Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp influence: Wisconsin bankers want no hats

Pduck

One of the Regulars
MILWAUKEE — With a film about John Dillinger hitting theaters, Wisconsin bankers and law enforcement officials are launching a campaign designed to deter bank holdups.

The movie "Public Enemies" follows the life of the notorious bank robber.

Wisconsin Bankers Association president Kurt Bauer says the film portrays Dillinger as a folk hero rather than a dangerous criminal.

Authorities say that’s a good reason to launch their campaign. It advises patrons to remove their hats, hoods and sunglasses while conducting bank business.

The goal is to make it easier to identify bank robbers. Bauer says people who don’t comply will still be served, but "everyone in the bank will be watching them more closely."

http://www.postcrescent.com/article...eo--Wisconsin-bankers-want-no-hats--no-shades

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Pduck said:

Authorities say that’s a good reason to launch their campaign. It advises patrons to remove their hats, hoods and sunglasses while conducting bank business.

I usually wear a Barack Obama mask when I do bank business of late. I just hand the teller a note that reads:

This is a Federal bail out. Hand me the money in your drawer.

"Oh, Mr. President, your speech last night was just awesome, OMG!

Works every time lol.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Pduck said:
The goal is to make it easier to identify bank robbers. Bauer says people who don’t comply will still be served, but "everyone in the bank will be watching them more closely."

Think it's hard for hat wearers? That's nothing compared to the looks I get when I do my banking in my burqa.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Surveillance; ain't it terrific?

In at least Albany, New York and Lehigh County, Pennsylvania most banks already have signs stipulating that one must remove one's hat and sunglasses, the latter whereof I never wear, upon entering the bank. Sometimes I do, but sometimes I don't. Thus far, noöne has said a word to me about it either way.

Delthayre said:
In at least Albany, New York and Lehigh County, Pennsylvania most banks already have signs stipulating that one must remove one's hat and sunglasses, the latter whereof I never wear, upon entering the bank. Sometimes I do, but sometimes I don't. Thus far, noöne has said a word to me about it either way.

Sometimes I put my mug within an inch or two that little camera with the domed cover mounted right at the teller's station. If it captures a closeup of a nostril, say, well, I hope I at least amuse somebody.

I'm wondering how much longer actual bricks-and-mortar banks will be around, anyway. It's not that I've noticed any real drop in their numbers, but with so many people paying their bills and applying for banking "products" online, and having their pay directly deposited, the need for the branch bank would seem less than it was.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmmm. Perhaps I'll remove my fedora and German sunglasses but put on the glasses to which are attached a fake nose and a paintbrush mustache.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
sigh

I was once in a bank while it was robed.

It wasn't so much the guy's pulled-down cap, pulled-up hood, or wearing of sunglasses indoors that made him so suspicious.... IT WAS THE FACT HE WAS ROBING THE DAMN BANK!

Yeah, the trick is always to watch the patterns of behavior--it's the guy whose dress seems excessively inconspicuous, "too normal" if you will, you wanna watch--especially if he's either fidgeting and showing quite a bit of nervousness, or he seems to be "boring a hole through you" with his eyes; however, the latter isn't totally reliable, as law-enforcement, military and executive-protection employees tend to have a similar effect, briefly "challenging" everyone within a certain distance to size 'em up... Large cargo with the person can be an indicator too, but more often it's someone like me who has to keep a laptop or briefcase with them for business.

@Doran: lol
----------------
Now playing: The Charlie Daniels Band - This Ain't No Rag, It's A Flag
via FoxyTunes

LordBest

Practically Family
Well, I guess my plans to fly to Wisconsin and rob banks in white tie and a topper are on hold. Dashed unfortunate.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
VS hats

Hopefully my OTP bank will make the money transfer when they see under remarks: "Hat order" .

Art, make sure that there are no Wisconsin bankers involved in the chain of transactions.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Huh, banks actually have customers who walk in to do their business? Last time I opened the door to a bank was 2 years ago when we applied for a loan to buy an apartment... Everything else happens online.

duggap

Banned
My bank here in Chattanooga was robbed and hired a security guard. He asked me to remove my hat. I told him if I wore my hat everyone in the bank would know me, but if I took it off they wouldn't know who I was. He said keep it on and walked in behind me. One of the tellers yelled my name and I spoke back. When I looked behind me he had turned around and headed back out the door. Two weeks later I was wearing a Panama and he stopped me again. This time he asked me were he could get a straw hat like mine. I thought that was kind of neat.:p

High Pockets

Practically Family
I went downtown on Monday to pick up some pipe tobacco and make a bank deposit.

After walking four or five blocks between the Tobacco shop and the bank carrying my new pipe and two ounces of my favorite blend under my arm, the small paper sack had become a little wrinkled and unsightly. I walked into the big lobby and noticed that with the exception of the two lady tellers, I was the only one in the bank.

Before going to the window to make my deposit, I went to the little island counter to fill out a deposit slip. I laid that little wrinkled sack on the counter top and made out the slip, then walked up to the teller.

As I handed the slip of paper to the female teller with that little wrinkled sack under my left arm, I glanced up (from under my Biltmore fedora), wondering at that moment how many unseen pistols were pointed at me.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP* GO TO HELL YOU CLAMOROUS AUTOMATON!

Wolfwood said:
Huh, banks actually have customers who walk in to do their business? Last time I opened the door to a bank was 2 years ago when we applied for a loan to buy an apartment... Everything else happens online.

I make deposits and withdrawals in person since human tellers don't beep loudly and endlessly at me and can be rather more accommodating than an obnoxious machine. Dear mercy do I ever despise automatic teller machines; it's a miracle that I haven't taken a hammer to one by now.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have no trouble going into any of my bank's branches wearing hats, no one ever says a thing or even gives a second look.
I do get lots of attention on those days when I wear the stocking pulled down over my face.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Since banks are nervous about hats, I have always considered it a massive courtesy on my part to take my hat off upon entering any bank.

Do they deserve it? [expletives willingly censored], NO! Like everyone else they are out to make a quick buck. They will remember that I am a human being.... oh right, never! But I do it anyway because I don't want to start a riot.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy