Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

just won: royal stetson fedora

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230033290249

i was incredibly surprised due to its stated condition that no one else tried to aquire this hat.
36_1.JPG

heres the ebay description

A vintage grey royal stetson fedora in its original box in pristine condition
has original price tag still attached

SIZE 7
2" BRIM

4.5" CROWN

any idea on age?
did i do well :) i await your verdicts

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's the classic eBay gamble. The hat looks great, but there's only one picture. No idea what lies underneath, no real idea of the condition of the sweatband and such, and no clue as to age other than it looks late '50s-early '60s just because of the brim width and crown style.

You snagged it for a good deal, and who knows? When it arrives it could be really great or just OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it turns out to be a winner. :)

Please take some detailed pictures when you get it. Thanks!

The moral of the story is, if anybody wants to sell a hat on the 'Bay, take lots of pictures! Details of the sweatband and liner and any labelling under the sweat. I guarantee you'll get more bids!

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
:eusa_clap hi tony, interesting angle i hadnt considered im basically taking this person on there word that the hat is indeed in mint condition. ive been lucky so far!

does anyone out there own a royal stetson of the same style?

what sort of quality is the felt usually?

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
hi all, this hat finally arrived. Im relieved to find that it is in perfect condition as it was described. The gold lettering on the stetson symbol on the band is perfect and shining. It does have the appearence as having never been worn. Ive never owned a stetson felt before it is slightly stiffer than my other fedoras. It fits well and seems to be of descent quality. It had the original price tag and hat box which said 11.95

One qualm i have. Around the brim which is bound, the stitching is clearly visable. This somewhat horrified me at first as none of my other hats have this. All in all though it turned out to have a happy ending.

skwerl-hat said:
One qualm i have. Around the brim which is bound, the stitching is clearly visable. This somewhat horrified me at first as none of my other hats have this. All in all though it turned out to have a happy ending.

I'm not quite seeing what you mean.

How could a bound edge not have visible stitching? The silk has to be attatched somehow, no? I've never seen a glued one [huh]

bk

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That was a great gamble SH, It has payed off well. I too have never had a bound brim without the threads showing.

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
i dont have a digital camera or id take a picture of me in the hat also.

i have a straw stetson which is bound edge and a person has to look close to see the stitching it isnt so glaringly obvious. this is my first felt bound edge maybe i just dont know what im looking at

will you forgive a noob his noobish comment?:eek:

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
skwerl-hat said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230033290249

i was incredibly surprised due to its stated condition that no one else tried to aquire this hat.
36_1.JPG

heres the ebay description

A vintage grey royal stetson fedora in its original box in pristine condition
has original price tag still attached

SIZE 7
2" BRIM

4.5" CROWN

any idea on age?
did i do well :) i await your verdicts

Congrats on a good looking hat, this is what kept the price and the number bids low. SIZE 7

Razzman

One Too Many
Nice looking hat. Great find, however I'm sure as others have noted that the size 7 was the key. How can you go wrong with a Vintage Stetson in very fine condition for such short money? Congratulations, wear it well.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Good hat buy

I'm not too surprised at your find due to the small size and the fact that a lot of hat fans do not like the Homburg look. I sold all of mine after I had them for a while, they just didn't do anything for me.

In some of the gangster movies the characters wear Homburgs, e.g. Al Pacino in the God Father series and he looked good in them. Not all of us do.

jeboat:) :) :)

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana I can't quite tell from the pictures, it looks to have the brim edge folded over and stitched, in an "overwelt." Can the brim be snapped down?

the brim can be snapped down. In fact upon closer examination it does look like its folded over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany