Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joan Collins says British women have given up trying to look good.

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
C-dot said:
Well said. Human as we are, we make these judgments of strangers simply because we have nothing else to judge them on. If we got to know them, we'd most likely find that clothes don't always make the man... Or woman!

As for Joan, the retouching and plastic surgery makes her look like an alien. I think there is a fine like between defying age, and waging a holy war on it - and a losing one, at that!

......I don't think anyone was attacking anyone......this is a blog about style and fashion not moral philosophy so I don't really want to go down that road but there's no real correlation between what people wear and how nice they are......I've known unpleasant, intolerant and self righteous people who wear torn jeans and teeshirts, and saints in high fashion......and vice versa......however, the general appearance of a people provides something of a guide to to their national id. and that's all that's being discussed here.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Brummagem Joe said:
......I don't think anyone was attacking anyone......this is a blog about style and fashion not moral philosophy so I don't really want to go down that road but there's no real correlation between what people wear and how nice they are......

...Isn't that what I said?

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
Let's just say that the word "classy" -- isn't.

........Funny you should mention that Marc but I wonder if you've ever seen that little film clip of the Queen (there's only one) having her picture taken by Annie Leibovitz.......Her majesty was obviously getting a bit ticked about all this discussion of what she was going to wear to have her picture taken and Leibovitz says something like "I'd wear the tiara it looks reeeally classy" .......The Queen gave her the Medusa stare.....it was a scene from P. G. Wodehouse

cookie

I'll Lock Up
MissHannah said:
Can somebody please explain to me why people not dressing smartly is so fundamentally 'bad'? Are we attaching some kind of moral value to the act of putting on a suit or dress? One could argue that those of us who lavish time, money and attention on our appearances to quite the degree that most of us here do are frivolously wasting time that could be better spent in contributing to our society, working for charities and improving the lot of others less fortunate than ourselves. And Gandhi was a right scruffy bugger.

1.QED

2.Affirmative

3.Impossible - are you calling us narcissists?:D

4.Ghandiji was pretty fashionable in that loincloth IMHO lol.

Foofoogal

Banned
I've known unpleasant, intolerant and self righteous people who wear torn jeans and teeshirts, and saints in high fashion......and vice versa......however, the general appearance of a people provides something of a guide to to their national id. and that's all that's being discussed here.

If I could of known one thing as a teen that I know now this would definitely be it.
First impressions are necessary and everyone and I mean everyone has the ideal of what type of person they want to get close to.
What kind of person you are will determine that ideal but always look close but safely.
A raccoon can look sooo cute but may kill you.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brummagem Joe said:
....If the cap fits wear it....lol

:eek:fftopic: Nope not me ...I may disagree with some thoughts or opinions, but, I back up my position with facts without attacking the person. As far as I am concerned, this place is a very nice place to be and exchange ideas, just have to know who you can exchange ideas with. :)

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Carlisle Blues said:
:eek:fftopic: Nope not me ...I may disagree with some thoughts or opinions, but, I back up my position with facts without attacking the person. As far as I am concerned, this place is a very nice place to be and exchange ideas, just have to know who you can exchange ideas with. :)

.........I didn't mean you old man.....I thought you were being ironic and responded with another bit of irony

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Brummagem Joe said:
....If the cap fits wear it....lol

Notice the little red "X" in the top right hand corner of your browser. Should you dislike the topic of a thread, or the opinions within, this button proves useful.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I just read the whole article. Except for Ms. Collins placing the blame for slipping standards mostly on clothing designers, she didn't make one point that I haven't seen 100 times at the Fedora Lounge. Who knows--maybe she's a member.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Having seen Joan thisclose recently, she has a bit of a cheek! (I saw her in Harrods fact fans, sans wig)

Yes, I think she has a point. When did you last go to a wedding where all the women wore hats or weren't flashing the flesh? It's not just a lack of glamour, but the fault of those hideous WAGS* who think that class equals top to toe labels and exposed nipped and tucked breasts.

*Wives And Girlfriends of premier league footballers just to clarify seeing as I'm in Blighty.;)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Working with what you have and accentuating those qualities is not bound by age or budget. It also starts from within; inner beauty always shines regardless of how much plastic surgery or how expensive and stylish an outfit is.

:arated:

Exactly.:eusa_clap

Grant Fan

Practically Family
i_am_the_scruff said:
*applauds*

have to say aswell that I have been to America several times and I have found that the standards in London where i'm from is better than the places I have been to in USA.

I must say I rather resent that comment. We don't have any more frumps that England. I will admit that we are a nation of Jeans lovers but then again we the country cowboys and the like came from. I do have to say though that you ladies in England have a more eclectic style that i enjoy.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Depends where in the US you go, too. For good and for bad. Gotta say the difference between regions always jumps out at me. Just the ratio of black clothes to pink! Size of hair. What colour are business suits (for women - we have more of a range of palette to be noted then the menfolk) allowed to be. Stuff like that varies enormously by geography.

Story

I'll Lock Up
UK Population: 60,943,912 (July 2008 est.)
US Population: 304,059,724 (July 2008 est.)

Stands to reason, we're going to have five times as many frumpy folks as the UK. [huh]

Meanwhile, Viola should appreciate this as well ...

A nationwide survey finds that when it comes to looks, Philadelphians don't match up very well with residents of other cities.

About 60,000 Americans responded to the www.TravelandLeisure.com survey which found that Philadelphia's least attractive quality is the attractiveness of its' residents.

http://www.kyw1060.com/Travel-and-Leisure-Ranks-Phila--Residents-as-Uglie/5394171

vintage_jayhawk

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
Depends where in the US you go, too. For good and for bad. Gotta say the difference between regions always jumps out at me. Just the ratio of black clothes to pink! Size of hair. What colour are business suits (for women - we have more of a range of palette to be noted then the menfolk) allowed to be. Stuff like that varies enormously by geography.

Absolutely! There's also a certain status quo. If everyone dresses this way (frumpy, jeans, muu muu, whatever) than I should dress this way too. Not the best logic, but I admit, when I go home to the farm, I dress differently than when I'm running around the city. By that logic though, maybe I could get the people around me to start dressing better because I dress better. [huh]
:eek:fftopic: I hate the way designers make clothes to dress our children like mini-adults. As if those looks weren't trashy enough on full-grown women :rage:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit