Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping off The Frizz

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12480

Hello Gals!

So, my hair is naturally curly but i do pincurl it every night. When i brush it out in the morning the top is reasonably smooth but the ends are horiffic. It just looks really frizzy and stuff. I've tried wax but it doesn't do much as i can't use enough without it going greasy so i was wondering if there was something anybody used on their dry hair either just before brushing out to get it smoother and less tangly or to sort of 'swirl' into my hair after brushing it out.

Sorry if there is a post on this already - i did look for one.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
I have honestly found the best solution for the frizzy ends is to get a trim. I was doing my pin curls sets on hair that hadn't been cut for a long while and was really frustrated at how frizzy the ends were. A good trim really helped, along with using end papers.

D

Deleted member 12480

i have just had a trim, but the ends of my hair have always been 'split ends' ish even though i have no split ends. I will have a look at using end papers though! Also i used to blowdry and wash my hair a lot (to get my short curly hair to stand up) but now i'm letting it grow out and i think its still getting over it, perhaps? In maybe another month i'll look at getting a trim, and a 'u' shape!

D

Deleted member 12480

December - i take it you're curly yourself then? :)

i like you - very helpful ;)

xxx

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My hair also has a tendency to frizz. For a vintage-type product I like Royal Crown hairdressing, or Tres Flores Brilliantine (the pomade version, not the liquid). Both are petroleum jelly type products that you just dab onto the ends to smooth them. The Brilliantine I buy at Wal-Mart, usually near the men's shaving products. I think I bought the Royal Crown at Sally Beauty. I originally picked it up for my husband to use, but it is too greasy for him so I swiped it! My hair is so dry, it drinks it right up.

For a modern product, I really like Tigi Rockaholic spray. It is a spray-on detangler and defrizzer. It is pretty wet so 1 spritz on the ends is usually plenty.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I also agree with whoever said end papers! I have to use them to curl mine as I'm growing it out from a very short cut and have a lot of layers. I definitely noticed more frizz on the curls where I didn't use the papers (I use foam rollers, not pincurls.) I have also been told that pincurls create more frizz by nature, but I don't know how true that is.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
My hair is curly but the climate in ontario has made it super frizzy. I really like the John Frieda FrizzEase collection. I use the serum after I wash my hair. Have you tried doing a dry set with just a little spritz of diluted setting lotion?

December

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:
December - i take it you're curly yourself then? :)

i like you - very helpful ;)

Yep, really curly. Which, as I expect you find, is fantastic when it's doing what I want it to and horrendous when it's not!! And it usually doesn't!

And thank you :) I like to be helpful.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I almost bought some end papers, but wasn't sure they would work with pin curls.

But maybe I can get them to work. I've been experimenting with my sets and have frizz. I know a dry set can tame frizz, but I like the staying power of a wet set. I'm experimenting with "in between" and allowing my hair to almost dry, using water to spritz before setting.

D

Deleted member 12480

ahh yeah thats what i do mostly else its not dry by the morning. I spied some split ends already so maybe i will be going back to the hairdressers shortly!

I do like how my hair turns out after a dry set but as soon as i brush - frizz tastic, and mostly towards the ends?!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Could it be the type of brush you are using? I find my naturally wavy, on-the-dry-side hair is much less frizzy when I use a brush with natural bristles that are set very close together. If I blow dry my hair, I use a round brush and wrap the ends of my hair around it and then unwind my hair from it - as opposed to brushing it out. I tend to use product only on the ends, because I'm outdoors so much, any more stuff on my hair is just a magnet for every dirt particle in the air.:)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I did a damp set on my hair last night. I wash with a sulfate-free shampoo for colored hair, then deep conditioned, towel dried, spritzed it with some Tigi Rockaholic to detangle & fight frizz, and let it air dry. When it was almost totally dry, I rolled it on foam rollers using end papers and dampened with Lottabody diluted 5:1 (for colored hair). This morning when I took my set out, I used a dab of Brilliantine, probably about 1/2 the size of a dime, and rubbed it through my curls before I brushed them out. It did seem to help with frizz and it smells nice! I notice when looking at a lot of vintage photos of movie stars, and even modern photos of Dita von Teese, the ladies' hair appears to have a lot more product in it.

I've been using a plain paddle brush with plastic bristles, but I think I'm going to try a natural bristle. I have a tough time using them mostly because my hair is so thick, the bristles don't "cut" into it enough to do anything other than brush over the top layer of hair.

D

Deleted member 12480

yeah i hear you there!
i have one and its good for smoothing my fringe but thats about it!

I definitely think i need some more product in it - it doesn't 'stay' during the day and, especially dita von teese, i find that her hair looks like she has a lot of product in it, but the internet refuses to divulge how she does it!

xxxx

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Yes, her hair looks very "molded" - almost heavy or greasy - you can tell she's got a lot of something in there. I would guess a Brilliantine type product. You can see the same look on a lot of 1940s movie stars, you can tell they've got it coated with product! I can't use that much without feeling weighed down, and I can't imagine trying to wash it out, either. Garnier Fructis makes a nice brilliantine water wax that adds a lot of shine and isn't too greasy.

I would love for Dita to do a hair tutorial!

D

Deleted member 12480

lily, i have a paddle brush, a plastic cylyndrical brush and a natural bristle brush and i use all of them, but i find the natural bristle just skims over the top? Xx

Marla

A-List Customer
Annie, for a natural bristle brush to be effective it needs to be boar bristle with a wooden handle. To smooth frizz, separate your curls into sections and comb the length of each section against the palm of your hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR