Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just won this suit

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Did you do alright, BigFitz? It depends on what you were aiming for.

Did you want a well-made mass-produced suit with a conservative (but darted) cut? If so, then you did alright. In the mid 1970s, when this suit was made, "Hickey-Freeman" was a well-established, upper echelon brand. (Still is, actually.)

Did you want a suit made before the mid 1970s? If so, then that's not what you've won.

(Why do I say mid '70s, instead of late '60s? Because I see that the lapels are not normally as large as the photo indicates. The suit's jacket is not well pressed, so the lapels are rolling all the way down to the bottom buttonhole. This mistake makes the lapels flare out, and look bigger than they would be were the jacket correctly pressed.)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Good price. Yes, with lapels that wide I'd say early seventies (especially if you find it has a single interior breast pocket, combined with those wide lapels). A good, early Seventies suit can IMO be a good buy. In addition to the wide lapels, they typically have reasonably wide legs (as lng as it is not a 'fashion suit' with flared legs), and this combination if accessorised correctly can pass well for a late Forties look, imo.

Edward

Bartender
The lapels look that wide only because they have been left to roll open to the bottom button. Once a good dry cleaner rolls the lapels back to the top button, they'll return to their original width (which isn't all that wide).

Ah! It might well be older, then.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The point is, if it fits, and you should look for a good tailor to alter it for you if necessary, it should be a very nice serviceable suit. And for $25, you really can't complain. Wear it in good health.

BigFitz

Practically Family
Well, I was looking for a '50's suit so I guess I have a lot to learn. On the other hand, for $40 shipped I didn't hurt myself too bad. I just hope it's in decent enough shape to use. Thanks for everyone's input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner