Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khaki Akubra?

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Akubra is one main producer I have yet to sample, and I see a color hole in my collection - a hat that goes very well with khaki-colored clothes. Optimally, I could kill two birds with one stone, but I seek hands-on knowledge. I can't tell online about all these fawns, etc Akubra offers. My list:

Boss of the Plains - Sorrel Tan Fawn
Campdraft - Taupe Fawn
Squatter - Deep Fawn
Casual / Traveller - Regency Fawn
Sydney / Fedora - Regency Fawn
Federation - Tawny Fawn

I can't tell from online swatches http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/sizechart.asp if these are too beige, which I don't think goes with khaki at all, or just brown. The "Military" model color is actuallly called khaki, but looks pretty green, and has some side-fastening thing I won't have.

If none of the Akubras are spot on, what else (in the way of a felt fedora) should I consider?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Don't go by those on-line swatches at all. They are terrible. I have the Campdraft in Taupe Fawn. I would describe it as a dark tan or very light brown. Very earthy, not bright in any way. I've found the color goes with quite a bit, and I wear khakis a lot. The Tawny Fawn of the Federation was described to me as being similar to Taupe Fawn.

My house is beige. I wouldn't call any of the fawn colors beige. Here are some pics of my Campdraft. The color isn't a perfect match to real life (the hat is a little lighter in person), but you can get the idea.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/michaelgarcia13/album/576460762351622304

MattJH

One Too Many
I have the Traveller in Regency Fawn and it's my all-purpose casual hat. There's no question in my mind that it'd go just fine with khaki. It goes with pretty much everything. I love it.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Thanks NB13!

Seeing an entire hat in a picture, along with something "white", lets me do a quick color balance in Picasa (very easy to do there). Yours was right on anyway, but I do that with ebay hats a lot, where the color balance is often way off.

Having to guess at the color is one huge drawback of buying online.

I agree with your description, Taupe Fawn looks light to very light brown to me. Thanks again for responding!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner