Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jules Dassin: When Noir Turned Black

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Here's a great article on the legendary writer director Jules Dassin, creator of noir masterpieces The Naked City, Topkapi, Night and the City, Thieves' Highway, Brute Force and Rififi, not to mention The Canterville Ghost and A Letter for Evie among others.

Dassin was blacklisted in 1950, and he is now a gracious and interesting 95 year old link to the bad old good old days of Hollywood.

When Noir Turned Black

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Great interview and article!

It's always facinating to read about the dark depths of the motion picture industry. Nothing is secret forever.

"There are 8 million stories in the Golden Age of Hollywood, this has been one of them"

Feraud

Bartender
What a great read. It is amazing how after having suffered through a blacklist he maintains his love of country.

As an aside, what is with the Rififi remake with Pacino?
There are 8 million stories in the Naked City, and Hollywood is hellbent on remaking them all.

Feraud

Bartender
I think the film is listed as in preproduction. There is probably not much to report yet. No daily weblogs like Jackson did for his King Flop remake.

I used to have an extreme dislike of remakes but now see them as a way of getting the originals released on dvd! :)

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Fantastic article Jake, thanks for the link. Dassin made several of my all time favourite films (including, of course, Night and the City).

Apart from anything else, great to know he is still alive, and still kicking.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Regarding the remake of Rififi: Neil Jordan's take on Bob le Flambeur was a very interesting and worthy film in its own right. Unfortunately Howard Beck is not Neil Jordan, having only managed to make two good movies in a thirty-odd year career. So, yeah, Rififi remake = :eek: :( :mad:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt