Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeremy Brett's "Holmes" top hat-How Tall?

Boodles

A-List Customer
I'll have to look again to guess at the height.

I'm thinking that you may be right about it being a 6" or so topper.

While we're at it, I really like many of the suits worn by Edward Hardwicke. I also admire the bowlers he sometimes wears, especially the brown ones. It's the more rounded version.

filfoster

One Too Many
Suits and toppers

Boodles said:
I'm thinking that you may be right about it being a 6" or so topper.

While we're at it, I really like many of the suits worn by Edward Hardwicke. I also admire the bowlers he sometimes wears, especially the brown ones. It's the more rounded version.

I agree Hardwicke's suits are nice. I am not so keen on the Norfolk suits they kit up in to go out of town, but there are many of the episodes where Watson and Holmes are both in gray tweed suits. The bowlers are not so hard to come by, the toppers more so. I hope we get an answer on the crown height.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
It looks like a "regular size" top hat to me. I noticed his brim's real flat. I was an undertaker for a few years, I've seen hundreds. I got a few, including a short one and an opera hat, I'll measure up. Been a Sherlockian since the Jeremy Brett series first showed, never mastered the art of deduction.

http://www.silktophats.eu/historytophat.html

filfoster

One Too Many
The Game's Afoot!

Mysterious Mose said:
It looks like a "regular size" top hat to me. I noticed his brim's real flat. I was an undertaker for a few years, I've seen hundreds. I got a few, including a short one and a clacque, I'll measure up. Been a Sherlockian since the Jeremy Brett series first showed, never mastered the art of deduction.

Mysterious Mose: We are counting on you!

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
The measurements in the link I posted are pretty accurate.

My funeral felt shorty is 4.5, 1.5 brim, 1 inch band.
My Opera's 5, 2, 1 inch band
My granddad's high silk and another one I got from a retired pallbearer, both from the Interbellum, British Make, 5.5, 2, 1 3/4 inch band. I'd call these 'regular'. Brett's looks slightly taller than these. I think a 6 inch hat should be pretty accurate.
All mine have the curved brim, unlike Brett's. It looks flat.[huh]
holmes12.jpg

In a book I have by Michael Harrison, 'In the footsteps of S.H.' there's a paragraph on Holmes' outfits and where he'd got them from, sadly there's nothing about hats/hatters. Nothing in the S.H. ultimate encyclopedia either. I'll keep searching. M.M.

P.S. Cool: His father forbade him from using the family name on stage because he thought acting was a "dubious" profession. So Jeremy (Huggins) took his stage name from the label of his first suit, "Brett & Co."

filfoster

One Too Many
Size Wise

Mysterious Mose: Thanks! I will also keep searching and perhaps someone acquainted with the production or costuming may post.
I have a 7, 6 and 5.5. The 5.5 looks OK but I agree the 6" looks most accurate.

For anyone wandering into this thread at this post, we are talking top hat crown heights, not anything naughty.

Boodles

A-List Customer
MM is all over this issue.

My hat is off to you sir. The photo that MM has posted clearly shows that Mr "Brett" wears this topper a bit high on his head and so it sort of looks taller than it actually is. I'm signing onto the 6" camp.

Although I have many of the DVDs of Basil Rathbone I think I have about every one of Mr. Bretts'. He is, without a doubt, my favorite TV watching. TV for me gets no better than the occasional weekend night, home alone, a brick of good cheese, good "biscuits", good whiskey or whisky, and a couple issues of "Sheer-luck" on the tube.

I absolutely love the Norfolk suits. I enjoy the luxury of being ignorant of when a Norfolk suit is appropriate. Please don't ruin it for me.

filfoster

One Too Many
Monkey see-

Boodles said:
My hat is off to you sir. The photo that MM has posted clearly shows that Mr "Brett" wears this topper a bit high on his head and so it sort of looks taller than it actually is. I'm signing onto the 6" camp.

Although I have many of the DVDs of Basil Rathbone I think I have about every one of Mr. Bretts'. He is, without a doubt, my favorite TV watching. TV for me gets no better than the occasional weekend night, home alone, a brick of good cheese, good "biscuits", good whiskey or whisky, and a couple issues of "Sheer-luck" on the tube.

I absolutely love the Norfolk suits. I enjoy the luxury of being ignorant of when a Norfolk suit is appropriate. Please don't ruin it for me.

Boodles, you are a man after my own heart. I do the same, perhaps with cheap wine instead of whisky/whiskey. It is a guilty pleasure of mine to lay out on the dining room table a small 'homage' to the subject of the evening's video. In the case of SH, a replica single breasted frock, the top hat, black kid gloves and a sliver handled cane and sometimes a pocket watch and chain. I just enjoy the sight of 'em as I shuffle by for another glass of plonck, imagining I have a famous visitor. I am not a well man at all.

metropd

One Too Many
filfoster said:
Boodles, you are a man after my own heart. I do the same, perhaps with cheap wine instead of whisky/whiskey. It is a guilty pleasure of mine to lay out on the dining room table a small 'homage' to the subject of the evening's video. In the case of SH, a replica single breasted frock, the top hat, black kid gloves and a sliver handled cane and sometimes a pocket watch and chain. I just enjoy the sight of 'em as I shuffle by for another glass of plonck, imagining I have a famous visitor. I am not a well man at all.

lol lol That is beautiful!:)

filfoster

One Too Many
Missing Link

Mysterious Mose said:
It looks like a "regular size" top hat to me. I noticed his brim's real flat. I was an undertaker for a few years, I've seen hundreds. I got a few, including a short one and an opera hat, I'll measure up. Been a Sherlockian since the Jeremy Brett series first showed, never mastered the art of deduction.

Thanks for this link: it answers the time period/height question I posed on the top hat thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR