Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought one of my fave Jimmy Stewart movies...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just bought the movie, "Shenadoah" with gentleman Jimmy Stewart (movie star and former bomber pilot in WWII). I just love this movie set during the North American Civil War and how it effects a family.

BTW, also just seen the movie, "Fried Green Tomatoes" for the first time, and really enjoyed it (it flits between the 30s and the 90s).

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, Tomatoes is great! I don't remember Stewart in there? Who did he play? My fav Stewart movie is The Glenn Miller Story, but then I haven't seen a whole lotta his movies so that opinion could always change if I one day see more of his work.

PZ93C

New in Town
ITG- I don't think General Stewart was in "Tomatoes"

I always liked "The Philidelphia Story". With Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn, Stewart makes it a memorable film.

Brian

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Ahhhh, that would 'splain why I don't remember him in there. I guess I just assumed so since Paddy mentioned it in his Stewart post, but now I see that he meant the comment as an aside.

Feraud

Bartender
Nice score Paddy. Shenadoah is a good one. Stewart was a fantastic actor. A well deserved reputation as an "All-American" type.
I have to say my favorite Jimmy Stewart movie is probably Vertigo. I thought he went so against "type" and did a great job of it. Can anyone imagine Jimmy Stewart playing a pawn, jilted and ultimately obsessed lover? Now that is the mark of a great actor.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, lordy, what would be my favorite JS movie. I liked him in many of those westerns he played in the 50's, also some of his classic films. I think Vertigo is one of my favorites, with Kim Novak, and I like Bell, Book and Candle, which he also made with Novak.

I am perhaps partial to Rear Window; he was good in all the Hitchcock films he made.

Glen Miller Story, Strategic Air Command, How the West Was Won, Winchester 73, Man From Laramie, and Broken Arrow. Yes, and Shenandoah.

Anyone remembering him in Greatest Show on Earth, hiding from the law behind clown makeup?

The Philadelphia Story was a great one, so was his Mr. Smith one, didn't he win the Oscar for that one? Never saw Harvey.

I think it would be easier to list what movies Jimmy Stewart was in that I did not like. I can't think of any. I liked him in Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, but I liked John Wayne's character in it more. I get tired of It's a Wonderful Life, though he does a wonderful job. It's just shown too much for my taste.

Great actor, one of the best!

Didn't he hold the rank of General after the war?

karol

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Stewart is one of my all-time favorites of that period as well. Somehow I have just never been a fan of John Wayne. He was good at what he did, but somehow the characters he always portrayed never turned out as interesting as Stewarts. Same with Clint Eastwood, really. If you have seen Clint Eastwood in one film you have sort of seen him in all of them. I guess you can be a good actor by squinting, not saying much and being sort of dangerous looking but it is not my cup of tea.

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
I've been looking for "The Shopworn Angel" for ages now. It's on VHS but the price on it is ridiculous. I think I saw it on a website for 60 bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff