Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keystone 8mm Film Projector

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I got this an at estate sale today for only $2.50! It's in near mint condition!

projector1.jpg

projector2.jpg

However, the bulb is burned out, and I see a few on ebay for $25 - $30 and they are only rated to last about 15 hours! :( I really want to watch some films on this, though! If I decide to get a bulb, do you have an 8mm film suggestions? :)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Good deal! I have a Kodak equivalent and have watched only one film on it...someone's 1950s vacation movie. I'd be afraid to watch any kind of feature movie for fear of burning a hole in it. I can't believe bulbs for it would cost so much.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
Good deal! I have a Kodak equivalent and have watched only one film on it...someone's 1950s vacation movie. I'd be afraid to watch any kind of feature movie for fear of burning a hole in it. I can't believe bulbs for it would cost so much.

Thanks!

It takes a DCH 120 volt 150 watt bulb. The specs say 115 volt but I could not find a single one online and the instruction manual says to use a bulb in the same approximate voltage so I think 120 would be fine. But yes, I wish it wasn't so expensive. If you know of a deal please let me know!

Josephine

One Too Many
Do you have a screen to watch it on? I saw one (I'm guessing the kind with a stand) at a thrift store Friday. I didn't open it to see what shape it was or how much it was. Not that I can send it to you for cheaper than you can find it elsewhere. :)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:
Do you have a screen to watch it on? I saw one (I'm guessing the kind with a stand) at a thrift store Friday. I didn't open it to see what shape it was or how much it was. Not that I can send it to you for cheaper than you can find it elsewhere. :)

No! I don't! I was thinking of the wall! lol But a screen would be nice!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I saw the DCH bulb on eBay at wildly differing prices (starting at $18.99 plus shipping). The Sylvania bulbs mostly seem to be rated for 15 hours, but the others weren't listed.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
KilroyCD said:
I saw the DCH bulb on eBay at wildly differing prices (starting at $18.99 plus shipping). The Sylvania bulbs mostly seem to be rated for 15 hours, but the others weren't listed.

That's what I saw, too. :(

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Starius and Mr N, just you wait. Pretty soon I'll be buying some old theater seats & popcorn machine, plus LizzieMaine is experience with running a theater, so I'm sure in no time at all you'll all be coming to the Maine 8mm Cinema!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
I remember projectors in Grade school... I was there when the switch came to video tapes. No more threading the film and not more burning thought film. It all turned to squinting at a little box.

I loved it when the projectors had technical difficulties. That was when all us kids went nuts and had some unexpected playtime!

I never liked looking at a TV for class, either. People would have to move their desks to the front to get a better view.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Yeah I know exactly what you mean... It took time for the teacher or the TA's to setup the screen if their wasn't a rollaway over the board and then there were the cases where the teacher wasn't sure how to get the speed correct.

What will be interesting will be in another 10 years when all classes will have the giant star trek screen at the front... clear crisp and, well probably less educational.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
Yeah I know exactly what you mean... It took time for the teacher or the TA's to setup the screen if their wasn't a rollaway over the board and then there were the cases where the teacher wasn't sure how to get the speed correct.

What will be interesting will be in another 10 years when all classes will have the giant star trek screen at the front... clear crisp and, well probably less educational.

I have to wonder how many kids are watching the teacher's screen. Now that all kinds of digital devices are allowed in school, they are probably all texting friends.

In my day a digital watch with a calculator worn at test time was scandalous and grounds for accusations of cheating.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Nowadays you have Taco Bell Pizza Hut and any number of corporate emblems being pushed as standard school when children hit their lunch. Mac was big in schools for a while though many didn't really seel kids on Macs. Though films sponsored and made by McDonald's or Nike... that's something to wonder about. I myself like stuff made by the school district with bad acting and hard to talk about subjects.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
I myself like stuff made by the school district with bad acting and hard to talk about subjects.

Me too! I also liked the voiceover guy. I don't know if it was one man doing many films, but I recall that comforting all-knowing (but not know-it-all w/tude) voice of reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats