Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Surrender in World War II

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vcnH_kF1zXc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vcnH_kF1zXc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The Canadian signatory accidentally signed on the wrong line on the first copy. On board the Missouri, there's a photo of him being shown the correct line to sign on the second copy. He was apparently quite nervous!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wasn't there at story relating to the table they used? The original desk they wanted to use they couldn't get on deck, so they used a couple tables from the mess hall with big green pieces of cloth, or something. That is a totally garbled version of what happened, but it was something like that.

Jabos

A-List Customer
I saw a show on this I think. It was a somewhat unsteady mess hall table, and after they put the table back. As I recall, someone then realized, "Hey, we should keep that table" and it is saved but they aren't sure if it is the exact table. That is my memory of the story.

storman113

Familiar Face
This thread reminded me of a newspaper I have hanging in the hall. Found when cleaning out my mom's place.

Peace.jpg

Don't what happened, I didn't save it sideways!

cooncatbob

Practically Family
They should have signed the surrender on the deck of the Enterprise, the most decorated ship in the war.
The Missouri's got a place of honor at Pearl Harbor, the Enterprise got cut up for scrap except for 1 of her portholes that was used on CVN 65.

Edit. Enterprise took her last damage of the war off Okinowa and was in Puget Sound for repairs on
VJ Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CV-6)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The only upside to the scrapping of the most decorated ship in the history of the US Navy is that somehow the name Enterprise seems to have taken on a mystique that's remarkable. Don't know if that would have happened if it was a static museum in San Diego or Newport or Honolulu.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Surrender Ship

An even better ship to represent the might of the U.S. would have been the USS West Virginia. The Wee Vee was the last battleship to be rased from the bottom of Pearl Harbour, and put back into service! She to was scraped, along with her two sisters, Colorado Colo Maru and Maryland Fighting Mary!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
cooncatbob said:
The CVN 65 Enterprise is due to be retired and there are no plans to name the next carrier Enterprise.
http://ussntrprs.epetitions.net/
Sadly, that will probably do no good! Now they are naming carriers after Presidents, not famous Revolutionary battles, and ships! My favorite, was the USS COWPENS (CVL 25), The Mighty Moo! Probably the next carrier will be the USS George W. Bush.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
A race to the flag in Tokyo!

My Grandfather served in the Pacific with the Royal Navy on board the destroyer HMS Quality in the latter years of the war and was anchored alongside the Missouri during the signing.

After a gruelling war they had been heading to Sydney for the celebrations when they were briskly turned around, scrubbed up and sent back to Japan.

My GF says no-one on board understood why they had been selected for the 'honour' until the moments immediately after the signing.

The British representatives piled off the Missouri and were ferried quickly across to the Quality which had a particularly shallow draft. They then left the fleet, raced up the Tokyo canal and hoisted a Union Jack over the British embassy before the yanks were on the ground.

Cheeky!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy