Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Adams miniseries on HBO

Anyone else looking forward to this in March? :)

Based on David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize-winning biography, and executive produced by Playtone's Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman (HBO's Emmy®-winning miniseries "Band of Brothers"), JOHN ADAMS is an epic miniseries event that explores American history through one of its greatest founding fathers, John Adams, a fiercely independent spirit whose unwavering vision steered America through a tumultuous period. The outstanding ensemble cast is led by Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney as John and Abigail Adams. JOHN ADAMS is directed by Emmy® Award-winner Tom Hooper (HBO's "Elizabeth I"), and written by Kirk Ellis (Emmy®-nominated for "Anne Frank: The Whole Story"), who also serves as co-executive producer.

http://www.hbo.com/films/johnadams/index.html

Mustang

One of the Regulars
awesome!

I don't get HBO, but I'll definitely buy the DVD when it comes out. Thanks for the heads up.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have moved this into the Moving Picture where it is better suited.

I am a huge fan of Paul Giamotti's work.

Also, I loved David McCullough's book. Is this based on it? I would be very pleased.

Joseph Ellis wrote a book on Adams that was much more critical.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'd watch Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney; love them both. I have no HBO but I'm sure it'll be on DVD at some point, I'll keep my eyes open.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
If you ever get up to Cooperstown NY, don't just go to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Go out to the Farmers' Museum, and across the street, the Fenimore House Museum. The Fenimore House has the finest collection of American Primitive art in existence. But it also has, in the back, a gallery of bronze life masks of great Americans, made by an artist named John Henri Isaac Browere. He took plaster casts of people like Jefferson, Adams, Dolly Madison, etc., and used them as the basis for full scale bronze busts. These busts are absolutely amazing. You really see the character of these individuals, and the one of John Adams is really striking.
What was that quote about him by Ben Franklin? Something like, "He is a great man, but on some subjects, and at some times, absolutely out of his senses."

pgoat

One Too Many
Dang - We don't have HBO....I have the McCullough book sitting in front of me; been meaning to get to it for months now.....

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't have HBO either, but I will be sure to see this eventually. The cast is amazing - in addition to those already mentioned... Tom Wilkinson as Ben Franklin!

He's my favorite current character actor: I've never seen him give a less than excellent performance. I will watch him in anything...

And yeah, John Adams has a great story too.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This series is fantastic. Some of the best television in a very long time. This makes the Revolution real, and personal. You see the 18th C in all of its mud soaked and pock-faced glory. You see the fear in these men's faces as they put their life, liberty, and sacred honor on the line for their ideals firm in the belief that men who have the knowledge and ability to make changes for the better are morally encumbered to do so.

I was moved more than once.

Plus, today is Evacuation Day in Boston (not to mention St. Pat's !). It is a big state office holiday celebrating the day when the British left the city.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It was visually wonderful, and some of the best TV you could hope to see. It made me want to take some time this summer to visit the Adams homes in MA.

A great deal of whispering made it a struggle, not just for me, but for my family who don't have any trouble with blown eardrums. We had the volume cranked up to the maximum our TV allows, and still the sound was low overall, as though they had artificially dunked the entire show in a bucket. It may well be a DirecTV thing.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There was a good piece about it on NPR and the actual art form of the mini series. How you use to be able to see quality ones on network TV, but the medium has some how thrived on cable, shutting out opportunity as well as an educational platform to many.

I will indeed have to check it out!

LD

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:
It was visually wonderful, and some of the best TV you could hope to see. It made me want to take some time this summer to visit the Adams homes in MA.

A great deal of whispering made it a struggle, not just for me, but for my family who don't have any trouble with blown eardrums. We had the volume cranked up to the maximum our TV allows, and still the sound was low overall, as though they had artificially dunked the entire show in a bucket. It may well be a DirecTV thing.
This wasn't an issue for me at all, so I cannot comment. Is your television relatively new? I was watching it in HD; I don't know whether that made a difference. [huh]

Oh, and I'll take you over to the Adams house. It's modest, but resonates of the man and his wife.

ShortClara

One Too Many
I am so very moved by this series! I had the hubby turn no the HBO again just for it, and I couldn't be happier. I am amazed at the slow takes, full of nothing but monologue or dialogue. It's a series of thinking, and not car chases or fake boobs. Bravo!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Anyone watch Pt. 3 last night? I haven't done any reading on the life of Ben Franklin (although I now think I will). That fellow was quite ahead of his time. The episode sure made him out to be quite a celebrity over in France. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner