Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kays Clothing Catalogue

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Suits:

1927_zps0a0263b9.jpg

1933_zps0c80fbeb.jpg
1933b_zps22a852be.jpg

1937 a beautiful flecked belt-back suit:
1937_zps7853c018.jpg

1940c_zps75237567.jpg

1943b_zps7a900968.jpg
1943_zps68e7ad37.jpg

1947b_zps9fe6ce18.jpg
1947_zps36d203a6.jpg

1959b_zps9fc80dc4.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Looking at the suits, it seems that everything looks good until about 1957, and by 1959 things are really going downhill. It makes me think of an earlier comment by HBK about the turning point for British menswear coming in 1956: it seems he was right!

Nettie

New in Town
Oh that's great - have just had a look at web site - lots for us ladies too, how ever, I seem to be missing that fetching yellow rain poncho (1957) from my vintage wardrobe great for our English summers :D

And yes would love copies of any books if they published them!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating stuff. Certainly very different from the stuff you get in catalogues nowadays. When I used to cover the local sheriff court, lawyers invariably claimed that their clients had a hefty catalogue debt to reduce the rate at which their fine would be repaid.

Metatron

One Too Many
Great to see these up here, TT - and bravo to Kay's for putting up that website.... It would be great if they did a print run of these, akin to the books already on the market that collect illustrations from US Sear's catalogue together by decade. "Everday Fashions of the [decade X]", I think that's the title. I have the 30s/40s/50s volumes at home. Some really nice images - great not only for details of specific items, but contemporary ideas of what should be worn with what for the construction of a very period accurate look.

Agreed, an admirable initiative.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
BK: "I'm quite partial to those 1959 cuts, tbh. Esp. second from right. A last hurrah of older styling, perhaps?"

For me, the turning point is the move to the two-button single breasted jacket. A 2 button is fine when it has a high button stance but, for me, as soon as the deep 'v' appears I just don't like it as much. When i look at the blue three piece from 1957 i don't have the same reaction, simply because the waistcoat fills the space above the jacket closure.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
there's a definite American influence once you get into the 50s, especially noticeable in the casual wear. the suit illustrations seem to be aiming for a 'bold' look.
i must say most of the suits of the 40s and 50s don't resemble British suits i've actually seen in real life. they look too wide in the shoulder and long in the body, but it might just be the illustrations.

Edward

Bartender
there's a definite American influence once you get into the 50s, especially noticeable in the casual wear. the suit illustrations seem to be aiming for a 'bold' look.
i must say most of the suits of the 40s and 50s don't resemble British suits i've actually seen in real life. they look too wide in the shoulder and long in the body, but it might just be the illustrations.

I'm sure it is in part years of conditioning, but I'm not sure I'd want to buy something from a drawing rather than an actual photo nowadays! (That said, I still love these illustrations). A distinct American influence post 1950 would make sense: that's the point at which English language popular culture begins to be increasingly dominated by the US. Post-War, US army bases, rock and roll, Elvis, later on the death, for the most part, of the British film industry, replaced in the mainstream by Hollywood.... I was born in 1974, and I've probably, in my entire lifetime, seen more US films than non, and possibly almost as much US-sourced TV as that from anywhere else.

Something I wonder.... what level of the market were Kays aimed at? Much of the concept behind these catalogues, as I understand it, was that you could pay in a small amount on a per week basis and have the item right away, rather than paying the full amount up front. Given that this would have appealed to a lower-income market, is it possible that the suits were simply less sturdy than what tends to have survived, and would have been handed down through several people as well?

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
A distinct American influence post 1950 would make sense: that's the point at which English language popular culture begins to be increasingly dominated by the US.

too true. my personal feeling is that British men's style had a crisis of confidence and lost it's way in the 50s as it tried to copy the US. you get many poor quality dacron-polyester versions of the American 'atomic' shirts, and the suits don't seem to know whether to be bold or continental. the one thing the Brits were really good at - the 30s shape - gets jettisoned as it now looks too stuffy. consequently most 50s British clothing looks (to me) unconvincing and lacking in identity.

Something I wonder.... what level of the market were Kays aimed at?

similar to Burtons; affordable clothing for the average working class family. i've never found a Kays brand suit, but it seems, looking at the pages, that they had various named ranges under the Kays name.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure it is in part years of conditioning, but I'm not sure I'd want to buy something from a drawing rather than an actual photo nowadays! (That said, I still love these illustrations).

Something I wonder.... what level of the market were Kays aimed at? Much of the concept behind these catalogues, as I understand it, was that you could pay in a small amount on a per week basis and have the item right away, rather than paying the full amount up front. Given that this would have appealed to a lower-income market, is it possible that the suits were simply less sturdy than what tends to have survived, and would have been handed down through several people as well?

That occurred to me too. But then, I guess a lot more people either didn't have access to the High Street shops that we have nowadays, and that the expense of a suit was too much for many in lingering post-war austerity, so perhaps catalogues didn't have quite the same down market image as they do now. I'm with you on the 'buying from a drawing' aversion too - artistic licence must've played a big part in these images. I can imagine there was many a sigh of disappointment from people receiving their suit, only to find it wasn't precisely 'as sketched'. :D

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
That occurred to me too. But then, I guess a lot more people either didn't have access to the High Street shops that we have nowadays, and that the expense of a suit was too much for many in post-war austerity times, so perhaps catalogues didn't have quite the same down market image as they do now.

Yes, that's what I was getting at - austerity times, not a lot of money around, and, crucially, a lack of alternative credit options (these days, folsk would just dump it all on the visa) made the old "club books" a very important source for a lot of people. I also remember a time in the early Eighties when, at least in semi-rural Northern Ireland in an era when a lot of folks didn't want to travel into Belfast, these sorts of mail order outlets would have been your only real option if you wanted to buy certain brands like Levis. Really, while ecommerce has sped up the process, it's not that different otherwise.

I'm with you on the 'buying from a drawing' aversion too - artistic licence must've played a big part in these images. I can imagine there was many a sigh of disappointment from people receiving their suit, only to find it wasn't precisely 'as sketched'. :D

I suppose back when it was the norm people would have worked around it.... It just occurred to me as quite funny that while I found myself gazing wistfully at these images, I also remembered being very suspicious of a big-name, US-based retailer that only had drawings, no photos, on their website. Some of us are never happy, eh? lol A combination of both would be great, though.... (Lip Service, an "Alternative Clothing" label well respected in my punk/goth/psychobilly days, used to do that. It was the best of both worlds, as sometimes a line drawing gives you a clearer idea of details that aren't so clear in even the best of photos. Especially important when 99.9% of items proffered are black, noir, or deep charcoal.... ;) ).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Sports & Leisure wear:

1928 tennis
1928_zps692b702a.jpg

1930 sports coat
1930_zpse0611ebb.jpg

The text informs us that, contrary to the illustration, the jacket has pleats and a stitched down rear belt and is available with patch pockets:
1930text_zps24bad5c5.jpg

1930 swimwear
1930b_zpsc1d21acd.jpg

1933 Tennis wear
1933b_zps4d91bdab.jpg

1933 Hiking
1933_zps023dca3a.jpg

1937c_zps147161b4.jpg
1937_zps7f7bd0b6.jpg

1937 swimwear
1937d_zpse9851e62.jpg

1938 swimwear