Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keep It Under Your Stetson

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure that just about all of us have seen at least a few of these ads. Today, I came across this article about the ads/posters, which also references an article that isn't available online (as far as I can tell), that was written by Debbie Henderson. I've contacted Debbie through her website and requested that she provide me with a paper or electronic copy of her article. If she does, and if she gives me her permission, I'll post a copy of it here.

It's interesting to note that the article says that there are 5 posters in the series, but I've got 9 different posters here. If you've got more of these, please post them in this thread.

warII046%20Keep%20it%20under%20your%20Stetson%2018x24%20B2%20-3g04266u.jpg

Keep%20it%20under%20your%20Stetson.jpg
jewelry.jpg

carelessstetson.jpg
raft.jpg

pilot.jpg
3284373249_fc7f15cd80.jpg

!BN3n6(QBGk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLl0WegBJrz3bEIoQ~~_1.JPG
stetson-sm.jpg

Keep it under your stetson--one firm's contribution to the war effort
Chronicle of the Early American Industries Association, Inc., The , Mar 2001 by Wyman, Thomas

Manufacturers of domestic products had a tough time in World War II keeping their names in front of the public. They turned to patriotic themes as one method of doing so.

I was reminded of this sometime ago after reading Debbie Henderson's most interesting article, "The Stetson Myth," (The Chronicle, December 1998, Vol. 51, No. 4). As an addition to her paper, readers might be interested to learn about a series of five advertising posters which Stetson produced during the war. Each poster measured approximately thirty inches by forty inches and each carried the same message, "Loose Talk can cost Lives! Keep it under your Stetson." Individually, the posters got the Stetson advertising message across, and together as a panel they conveyed a graphic picture of what "loose talk" could cost the nation and war effort. During the war years these posters were distributed to clothing stores and haberdasheries which carried the Stetson line. Shopkeepers would have had to use at least fifteen feet of open wall space to display the five posters effectively, which suggests that only a limited number of stores would have bad the room to display them.

Each poster has a different subject. There is a thin furtive man in a suit coat with his hat pulled down making a hushed call from a public telephone booth. One poster depicts a grim scene seen through the periscope of a Uboat-a cargo ship with its cargo handling booms has just been struck by a torpedo, and a violent explosion obscures the midsection of the vessel. Then there is the scene of two pathetic men in torn, ragged clothes in a small rubber life raft. It seems clear that they haven't much hope of being spotted and surviving. Finally there are the two posters shown here. Figure I shows an attractively coiffured woman with an earring featuring a swastika. Figure 2 shows a gleeful pilot wearing goggles and eyeing a convoy.

The provenance of this particular set of Stetson posters begins with my brother, who as a high school student during 19441945, worked in a Palo Alto clothing store. He was so enamored of the set that when it came time to take them down and dispose of them, he rolled them up and brought them home on his bicycle much to Mother's dismay. For years they hung casually on nails in our home-built workshop.

I kept an eye on the posters over the years, making sure they weren't lost or dammed by rain in their lessthan-waterproof environment. Then when it came time for me to level our deteriorating workshop, I rescued the posters and kept them out of harm's way. Finally, a few years ago, my brother and I decided to share the posters. We framed them and hung them in our respective homes where they have become real conversation pieces.

Perhaps this information will provide an interesting footnote to the Stetson legend, and to one company's efforts during the war.

Thomas Wyman

Thomas Wyman is the president of the Oughtred Society, the international group of slide rule collectors.

[How cool would it be to call yourself President of the slide rule collectors?]

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
A good way of mutual propaganda. I wonder if people bought Stetsons rather than other hats as a result of this. And talking of hat propaganda, would a Borsalino have been though to be unpatriotic during the war as it came from Italy?

:eek:fftopic: If anyone has any Stetsons like those advertised in the posters please PM me.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
AAnd talking of hat propaganda, would a Borsalino have been though to be unpatriotic during the war as it came from Italy?

I'm operating under that theory at the moment. Check out the thread on vita-felt, which was introduced in 1940. I believe that it was introduced specifically to take Borsalino's US business.

Lefty said:
7-30-1940 was the first date that Stetson used vita-felt in commerce, and on August 6, 1940, the New York Times reported that Stetson had perfected a new felting process that it would market as vita-felt. According to the article, George S. Russell, Jr., president of Stetson, said that "Certain types of foreign hats have found a market in America because of their springiness and their soft mellow feel". Vita-Felt would have the same feel, but be made by American workers paid American wages. The store ads that follow invite comparison of vita-felt hats and foreign made hats.

jpbales

Practically Family
very cool

Stetson should make a modern-day campaign based off of an idea like this, just a thought.
It was amazing how the whole country came together and united against the enemy.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Carter. Somehow I managed to include that one in the vita felt thread but not in this one. :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's yet another one I missed. Here's a slightly larger version (I have it dated 1944) and a matchbook.
stetson1944-1.jpg

stetsonshipmatchbook.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for awaking the thread, Lefty. This is one I'd missed.

It's also the first thread I've ever rated and I've give it a rating of excellent!

Hope I'm not talking to loosely ;).

:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21