Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Bond's hat(s)?

Jovan

Suspended
As some of you may know, I'm a big James Bond fan. So I apologize if this has been asked, but do any of you know who made and what type of hat Connery wore in the first few films? I distinctly remember a sort of black or dark brown one (perhaps both?) with smallish brim that he always tossed onto the hat rack in Ms. Moneypenny's office. He also wore it for the helicopter sequence in From Russia With Love as well as in the opening gun barrel sequence (which was actually a stuntman doubling for him).

Again, I apologize if this has been brought up, but frankly the search feature on here is a bit limited to say the least!

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Sorry I'm no help

Like you I'm a Bond fan and I wish I did know about his hat. I to like always liked the way he tossed his hat on the rack, even though I can't do myselflol

epic610

One of the Regulars
once it was a homburg...

that he flung on the hatrack. a dark blue one. i forget the title but it was the one where he had to trade in his baretta for a walther ppk. just on cable last week.

Bogie

One of the Regulars
The Bond film you are referring to, unless I am greiviously mistaken Epic610, is Doctor No. The first Bond film ever, and one of my personal favourites still.

Despite my status as a Bond fanatic, I can offer no real evidence as to what sort of hat Bond had. However, I always did have an attachment for Oddjob's steel brimmed hat, just so if anyone gave me a rotten comment, about my choice of vintage clothing, I would have a rather "decapitating" statement I could always make in return. ;)

Bogie said:
However, I always did have an attachment for Oddjob's steel brimmed hat, just so if anyone gave me a rotten comment, about my choice of vintage clothing, I would have a rather "decapitating" statement I could always make in return. ;)

I always wanted the speargun from Thunderball for confrontations, just to make sure the other guy "...got the point."lol

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's a trilby -- a small imension fedora.
img_45410d9f65a45.jpg

Lock hatter and Herbert Johnson still have them available.

sandown.jpg

Pretty common style in the UK in the late 50's and through the 60's... still a mainstay at the tracks in the UK.

I myself prefer bigger dimentions when it comes to headwear... I need the shade.

Jovan

Suspended
Thank you very much. Unfortunately, that price is way beyond my limit. :-/

Ironically Roger Moore was author Ian Fleming's original choice for Bond, but he was committed to his British TV series, "The Saint". (And it ended up taking him almost twenty years for him to get his chance!)
That's incorrect. David Niven was his original choice, and The Saint didn't start until a few months before Dr. No premiered.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
IMHO Connery is still the best 007, even including the actors from the 80's and 90's. (This coming from a gal that had a preteen crush on Remington Steele).
Sorry, no info of the hats.

Jovan

Suspended
Well, I'm not necessarily going to BUY it now, just want some information should I decide to get one in the future. A smaller hat could turn out to be useful someday.

Jovan

Suspended
I'm not talking about Bond in the books, however. :) But I'm sure the diehard fans cursed and spat at the projector when Sean Connery's doppelganger (stunt coordinator Bob Simmons) walked onto the screen wearing a hat in 1962.

dr greg

One Too Many
the original

I wonder, and let me say first that I reckon DC is the best Bond since Dalton, why they don't do a period Bond film instead of constantly updating the character and stories to contemporary situations, OK I know the old ones were exactly that, but still, with their budget, a vintage Bond film made today would be somethin special???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran