Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J&M Aristocraft from yard sale

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Just wondering,
I picked up some black "saddle" style Aristocraft shoes in my size today at a yard sale. Made in USA. For $5 I couldn't pass them up, but can't find much info about them other than once upon a time Aristocraft was great, and recent ones not so much. It looks like they discontinued the Aristocraft line sometime.

Anyone know how to estimate date, etc?

This is the stamp in the heel interior... (pulled from online, not a pic of mine)
__57.jpg

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Just wondering,
I picked up some black "saddle" style Aristocraft shoes in my size today at a yard sale. Made in USA. For $5 I couldn't pass them up, but can't find much info about them other than once upon a time Aristocraft was great, and recent ones not so much. It looks like they discontinued the Aristocraft line sometime.

Anyone know how to estimate date, etc?

This is the stamp in the heel interior... (pulled from online, not a pic of mine)
View attachment 20285

You can have more input on dating the shoes if you show the entire shoe,,,top shot, soles heels....I am sure someone will "pipe" in on a date...hard to tell from just the picture of the brand stamp inside....
If you only paid five for the shoes..you more than likely got one heck of a deal.....

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Here you go. It looks to me like modern USA made J&M start at over $300, so for $5 I'm not complaining. Just curious.

Also curious what others thoughts are on J&M recrafting. I see they offer a fairly comprehensive service for about $90... so for about $95 I could have like-new $350+ shoes. Not a bad deal.

Of course right now I've got only very slightly worn $350 shoes for $5..

20141116_100828.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1416150699483.jpg

Last edited:

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
and are 80's or 90's aristocrafts considered to be pretty good, or just ho-hum? I read quite a bit saying they cheapened up in later years, but never much on when that started to occur. Also, I saw something somewhere about "crown" aristocrafts... would they say that if they were, or is that indicated by the crown held up by lions in the stamp?

Attachments

• 20141118_213906_resized.jpg
    20141118_213906_resized.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 20141118_213924_resized.jpg
    20141118_213924_resized.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Nothing wrong with them - especially at $5. That is the last of the US made jobs. Stick a Topy on and case closed for years of walking around.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Yes, AE is my standard, I have 3 pairs of AE, as well as some Indian made J&M (leather sole). I keep reading something about a "trampoline" sole.. What the heck is that?

They do seem to be well made, and smooth leather. My only quibble is that they are a smidgen big, though AE are big for me too. My measurement per those metal things the shoe stores have is 9.5D, and that holds true in most shoes, but AE I have 8.5EE and 8EEE that both fit very nicely. 9.5D felt like clown shoes.

These Aristocrafts are perfect with some thick socks, but a bit floppy with thin dress socks. This will be a nice feature during the cold months!

Any experience around here with J&M recrafting service though?!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes, AE is my standard, I have 3 pairs of AE, as well as some Indian made J&M (leather sole). I keep reading something about a "trampoline" sole.. What the heck is that?

They do seem to be well made, and smooth leather. My only quibble is that they are a smidgen big, though AE are big for me too. My measurement per those metal things the shoe stores have is 9.5D, and that holds true in most shoes, but AE I have 8.5EE and 8EEE that both fit very nicely. 9.5D felt like clown shoes.

These Aristocrafts are perfect with some thick socks, but a bit floppy with thin dress socks. This will be a nice feature during the cold months!

Not an expert on shoe makers that do their own recrafting...but check with them. They may or may not do work on each and every model shoe they make.

You got a steal for what you paid for them. I am sure for that kind of money some shoes for sale at the price you could see your socks on your toes coming out the front of the shoe....so yes indeed you hit a home run.

In all fairness to that brand shoe....it is not something floating around as common as some other brands. I say this as I am a shoe hunter. I look for shoes all the time, seven days a week. The few times I have seen the brand, they have appeared to be nice well made shoes...but nothing in a size we could use so I have not yet purchased a pair yet.

I agree that those are probably a much better shoe that the modern AE as made mention. If you pick up any older AE and compare them to what they make now....you'd see they are just a bit light weight and seriously you can tell the quality difference right away. I think everything from the cork they use in the bottoms of the shoes, leather, and even what glue they use, it is all just a cheaper less expensive all around made shoe.

We have one pair of modern AE and a few fairly vintage pair. One pair from late 1950's. The new modern shoe....feels like it was made out of paper towels compaired to the vintage ones. The modern shoes are going to be used for target practice....BOOM! LOL!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
If you keep finding some decent NON AE shoes...you will not go back to them. Many years ago my Husband would buy tons of those Cole Haan brand shoes...and you know they get cheaper by the year...but even the ones he had back then were just lightweight junk. Those shoes you have for the $5.00 are KILLER compared to most anything modern.....you have to go into some higher priced shoes to get that good new.Oh yes...what size do you wear? I ask as I am always looking and if I can recall a size someone wears maybe I can help you find another great deal!

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
For the uninitiated shoe aficionado's what is "better" about these older shoes? At least between the J&M and the AE I have, the AE still seem visibly better and are more comfortable (though buying the J&M used, and as such the cork lining is probably molded to the previous owners foot).

Size is so tricky, and one of my major annoyances. I measure a 9.5D, but AE 9.5D fit me like clown shoes. I have an 8.5EE that fits like it was made for me, and an 8EEE that fits almost as well. These J&M 9.5D are bigger than I'd like, they fit with thick athletic socks, but not the typical thin dress socks.

Then my Pronto Uomo (men's wearhouse, made in Italy) are 9.5D and a bit snug if anything. My 9.5D Lucchese Classic cowboy boots are like a custom fit also.... so it's all over the place and also why I'm always hesitant to get things online.

Of course $5 for what I knew to be $300+ shoes I was willing to take the chance!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

why recraft? what do you want to have done specifically?

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
My understanding is these have the cork footboard that molds itself to your foot over time. As I'm not the original owner, it would seem they are molded to the previous owner's foot.

Or do these things re-mold themselves? My two cork footbed AE are about the only shoes I've had that I can literally wear all day and be OK. I'd like to get these to a similar level of comfort.

Basically just to return them to "like new" so that I can start fresh breaking them in to me, not the PO.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
My understanding is these have the cork footboard that molds itself to your foot over time. As I'm not the original owner, it would seem they are molded to the previous owner's foot.

Or do these things re-mold themselves? My two cork footbed AE are about the only shoes I've had that I can literally wear all day and be OK. I'd like to get these to a similar level of comfort.

Basically just to return them to "like new" so that I can start fresh breaking them in to me, not the PO.

If you can feel the impression on the footbed, a recraft will remedy that. Keep in mind that the cost may well make it more cost effective to just get a new pair of shoes on ebay. $125 + shipping. If you love the shoes, go for it.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J&M have a repair section on their main website, and they give their prices for different kinds of work. They also say that they only work on specific types of shoes, but don't go into details. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to call them. I recently paid $65.00 for a simple heels-and-soles job at my local shoemaker and was shocked at the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran