Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kiss of Death (1947)

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I recently watched this movie. Pretty good but what I want to talk about is the performance by Richard Widmark as the deranged killer Tommy Udo.

What a creepy character, chilled me down to the bone. The character's black shirt and suit foretold of villainy and Widmark made the most of it, smiling and chuckling all the way as he left a path of death and destruction. Pushing a wheelchair-bound old woman down the stairs? Brutal.
KissofDeath1947002.jpg

With the release of "The Dark Knight" and Ledger's great performance in it as the Joker, I would not be surprised if Widmark's performance was examined in the development of Ledger's performance as the Joker.
KissofDeath1947.jpg

Edit: I just read that Widmark was a big fan of Batman and was inspired by the Joker for this role. Cool!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
What I love about Kiss of Death is that Widmark is on the screen maybe a total of 15 minutes during the entire film and he completely steals the whole movie. Truely one of the greatest film noir roles ever and a major inspiration for The Joker. Classic.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Richard Widmark is also very chilling in No Way Out(1950). I haven't seen many actors that are this nightmarishly real in bad-men roles.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
On the totally other side of the coin, he made a great Ben Franklin, in the 1974 mini series "Ben Franklin". Probably the most accurate depiction ever.
I mean, what's not to love with Richard Widmark!!??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24