Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jewel Cave National Monument Historic Tours!

Trotsky

A-List Customer
My wife has a position with the NPS out of Jewel Cave National Monument in Custer, South Dakota. She gets to do the historic tours, which is located at the original entrance for the cave system next to the Civilian Conservation Corps cabin.
The best part for the lounge is that she wears the '30s NPS uniform (men's but there was no official women's uniform at the time) with a four pocket tunic, breeches, leather gaiters and, of course, the Montana Peak hat.
Of course my offer to add to the authenticity by tagging along in khaki and chatting about FDR and the fellow Hitler have been refused.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
We took a family vacation to the Black Hills in June and went on the Jewel Cave Historical Lantern tour. The tour was a blast and visits a separate section of the cave than the conventional tour. Also there is no electric lighting, you use old style kerosene lanterns. The tour is a good deal more strenuous than the conventional tour, you need to duck and bend and nearly crawl in places. I thought this was very well done. We also did the conventional tour as well as the conventional tour at Wind Cave which is nearby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner