Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jewish PoWs

the hairy bloke

Familiar Face
A question, I hope doesn't turn nasty.

How were American and British Jews treated if captured by German forces during WWII?

filfoster

One Too Many
Reading history for over 50 years, I don't recall much on this. Hope there are some good posts.

I've done the obvious Google searches, see, e.g.:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=25690
and not much there either except to suggest they (Jewish POW's) were not immediately mistreated in the main, at least at the luft stalags, and there wasn't an obvious Wehrmacht policy to deal with them-a rare lapse for the Germans. As you'd expect, the situation was more grim for Red Army Jewish POW's on the Eastern Front.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have heard over the past 20 years, several Americans who were POWs and Jewish, that the Germans demanded all Jews should be handed over immediately! In every case, the senior Officer or NCO refused the order, and apparently, the German camp Commandant's did not pursue it any farther. All these men attributed the courage of their superiors to their own survival!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
And as tempted as the German higher political commanders would have been, the repercussions of any mistreatment of PWs would have become known to the Allies, and retaliation of some sort taken against German PWs in allied hands.

There was the example of the Germans shackling Canadians captured at Dieppe after they had heard that Canada had shackled some German prisoners.

Too risky at the end of the day.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It should be pointed out, some of the repeat escaping POWs were sent to concentration camps. None were put to death. I am not sure if any were Jews though? It was a way to stop escapes, they would either be worked to death or to week to escape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21