Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans - help please

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Jeans and shrinkage

To avoid any shrinkage, never dry your jeans in the dryer. Always hang them up to dry. And, you can stretch (believe it or not) your jeans to make them longer. Being that I have a 34-35 inch inseam, jeans have always given me trouble. When they are wet from the washer, hold the legs in your hands and put your foot in the crotch and pull. This isn't a test of strength, just a firm but gentle tugging. Wet denim will give about an inch or two. It's really amazing. I then fold them in half, legs together and then put my foot on the bottom of the pant leg and pull at the waist. I do this on both legs. You can even work alittle more room in the waist by zipping them and pulling at the sides of the waist band. Then, just hang them up to dry.
I wear mostly painters pant type jeans and the waist will tighten up alittle to much if I dry them in the dryer. I've been using the stretch technique for years. Next time you wash any jeans, give it a try and see what happens and let me know.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
The waist in jeans always stretches out too much for me over time, so I have to put them in the dryer to shrink them up again!

But you can also stretch the waist in jeans in a similar way to stretching the inseam. I bought a pair of high-waisted Wranglers from the 50's that were just a little bit too tight in the waist. I could get in them, but it sure wasn't comfy. So I just got the waistband and seat area soaked, slipped them on and let them dry on me.

Not the the most comfortable experience, but after that they fit just perfectly!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
The waist in jeans always stretches out too much for me over time, so I have to put them in the dryer to shrink them up again!

But you can also stretch the waist in jeans in a similar way to stretching the inseam. I bought a pair of high-waisted Wranglers from the 50's that were just a little bit too tight in the waist. I could get in them, but it sure wasn't comfy. So I just got the waistband and seat area soaked, slipped them on and let them dry on me.

Not the the most comfortable experience, but after that they fit just perfectly!

Wet denim has to as bad, if not worse than a wet bathing suit.

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:

I have the same problem with my jeans. I always have to throw them in the dryer because they stretch out way too much. I'm constantly pulling them up. I hate the feeling of wet jeans!!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I really want to buy some jeans from "makeyourownjeans.com", but I am wondering about the fit. I like really loose fit in the legs, like sailor pants. Which fit should I choose? I am thinking the "classic comfy fit." Or the "straigth"? Or the "baggy"? AArgh, it's really annoying that they don't show pictures of the fits offered.

I anybody has any experience with this jeans, (or knowlegde/opinions about fits,) I'd be more than happy to hear it!

Blondie

Practically Family
I ordered a pair of Queen of Heartz "side zip" jeans and when they turned up they were "back zip".............i believe she has now changed the description on her website.
I know quite a few gals were dissapointed by the back zip jeans, she won't refund your money either. :mad:

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Grnidwitch said:
You might try Levi's and look at the mens styles. Keep in mind, mens's jeans are cut with a shorter rise, even if the are to fit at the waist and there is no hip room cut into them. I like the 560's. The fit snug in the tummy area and are loose through the hip and tigh. To find your size in men's jeans, take your women's size and add 20 to it. That will give you a starting point. So, I take a 12-14 in womens, so I start at 32 waist. I don't know if this formula will work with UK sizing.
Grnidwitch, Thank you very much!That's a great idea!

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Hooray!

I managed to get my wide leg jeans on for our holiday and followed the stretching advice given earlier. I haven't worn them for at least 5 years and they are practically brand new!!!!!!!!! :eusa_clap :) I have posted my picture wearing them on myspace but hubby didnt do a full-length picture - sorry :rage:

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I know this is an old thread but I just thought I'd mention that I found some great looking authentic jeans in the UK. The site is www.freddiesofpinewood.co.uk but I got mine from their Ebay shop. They have a side zip and are made to order with different hem sizes if you prefer (I ordered the 8" hem.) I should be receiving them soon so will let you guys know how they fit!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I've got some of those, SL! The only problem is, I really have to yank mine over my hips, it takes me about 4 times longer to use the ladies room! But they look great on.

It's good to know they do refunds and exchanges, just in case I have that problem. Shame though as they do look really nice! Did you get the 8" or 10" hem?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
SarahLouise said:
It's good to know they do refunds and exchanges, just in case I have that problem. Shame though as they do look really nice! Did you get the 8" or 10" hem?

I got the 10" as I have some from Queen of Heartz that are a bit thinner. They are cute in the 10", I have a feeling they look a bit 70s though. Not that I care, I like them anyway!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
My pair arrived yesterday and I love them! I see what you mean about the hips but it's not as bad as I expected. I really like the fit and cut. I'm tempted to get another pair soon as a back-up ;) So yes, anybody looking for some decent repro jeans, I really recommend these.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
SarahLouise said:
I know this is an old thread but I just thought I'd mention that I found some great looking authentic jeans in the UK. The site is www.freddiesofpinewood.co.uk but I got mine from their Ebay shop. They have a side zip and are made to order with different hem sizes if you prefer (I ordered the 8" hem.) I should be receiving them soon so will let you guys know how they fit!

Those are really cute. They look like theyed be very flattering. I have big hips though so I am worried they'd give me trouble.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley