors. Some are plain, some have a little embroidery on the sleeves or down the leg (never on the behind!). They are just so super comfortable, and I wouldn't want to wrinkle a pretty skirt or dress by just lazing around in it. I do have some musts, that help me to feel a little less sloppy. The sweat suit must be a complete outfit, right down to the matching t-shirt that I wear underneath it. I never mix and match them. They aren't big and sloppy looking. The pants are boot cut, the sweat shirt is a fitted zip up. They are just the most comfortable outfits to put on and lounge around in. And, if someone comes knocking on the door, I'm not all embarrassed by ill fitting gym pants and an over sized sweat shirt. Sometimes I'll mix it up a bit and wear my very comfy black yoga pants with a fitted light weight fleece.
On my feet, I always have some sort of sock with a silly design on it. Or my very comfortable rubber bottom Acorn slippers. For those of you who don't have a pair of Acorns (I'm not sure if they are a New England thing) they come in a wide variety of styles. They are so comfortable and slip proof, and keep my feet nice and toasty.
At night for sleep I put on a pretty pair of pajamas. Nothing too slinky, but a silk pant and shirt set or a long silk/satin nightgown. There's just something nice going to sleep in something so soft and pretty.
Overall, I like to think that my lounge look is not only comfortable, but somewhat put together. I like getting dressed up. It makes me feel good, confident about myself. But, if I'm spending the day at home studying, watching old movies, or surfing the net, curled up in a blanket, I don't feel a need to get all gussied up. My fitted velvet sweat suits are cute, and comfy. Heck, Most of the girls in my neighborhood wear them out on the town, which I just can't bring myself to do (except when I had to walk the dog, then they were perfect). But for at home, they are perfect. And they still give me that feeling of looking a little put together since they aren't big and baggy and un-matched.
Hope all of your toesies are nice and toastie!

Avalon

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
The sweat suit must be a complete outfit, right down to the matching t-shirt that I wear underneath it. I never mix and match them. They aren't big and sloppy looking. The pants are boot cut, the sweat shirt is a fitted zip up.

Exactly. Even though it's a velvet track suit, it looks clean, stylish and put-together.

Oh, and I wear my black maryjanes most of the time. I even have maryjane sneakers! lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm a jeans/shorts and t-shirt/sweater gal.

However, since I exercise at home, I'll often change right into my workout clothes (shorts and racer-back workout top). I'll often wear that until I shower and go to bed.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At home, alone, I wear my husband's Army cold-weather PT uniform, (sweatshirt and sweatpants) which he gave me when he was stationed in Texas after Maryland. I can take the dogs out in this, get the mail and even go to the store since they are considered street wear. (Before I was married I didn't even OWN sweatpants. I have a collection of hostess gowns which I wore when my dad and I lived together.) The slippers are pink leopard print from the PX which only came in a child's size; sometimes I am lucky to get the fun kiddy stuff since I have small feet. Last week at hubby's apartment in Texas I wore a muu-muu from the thrift store via someone's trip to Hawaii and cheapy slippers from the Dollar General. No bare feet on his floors, yuk.

Redlights

New in Town
I wear my clothes with an apron, usually. I live in aprons at home. I probably spend about an hour at home a day, if I'm lucky, and its usually in between work and running out for the evening so there is no time to think! I just put an apron on when I get home, and take it off when I'm about to go out. (I don't count mornings where I usually hang around in flannel pj's and a bathrobe, and get a little reading in.

On saturdays, which are much more luxurious than the weekdays, I have a quilted dressing gown I eat breakfast in. I guess I like to be dressed to be around the house as well.

I also have my eye on making a bungalow apron for puttering around the house in...

And I sew so easy cotton dresses are great to wear around. On my feet I wear slippers or socks. I want mules though! Or nice lace up oxfords in a good leather. I don't even know where to come across vintage inspired new oxfords to wear around.

Snookie

Practically Family
I've often wondered what the protocal was for wear negligees. Were they strictly for evening? Wikipedia says it was in the 20's that negligees began to resemble eveningwear, and it wasn't until after WWII that they began to be erotic bedroomwear. How can you tell the difference between what should be a 30's evening dress and a 30's negligee? When Ginger Rogers refers to her ensembles as negligees I'm always surprized, because they just look like dresses to me. (Though, I watched The Women the other day, and one of the girls says she'd gladly wear a beautiful nightgown as an evening dress, so I must not be the only one confused!)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
There has been a long trend toward underwear becoming outerwear. During the Civil War, suspenders were considered underwear. When Dior came out with the little black dress in jersey fabric, some didn't like it because jersey was underwear material. Now ladies wear lingerie tops and other dresses that would have been considered slips a few (like, one) generations ago. I guess it won't cause a bloody revolution or an erosion of civil liberties...but there's just not quite as much mystique about a woman who looks (to some of us) like she is in her nightie.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I usually sleep in a tshirt and pajama pants. I don't like nightgowns...
I don't like to hang out at home much, but when I do, since I've started dressing vintage, I won't go all out, I will wear jeans with a nice top or blouse.
I don't wear shoes in the house, because my family and I are from Hawaii and we've never worn shoes in the house. If it's cold though, I will wear slipper socks I got at the drugstore :p

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cotton v neck white mens t-s are a staple in my wardrobe. I wear plaid cotton paints when lounging around the house. I also have an array of PJs (bottoms and button up tops) that I wear all the freggin time. They keep me vintage, and oh so cozy :)

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm like lizziemaine and jump right into my jammies for TCM and tea. If it's a saturday and I'm cleaning and such I have an old pair of linen drawstring pants I wear with tank undershirts I picked up on the cheap at Target. I'd love to get more Negligees, but I'm usually sewing/doing something and I'm afraid I'd put strain on one of the vintage ones. Guess it's all the more reason to have girlfriends over for movies!

Rosie

One Too Many
When home what I wear depends on my mood and my tasks at hand. I'f I'm cleaning, mopping floors, dusting, I'll wear a pair of yoga pants and t-shirt. When the weather calls for it, I'll throw on a hoodie. I'm one of those gals who loves to be barefoot but, I'm breaking myself of that habit and have purchased some proper house slippers. If I'm sewing or just lounging around, I have recently acquired some vintage house dresses and, I stole some of my mom's older housedresses. For bedtime, I almost always wear a nightgown, peignoir set or silky jammies. Every so often, if I feel chilly and am too lazy to go turn up the thermostat, I'll throw on my hoodie and yoga pants.

Sunny

One Too Many
Ooh, I'm starting to get some ideas here.

LizzieMaine said:
Well, I actually have to wear a girdle most of the time for functional reasons -- I have a degenerative disc problem, and I need the support to prevent nasty attacks of sciatica. So most of the time I do have a girdle on -- I've got several different kinds, though, and if I know I'm not going to be doing much straining, I'll wear a lightweight one.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense! There are definitely days when I'd like to wear my 1860s corset. The back support is terrific, and the bottom-up bosom support is wonderful for the better-endowed. :p Unfortunately, corsets aren't tee or sweater friendly!

Avalon, that is such a cute Jean Harlow picture! Daisy, I think you've put your finger on what I need to work out. I need to decide what kind of lounge wear I want, and then make sure I have appropriate and coordinating pieces. Right now it's not only hit or miss, it's incomplete. I've come up with some very weird combinations out of necessity.

I'm getting ideas about slipper socks and cute slippers, too. Unforunately I can't stand mules. I think I've heard of Acorn slippers; I think I'll look into that. For that matter, I can't stand most shoes that aren't secure on my feet. Slippers are a slight exception, but I really want them to grip my heels. Completely personal thing.

Redlights, aprons are great! Sounds like a terrific solution for you. What's a bungalow apron?

I had another thought. What are housecoats? How are they worn, what materials are used? I'm theorizing that they're a holdover of the old-fashioned wrapper. Are they always floor-length, like on the pattern pictures?

Rosie

One Too Many
I have a few housecoats and dressing gowns. Some are zippered, some have buttons. Some are floor length and some are about mid calf though I think they can be higher if you like. They are kind of robe-ish but don't usually tie and are a bit more structured. My slippers are more like an idoor shoe, my mom says walking around barefoot can cause a gal's feet to spread and I really didn't want to experience that. :eek: Admittedly, my favorite dressing gown in from the '70s, but, it's comfy and goes well on the days when I wear my Nina Simone headwrap about the house.

Rosie

One Too Many
Avalon said:
I have to admit, I'm another of those track suit ladies. :rolleyes: Though lately I've been wearing white or black palazzo pants under a tunic shirt - my version of the dress-and-lounge slacks combo in my favorite pic of Jean Harlow:

jeanxm5.png

What I'd really love is a set of beach pajamas! :)

I like this idea. I think I'll begin doing that too. Thanks!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Right after work I like to throw on an apron right over my suit so that I can get cracking on dinner....plus it gives my husband a chuckle to see me in business suit, heels and an apron...

After dinner is on its way, I'll scoot upstairs and put on (yes) a track suit, which I wear until the kiddos are out of the tub and then I workout on alternate nights.

After workout, I shower or take a hot soak, then into a satin slip and my fluffy turkish robe. I've got a pattern for a hostess gown-- I have a floral picque which would make a nice summer gown, maybe I'll keep an eye open for a nice brushed flannel for a winter one. Love the lounging pjs too!

Honey Doll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo