Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johann Hückel´s Söhne (pre 1940)

Steve, the severe flange may be original - it reminds me alot of this melone in your collection:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ian-Hutmachers&p=960671&viewfull=1#post960671

The front looks more conventional but I have never seen anything like the back. I guess when you have it in hand you will be able to make a better judgement. I also asked the curator at Novy Jicin museum if he had seen anything like this before so will update if I hear back. Must have been brought over in the time period. Robert's pre WWI JHS was an American market model.

Also I am sure this hat was made in Neutitschein, Austria (now Novy Jicin, Czech Republic)
and not Vienna as the seller mentions. Wien is mentioned because of the K.u.K supplier connection.

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The JHS arrived today and I'm almost certain it is late 19th century. After studying it closely I think we may have an original Homburg here. Soft velour crown but stiff brim - upon setting the hat down on the table it did not move (supports its own weight). I believe the extreme flange to be original and reminds me alot of Edward VII's collection of homburgs.

Original Box:

Propped upon a Dobbs box for profile:

Garrett

The sweatband is still supple and can take being bent its entire circumference without popping stitches or cracking. This reveals one tag at the exact rear of the sweat:

AND BENEATH THAT TAG ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE LINER (BUT IN THE SAME SPOT):

That's a heckuva thing... fantastic!

Can you tell if the ribbon is silk? (without burning a bit :) - Donna says silk smells like hair when it is burned, rayon, like paper).

Last edited:
Garrett, Definitely a museum piece and in is such great condition. I have never seen JHS paper labels like that before. I think you are correct about the time period. Also with the style although the Homburg term wouldn't have been used in Austria. Probably just Velour Mode Hut (fashion hat) or something similar. Is the Form name toutre or loutre? Also I can't make out the size. I wish I could find some old JHS catalogs. I think the Novy Jicin museum have some but that is another story. Again an amazing find!

Update: I believe it's Loutre which is a European Otter. I have a much later Tonak Plant Hückel "Lutra". The Qualität "E" is for Extra. K.u.K (Kaiserlich und Königlich) Austro-Hungarian Empire 1867–1918. Is the size "Weite" 4 1/2?

Loutre

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loutre_d%27Europe

Tonak Plant Hückel "Lutra"

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/124-tonak-formely-hueckel-plant-hueckel/#entry740

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This Huckel is very interesting.
It remaind me some hunters hats I saw when I was a child in the 50' early 60'.
They were very similar and really well used, not so well finished but the shape is almost the same.
A real great find!

Garrett

Its soft like silk but has the appearance of grosgrain. Will hold off on the burn test for now :)

Steve, Its a size 4 1/2 (56cm) and does appear to read Loutre. So we can safely say this is European Otter? The Loutre term appears under the Farbe (colour) tag line.

Also, there does seem to be remnants of a severed trolley cord under the ribbon bow. When did wind trolleys come about?

Please forward the photos and info along to the museum curator - maybe they can shed some light on this one.

Last edited:
Its soft like silk but has the appearance of grosgrain. Will hold off on the burn test for now :)

Steve, Its a size 4 1/2 (56cm) and does appear to read Loutre. So we can safely say this is European Otter? The Loutre term appears under the Farbe (colour) tag line.

Also, there does seem to be remnants of a severed trolley cord under the ribbon bow. When did wind trolleys come about?

Please forward the photos and info along to the museum curator - maybe they can shed some light on this one.

Loutre is definitely European Otter. I think you are correct about it being related to the color (Farbe). The color does have some resemblance. I don't think it's felt content but I guess it's possible.

I am not sure when wind cords came it to use. This pre WWI German stiff felt of mine has one.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/58-negretti/#entry321

I will send the photos to my contact at the Novy Jicin museum but I have no idea if I will hear anything back.

Silk would have been woven as grosgrain and would be obviously different to rayon in the hand - limp and "silky." Rayon was in very limited use prior to 1900. Agree that the burn test should be avoided. Really fabulous find and in your size too. A head shot would be a treat, Garrett.

Amazing! Flashback 120 years! Garrett VII!

By the way I sent the photos to my contact at Novy Jicin museum. Hopefully I will hear something back but the hat is definitely from Edward VII's time period.

Last edited:
Yes... fantastic. I think I would identify the ribbon as silk from the frayed edge. Nothing frays quite like silk. An extraordinary piece. Can't believe I didn't see it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails