Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jane Monheit--New CD (sort of)

LuckyLighter

Familiar Face
I'm kind of new to Jane Monheit's music. I worked with a guy at Border Books and Music who was a huge fan way before she really made it big, and he tried to get me to listen to her, but I never got a chance.

Then I heard her rendition of "Over the Rainbow" on the Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow soundtrack, and I was intrigued.

So I bought her newest CD "Taking a Chance on Love." Not only is she easy on the eyes, she has a gorgeous voice as well. She does a rendition of "In the Still of the Night" that gave me goosebumps listening to it. As soon as her vocals came on, my heart skipped a beat, it was that lush and beautiful and intoxicating.

Given that she is a jazz vocalist, I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who are fans, and I'd like to hear their impressions of not only this CD, but also Jane in general.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best album I have bought this year; probably in several years.

Rafter

Suspended
LuckyLighter said:
I'm kind of new to Jane Monheit's music. I bought her newest CD "Taking a Chance on Love." Not only is she easy on the eyes, she has a gorgeous voice as well.
I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who are fans, and I'd like to hear their impressions of not only this CD, but also Jane in general.
Jane Monheit is a sophisticated bombshell of a performer with a voice that is, like her appearance, voluptuous and flawlessly pretty.

The CD you bought "Taking A Chance On Love" is not Monheit's newest! It was released in 2004. Her latest is called "Surrender" and was just released this May.

Jane.jpg

Surrender is a ballads-heavy album that features a mix of jazz standards, reworked pop tunes, and several bossa nova numbers. She nearly destroys two Sergio Mendes songs. Lani Hall, Herb Alpert's wife did the original vocal leads on "So Many Stars" and "Like A Lover" from the classic Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 album "Look Around". I have the LP and it is one of my all-time favs.
Nobody, not even Jane can come near Lani Hall's haunting renditions of those two songs.
My suggestion to Jane is to stick to singing Jazz Standards.....and never go near a song that Lani Hall recorded!

RedPop4

One Too Many
Jane Monheit's version of "As Time Goes By" with Wynton Marsalis and Mark O'Connor is simply sublime. The counterpoint and harmonies between O'Connor and Marsalis is quite lovely and moving.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rafter said:
Surrender is a ballads-heavy album that features a mix of jazz standards, reworked pop tunes, and several bossa nova numbers. She nearly destroys two Sergio Mendes songs. Lani Hall, Herb Alpert's wife did the original vocal leads on "So Many Stars" and "Like A Lover" from the classic Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 album "Look Around". I have the LP and it is one of my all-time favs.
Nobody, not even Jane can come near Lani Hall's haunting renditions of those two songs.
My suggestion to Jane is to stick to singing Jazz Standards.....and never go near a song that Lani Hall recorded!

So, since she does fine on the ballads and standards, as far as the album's problem goes, we can "Blame it on the Bossa Nova"? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou