Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

just a vest

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
anyone know of any stores, either online, or that i can walk into, where i can purchase just a vest? the places around me will only sell me a vest if i purchase the jacket & pant to go along with it. i am not looking for a tuxedo vest. just a few different styles.
thanx!!!
Charlie

Marty M.

Vendor
Vest up this fall.

I'll have them this fall. Tweeds and Woolens. This fall doesn't do you much good now though. Sorry.
Marty Mathis

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm with you

In the late 1970s-early 1980s I could get a vest by itself in department stores. When I asked about it recently at Macy's the man in the men's wear section looked confused then suggested the area of suits. I asked the gentlemen there and they kept thinking I meant "with a suit". I asked for only the vest and they gave me a look like I was insane.
Now that many pop stars (male and female) are wearing vests we have a better chance in stores carrying them. I recently bought a pinstripe vest in a store in the mall. They sell studded belts and t-shirts with rude sayings. Of course the vest does have skull buttons.[huh]

Sincerely,
the Wolf

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Vests...

Folks,

I've found that there are really only three ways to get a vest now:

1. Have it made (bespoke).
2. Buy it with a suit.
3. Find a vintage vest.

I like going to discount fabric places, picking my fabric...buying a couple of yards and having them made bespoke.

FG.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Or they say this....

Or they say "you should try a tux shop" ...It's no problem looking like Kenny Rogers from the Gambler; it's just impossible to find a new vest you could wear and not look like you're on your way to prom...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Vests across the world

How different things are across the world. It is still relatively easy to obtain separate vests (waistcoats) in traditional men's outfitters in the UK. In fact, I know a town where there is an establishment called The Waistcoat Shop that sells nothing else...

Alan

Feraud

Bartender
Absolutely. Size is a consideration along with quality, style, etc.
It is not easy to walk into a store and buy a vest so having options is necessary.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
bruce wayne said:
thanx for all the responses. anyone know a good shop to ket a bespoke vest made in the chi-town, NW Indiana, area?
thanx!!!
Charlie
p.s.: i am asuming that bespoke means one off. i have heard it thrown around alot on here, but i always jsut ifgured that is what it meant...

Bespoke means custom made. Made to your specifications and to fit you exactly, with your choice of style and materials.

If that's what you want, check out Chris Despos. 34 E. Oak, 3rd floor in Chicago. I haven't used him, but he comes highly recommended.

Be warned, though--bespoke isn't cheap.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Orgetorix said:
If that's what you want, check out Chris Despos..........Be warned, though--bespoke isn't cheap.
Since a Despos 2 piece is around 4k, a vest would probably cost close to 1k.

Marty M.

Vendor
Second the motion.

Orgetorix said:
Bespoke means custom made. Made to your specifications and to fit you exactly, with your choice of style and materials.

If that's what you want, check out Chris Despos. 34 E. Oak, 3rd floor in Chicago. I haven't used him, but he comes highly recommended.

Be warned, though--bespoke isn't cheap.
I second Orgetorix recomendation about Chris Depos. He's a not only a stand up guy. But also a great Tailor. If that doesn't work, I know another guy in the Northland............. ;) Good Luck.
Marty Mathis

Jovan

Suspended
Pakeman unfortunately uses fused construction. At least, that's what I was told here. A shame.

If you want a great example of how to do an odd vest (or waistcoat, as I call them), look no further than Grant's nemesis in North by Northwest. He wore a green one with a brown suit if I remember right, and it looked very refined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy