Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just out of curiosity, anyone care to sell me a 7 1/2 vintage top hat?

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I nearly scored my holy grail of hats the other day, a gorgeous near mint vintage silk opera topper in 7 1/8. The hand written tag at first appeared to read 7 1/2, my size, so imagine my horror when I found out it didn't fit.

It made me wonder if there's any gents on the lounge who might have a vintage topper in my size for sale. Just putting out the feelers at this point. I've seen a few on ebay, but the frustrating thing is that they almost never know the size, and the sizes I've seen don't fit me.

Who's got something for me?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I sure do hope you can find something worthy of ownership of this type of hat in your size. I have been looking at the silk top hats a few years on eBay for my Husband, to date the only larger clean hats have been a 7 3/8 size and the price was too much for the budget here!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I sure do hope you can find something worthy of ownership of this type of hat in your size. I have been looking at the silk top hats a few years on eBay for my Husband, to date the only larger clean hats have been a 7 3/8 size and the price was too much for the budget here!

They do seem to be very hard to come by. Tantalizingly close, yet so far! I could possibly pull off a 7 3/8, as it's only 1/8 inch difference, but not much different than that.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I could possibly pull off a 7 3/8, as it's only 1/8 inch difference, but not much different than that.

Not with a stiff hat you can't. I haven't handled any toppers, but stiff Derbys/ Bowlers and Boaters are just the same in that respect and believe me, either they fit or they don't. No leeway like you have it with soft hats. You can get away with a slightly loose fit (and possibly pad it), but not with a tight fit.

Last edited:
Have you searched eBay? I saw several collapsible opera hats in larger sizes. Look for return privileges... As Rabbit points out, a Gibus frame top hat cannot be resized on a stretcher.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
The problem with all modern iterations of the tophat is that they lack the essential style and the ultra tight foldover brim curl. When you see the elegant lines and graceful curves of a real vintage tophat, the modern ones are all pale imitations.

That pop up one is about the same condition as the one I saw. Very lovely, but a little bit out of my price range, sadly ;_; The age surprises and concerns me a bit, although it may be mis-dated. My research suggested that the last of the machinery in existence which could make a proper tophat like this was destroyed in the 1930's.

The Locke and Co hats are probably the most magnificent modern hats I have ever seen, but are WAY outside my price range. Maybe when I retire, I'll give myself one as a gift! lol

Thanks for trying guys, I'll keep looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo