Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jazz and cocktails in NYC?

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
Hey everyone! New to the forum and looking for a few places in Gotham to hang out and enjoy good drinks and music. Have a few places I've found, but always looking for more!

Sorry, you can't have both in NY, Woody. Too much to ask for. Employees Only has great cocktails and atmosphere, and though occassionally you may hear some good music, it's mostly nondescript rock/techno/funk. Too bad.

The Dove on Thompson has good cocktails and pleasant atmosphere - it's like a Victorian sitting room - and the music during happy hour is actually good - 20s/30s jazz mostly. But after eight they switch to nondescript rock/techno/funk.

Even all the hotel bars are playing that nondescript rock/techno/funk nowadays. Campbell Apartments does stick to swing/jazz standards, but the cocktails are high-priced and of mediocre quality and you have to deal with a lot of guys in American Trad.

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
I figured it was too good to be true. I have been to EO and really enjoyed, also the Flatiron Lounge. Have heard of the Campbell but haven't been yet. Have heard a few things about a place in the east village called Angel's Share. Not vintage but all about drinks served the way the were meant to be served.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Just walk up and down the Upper East side on either 1st or 2nd avenues, between about 48th and 60th street. My info is dated but that's where all the action was. The original TGI FRiday's was there too, before it became the franchise abomination that it is today. Maxwell's Plum was also located there. Lot's of nice dames used to hang out there. Some other place called the Apple Tree or maybe it was called Adam's Apple, dancing, drinks, etc.

Cheers,

M8

I walked into Angel's Share once and walked out. Hipster crowd. Not for me. I alternately hear that the cocktails are great and stink. I can't be bothered. There's a place called Milk & Honey that's supposed to serve great cocktails, but you have to make a reservation. Again, I wouldn't trust the raves of the patrons. How many people really know how to make a cocktail these days?

I like sitting at the bar at Swing 46 once in a while. All right, so you pay ten,twelve bucks to get in, but you'll get an average cocktail with great atmosphere and music.

I have to back to Beekman Tower for a drink. Had a fair Sidecar up there and there was a grand piano but no pianist. Not on on the night I went. Could be worth another trip. Spectacular view.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Has anyone been to the Blue Note recently? I used to spend quite a lot of time there with my ex, but it has been some years since I've gone back...

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the heads up on Angel's Share, and haven't been to Swing 46 but again, its on the list of places to hit. Maybe sooner rather than later. Thanks for all the help.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Brooklyn

I live near 5th Ave in Brooklyn, and last Saturday night I was sort of at loose ends and hungry. So I sauntered down the street to find food. I stumbled into one of the many many many great eateries on that stretch, named Biscuit Barbecue. Nice little place with a jazz room in back. Bottom line: I had a couple of beers (I'm sure you can get a good mixed drink there, too) some good food (try the smashed potatoes) and heard some good jazz. They had a little combo of students from the New School's Jazz music school, including a wonderful singer from Slovenia, of all places. Her name is Katja Sulc (pronounced like Schultz). Brooklyn, especially 5th Ave and Smith St, is loaded with places like this.

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info on the place in Brooklyn. I haven't been out there much, as I'm pretty new to the city, but have been meaning to get out there and explore. WIll definitely add it to the must do list.

Rafter

Suspended
Last week I saw the swingin', still cool, and jivin' Keely Smith
at the "staid" Cafe Carlyle.

t_19502.jpg

Showbiz longevity has its perks. Whoever has the good luck to remain the last one standing gets to tell the uncensored version of what life was really like in the imperial playground.

As the golden age of Las Vegas recedes into the gin-scented mists of Rat Pack lore, that eternal tomboy Keely Smith, now 79, is the last one left standing.

Keely's voice remains in reasonably good shape. The evening’s strongest performance was a quiet medley of “When Day Is Done” and “When Your Lover Has Gone.” The band, not the singer, pumped most of the excitement into Prima signature songs like “Jump, Jive and Wail” and “Just a Gigolo.”

t_19501.jpg

BTW I have her last two CD's and they are outstanding.

Rafter

Suspended
Senator Jack said:
I'm planning on going to see her, Rafter. The place is so damn expensive though. May I ask around how much the night ran?
Senator Jack, Her gig there ends "today"....and expensive is an understatement.
Would never go to a place like that. But being such a big fan of Louis Prima and the "rat packers", made it worth every penny spent.
FYI- The total tab including the cover charge was well over $200 for me and my gal.

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
Sorry I missed the Keely Smith show at the Carlyle. They get some really great performers there. I have seen Dixie Carter (years ago, great show) and Eartha Kitt last year. Wish I could go more often, but since I think I am still paying off the Eartha show...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to The Lounge Woody. Nice to see another Northeasterner joining us!:)
I don't live in New York (but technically I am a New Yorker), but in my experience I really enjoy Campbell Apartments. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents in on that, wish I could be more helpful:( Now if you were to come to Boston I'd be more than happy to tell you or even show you the hot spots around here with a vintage vibe to them. But, I guess those kind of suggestions don't really help you with your current situation. Oh well!! Welcome to the Lounge! It really is a great place:D

Here, play some good music on your computer and allow me to buy you your first drink.:beer: See, you don't need to find an "actual" bar to go to. You've got The Fedora Lounge! The best lounge in town!!
:cheers1:
Daisy

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
Here, play some good music on your computer and allow me to buy you your first drink.:beer: See, you don't need to find an "actual" bar to go to. You've got The Fedora Lounge! The best lounge in town!!
:cheers1:
Daisy

and if one sits about drinking while reading and writing...its -almost- as good as the real thing....

Just stay away from the soap opera threads.....at least while tipsy...

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the drink Daisy! Being a new Northeasterner as well, Boston is on my list of places to visit. I'll look you up when I get there.

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
I went to 2 really great spots tonight, although neither of them wholly vintage unless you count the fact that the first incarnation of one was in the 30's. Started out with friends at 230 Fifth, the address as well as the name. HUGE rooftop bar in the shadow of the Empire State Building, which affords you great views of some amazing Art Deco architecture. On to the Monkey Bar, 54 and Park, originally opened in the 1930's. Still has the original monkey paintings, small very nice bar, but has been updated, unfortunately. Stiii in all, two very nice places for a drink and good conversation.

GateXC

One of the Regulars
The Brandy Library (in Tribeca) perfectly fits all of your requirements.

They only play jazz, serves perfectly made (though expensive) cocktails, the best scotch/brandy/cognac selection you'll ever see, and has the requisite atmosphere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo