Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joker's hat

mc713

New in Town
I am trying to find a very specific style of hat. It appears to be a telescopic fedora with a wide brim. It is the hat that Jack Nicholson wore in the 1989 Batman film when he played the joker. I would like to find this hat in black. Does anyone know what style hat this is called or where I can get one?

John Galt

Vendor
I've seen these flat topped hats with a little taper called gaucho hats. They can be made using a fez block, I imagine.

A low-crowned 1950's style cowboy hat could probably be telescoped (upside down on a flat surface using a flat bottomed cup), and brim ironed to get this look.

Mr. Ermatinger's book explains how to telescope a hat like this.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
here's a few images of Nicholson's Joker Hat....

Looks like it's a wide brimmed hat, (2 7/8, 3' ?), flanged with a fedora curl, (as seen in the first pic). The second pic shows the brim snapped all the way down as opposed to being ironed flat.

Joker.jpg

Joker_02.jpg

Here he is as the psychotic gangster,"Jack Napier", before he became the Joker....notice the hat. It looks the same as his Joker Hat, except that it's black...

Jack_Napier.png

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Something akin to an Akubra Federation, given a telescopic bash, woild do the job nicely. If you want Napier black, or the moonstone grey one the joker also wears, from memory. If you want the purple, I think you'll be into a custom job...

fedoracentric

Banned
Just doesn't ring as a porkpie to me. That looks more like a round creased western, not a pork pie. To me a porkpie is s shorter crown than Oppenheimer's above and a very short brim 2-3/8 inches or less. Often with the brim flipped up all the way around, sometimes with a flat brim.
Like so...
porkpie.jpg
That is what I envision when someone says porkpie.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
If you bought a Bushman and creased it similar to the OP's request you'd come pretty close
Richard
Yup. I was going to post pics of both the Bushman and the Squatter earlier, except that neither of those two hats have a color that matches the Joker Hat....

Akubra "Squatter"....the "Bushman" would look similar with that same porkpie crease

squatter.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I agree that it does not look like a pork pie. I can't say with certainty, but the joker hat looks like a real flat top. Like this costume hat sold contemporaneously with the 1989 movie:

zahy8ene.jpg

And this real hat, found online:

3ugudysu.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I think mc 713 said they wanted it in black, yes?
My first thought was with John Galt. Knowing how Nicholson played the character and everything, definitely more of a Spanish flair than a Hasidic. The gaucho hat immediately came to mind.
Hard to find, but you could go custom.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I dunno. Here's a couple pictures of Nicholson's "Jack Napier" costume. Enlarged, the hat seems to show, what looks to be, an obvious Porkpie crease....there also seems to be a visible ridge around the top of the hat for a porkpie.

napier_enlarged.jpg

napier_02_enlarged.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner