Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've inherited a 50's house...I mean ALL of it!

Weston

A-List Customer
Hi there. I don't have any pictures, because well, where to start? My Grandmother (who never threw anything away) passed away in 2005, followed by my father in 2006. He had moved all of her possessions into the garage, rehabbing the house from it's 1940's look, and made quite the improvements to it. Unfortunately, he died before moving back in. I went and this is what I found...

Entire house of 1955 era Ethan Allen furniture (Baumritter)...2 beds, 3-4 chests of drawers and a special ordered vanity with mirror.

1959 Kirby Vacuum in perfect working order (lost some parts though)
Set of green Russell Wright dishes for 4-5 people including pitchers etc
WWII medal, knife, dog tags, orders, qualifications and much paperwork
Discharge papers from WWI
Hundreds of photos from 40s-80's
My father's toys
Record cabinet plus dozens of records
Every letter sent to and from my Grandparents from 50's-60s
Dad's Hopalong Cassidy Watch
Numerous clocks, including a really nice desktop model from 40s?
1950's phonebook
Family Bible (from Grandma's wedding in 45)
Original receipt from setting up their phone in 49.
AAF Insignia from uniform
TONS of paperwork - business cards, etc.
Invite to Graduation and Football Letter from Granddad (1937)
Milk glass
Brass candleholders, etc.
Copper EVERYTHING

and much more! I can't even begin to describe it all. I couldn't keep everything, but what you see here I have now. I even found a Hoover Steam/Dry iron mint with it's box in the garage with cloth cord!

The only tragedy is the clothing was poorly stored...so all the 40's & 50's clothes were moth eaten and destroyed. She literally kept ALL her clothes and shoes from back then till she died. All we could save were some fur hats and a 50's overcoat my wife now wears. There were dozens of hats, some I may offer here, but they appear 60s-70's as the nice 40's and 50's ones were crunchy to the touch from heat and cold destroying them over 50 years.

Any requests? I'll try to show a display case I put together from stuff soon...

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a wonderful gift

How bittersweet it must be for you to have such a wonderful present from your family.

I'd love to see pictures of the grouping of items and of course, the women's hats.

Please please put your photos and important historical papers in some type of acid-free box or storage to try and preserve your family's legacy. Oftentimes, persons forget to store these precious items until it is too late.

May you enjoy your items for years to come.

Vintage Betty

Story

I'll Lock Up
Is there an attic or basement?

Once upon a time, i got lured into helping whitewash the attic gables of a rowhome in Bridesburg.

Between the rafters were:

A full set of Baldwin "Mikado" locomotive blueprints

Passenger ticket books for a Russian Czarist era liner

Lineoleum sample books from the 1920

and other detrius of lives past

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy