Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket too small?

pgoat

One Too Many
I'm feeling much better about keeping it now - that's how I was leaning but since even with the sale it wasn't a cheap jacket by any means, I wanted to get some opinions. Any other thoughts are welcome.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, pgoat. I dunno, but it doesn't sound comfortable to me. When you speak of the 44 above, I can almost hear the "Ahhh." This style of jacket, along with the Levi's denim one, is made for a young guy and not one who swears he's going to drop 30 lbs. at some point in the future. It's a beautiful jacket and looks good, but imagine how much nicer it'd be if you actually felt comfortable in it. My two cents is to either spend a bit more on an Aero and get it fitted by Thurston or to talk to the folks at Johnson Leathers in S.F. I hate to be a wet blanket, but a number of us here have had jackets that were too small and, in almost all cases, have eventually moved them on. Anyway, good luck whatever you do.

pgoat

One Too Many
No apologies, I appreciate the honest opinions!

The only uncomfortable area is the armpit/lower front of the shoulders. Yep, a little tight on the gut when zipped at present, but I'm training for a half marathon in the spring, so that will almost surely be addressed (how long I can keep the gut off is another story!). But shoulders are usually the determining factor in a jacket's fit, which is why I'm questioning this one... If it's just a matter of weight, I'm actually not so worried.

pgoat

One Too Many
Here's a few more images, trying to show the bulging of the gussets at the rear of the shoulders, and some pulling/tight fabric at the front of the armpit area. One other thing I noticed is that it's tough for me to get my hands to the side slash pockets, due to the snugness at the armpits...that's not a good sign.

DSC07948%20-%20Copy_zpskm0iv6mb.jpg

DSC07946%20-%20Copy_zpsx2g4gend.jpg

DSC07943%20-%20Copy_zpsoqylmfwa.jpg

DSC07941%20-%20Copy_zpsvoeaqw1s.jpg

DSC07940_zpslfvezqdc.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I wouldn't go by the side pockets in a Schott...myself, I'd have to go up three sizes and be swimming in a 618 to do that.

pgoat

One Too Many
Thanks Edward - fwiw in my case that was with the jacket zipped - unzipped I can get to the pockets ok.

Good news is , I am already losing weight from all the running...just can only lose so much before the deadline for returning...

pgoat

One Too Many
Well, the "return" deadline came and went...and the jacket is hanging in my closet now.

I'd hoped to have lost enough weight to wear it last weekend and ring in 2017 in style, but while I'm slimming a little already from running, I'm not quite there yet. The shoulder vents don't puff out as much now and there's a bit less pulling at the shoulders and armpits.

It felt really good to sense a bit more room when trying it on...and even better to finally hang it next to my other coats and feel like it's mine.

I've got races of increasing distance marked on my calendar. If I make it all the way to a half-marathon in May, I think that coat's gonna fit just fine.

Thanks for the encouraging feedback, everyone. And all the best in the new year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland